USAF chooses 747-8 as next Air Force One

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USAF chooses 747-8 as next Air Force One

The US Air Force on 28 January announced Boeing’s four-engined 747-8 Intercontinental airliner will serve as the next Air Force One, besting (beating?) the Airbus A380 as the next generation of aircraft specially outfitted to carry the US president.

Air Force Secretary Deborah Lee James says “the Boeing 747-8 is the only aircraft manufactured in the United States that, when fully missionised, meets the necessary capabilities established to execute the presidential support mission, while reflecting the office of the president of the United States of America consistent with the national public interest.”

The Air Force intends to purchase up to three 747-8s, but has not yet formalised a contract with Boeing. The decision was made through a "determinations and findings" document.

​The US Air Force on 28 January announced Boeing's four-engined 747-8 Intercontinental airliner will serve as the next Air Force One, besting the Airbus A380 as the next generation of aircraft specially outfitted to carry the US president.
    YSSY2/T-YSSY4 [SBS-1 Basestation w/- SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 Antenna (Thanks Delcomp) ] [Uniden UBCD996T w/- 16 element Wideband Discone VHF/UHF Antenna, and tuned 108MHz-137MHz Airband Antenna] [Trialing a home-brew 1090MHz collinear antenna]

do u expect them to fly their president in European-made plane???

Comment

Originally posted by kucengemok View Post
      Why not? They did this already with the space program.

Comment

Read the text before comment....
        The Air Force in 2007 first approached Airbus for information on the A380 and Lockheed about the C-5. Airbus subsequently declined to offer the A380 for the competition, saying it would be impractical to set up final assembly in the USA.
        For official support use Contact Form

Comment

I'm not exactly sure what your point is here. The article I posted is not an opinion piece and certainly not mine. They had discussions with Airbus. It actually deals with that question in the article. They required that the aircraft build (or the latter stages of it) be completed in the US and Airbus advised that they couldn't fulfil that part of an agreement. It was Airbus who bailed out, not the US. Simple as that.

Regards,
          Gregg
          Last edited by fungus; 2015-01-29, 20:06.
          YSSY2/T-YSSY4 [SBS-1 Basestation w/- SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 Antenna (Thanks Delcomp) ] [Uniden UBCD996T w/- 16 element Wideband Discone VHF/UHF Antenna, and tuned 108MHz-137MHz Airband Antenna] [Trialing a home-brew 1090MHz collinear antenna]

Comment

Originally posted by fungus View Post
            I'm not exactly sure what your point is here. The article I posted is not an opinion piece and certainly not mine. They had discussions with Airbus. It actually deals with that question in the article. They required that the aircraft build (or the latter stages of it) be completed in the US and Airbus advised that they couldn't fulfil that part of an agreement. It was Airbus who bailed out, not the US. Simple as that.

Regards,
            Gregg
            Re our discussion in another thread re twins soon to fly the south Pacific routes, I read this article elsewhere and was a little amused that the President is going to continue flying in a quad - no opening for twins where economy is not a consideration and survival is paramount.

Comment

Working...
            X