Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planes too close to receiver

hello,
    I have a DVB-T stick receiver and using DUMP1090 on Windows 7.
    My location is near the local international airport and during several hours a day and according to the winds direction the landing planes are flying approximately 2km from the receiver's location and ~1700 feet above ground level. This is when I'm loosing the signal probably because of overflowed receiver.
    This can be seen in the attached screenshot. The yellow arrow shows the distance between my location (the blue dot) and the planes route. The broken (straight) line is where I'm loosing the signal.

gain.jpg

My Dump1090 command line looks like this:
    dump1090.exe --net --net-http-port 7890 --enable-agc --gain 43 --aggressive
    I found this gain value by using Trial and Error method but I suspect there is an influence on the maximum receiver range.
    Is there a better way to configure Dump1090 for such situations or another way to find the optimal gain value?
    Currently I'm using the stock antenna and the receiver is located on ground level with only ~180 degrees of sky vision. I intend to move it to the roof for clear sky view and use a better antenna but I suspect this will make my problem even worse.
    Any thoughts?
    F-LLBG3, T-LLBG17

Not sure your command line is 100%, if you enabling AGC why are then setting a gain after it? if i recall correctly i think you set that to 0. type dump1090.exe /? it tells you.
    T-EGLF8

Comment

As above, you do need to check you have correct gain, But also you can try and lay the antenna on its side when you are having issues.

Remembering the best reception of a vertical antenna is to the sides, not often above. There may be a bit of loss if it's near overhead
      Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Originally posted by SpaxmoidJAm View Post
        Not sure your command line is 100%, if you enabling AGC why are then setting a gain after it? if i recall correctly i think you set that to 0. type dump1090.exe /? it tells you.
        I did some digging. Seems that there are two different gain settings: one is controlling the RTL AGC (--enable-agc option) and the other controls the tuner's gain (--gain option which can be set to auto gain with a -10 value, max gain when omitted, or a specific gain value).

Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
        As above, you do need to check you have correct gain, But also you can try and lay the antenna on its side when you are having issues.
        Remembering the best reception of a vertical antenna is to the sides, not often above. There may be a bit of loss if it's near overhead
        You're right and with planes flying right above me (~2000 ft height) I have no receiver overflow problems. I suspect that changing the angle of the antenna will cause a significant reduction of the receiver overall reception range.
        F-LLBG3, T-LLBG17

Comment

Originally posted by eshabi View Post
          You're right and with planes flying right above me (~2000 ft height) I have no receiver overflow problems. I suspect that changing the angle of the antenna will cause a significant reduction of the receiver overall reception range.
          Yeah.. I only meant as a short term test

Might point to some let downs of the antenna capability for where you are, and a stacked or different design may be better
          Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Working...
          X