No announcement yet.

DUMP1090 on Windows: no map display in browser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I created a pull request for this bug here: https://github.com/MalcolmRobb/dump1090/pull/63

Comment

Originally posted by Wolli View Post
      I have found the reason for that "bug", described in my 1st posting: I have now converted all files in the subdirectory "public-html" and its subdirectory "coolclock" from the DOS text format into the UNIX text format and now it's running as supposed to be,
      Wolli,
      Fantastic detective work, thank you.
      I loaded each file into notepad and did a save-as but changed the encoding from ANSI to Unicode,
      I had to do this for each .js file and the .css file.
      The other thing I noticed was that under win7 the security setting when you opened the properties dialog was set to blocked for most of the .js files, however selecting unblock and restarting did not help, it only worked after changing the encoding.
      I also tried a new installation using WinZip, however that did not work either.(the encoding was still wrong)
      It looks like the files had the wrong encoding from the start.
      Again many thanks for solving the mystery.
      Ben.
      FR24 F-EGLF1, Blitzortung station 878, OGN Aldersht2, PilotAware PWAldersht, PlanePlotter M7.

Comment

Originally posted by F-EGLF1 View Post
        ...I also tried a new installation using WinZip, however that did not work either.(the encoding was still wrong)
        It looks like the files had the wrong encoding from the start....
        Ah. So this sounds as if the html/css/js-files contained in the zipfile are already in the Windows/DOS text file format (i.e. with CR+LF at the end of each line). OK, good to know. So Windows users should check after extracting, whether these files are in the UNIX format (i.e. line separator is just LF) or in DOS/Windows format (line separator is CR+LF). They have to be in the UNIX format, otherwise problems like the one I noticed (in my 1st posting) may occur.

Thread readers not familiar with this rather technical matter may have a look at the Newline article in wikipedia, especially the sections "History" and "Common problems", to understand what it's all about, and the section "Conversion utilities" to see, how to convert a text file into the UNIX text file format. I myself use the text editor PFE for plain text editing for about 20 years now (which has also the mentioned conversion feature).
        Last edited by Wolli; 2014-12-30, 10:12.

Comment

i was looking a the firefox debug and noticed the the JS errors too, the weird thing is if you double click the gmap.html directly the page will load with the map displayed.

So it must be the way dump1090 uses the files.
          T-EGLF8

Comment

Originally posted by SpaxmoidJAm View Post
            i was looking a the firefox debug and noticed the the JS errors too, the weird thing is if you double click the gmap.html directly the page will load with the map displayed.

So it must be the way dump1090 uses the files.
            It is a bug in how the dump1090 internal webserver serves the static files, on Windows only - see my post above.

Comment

Execute:
              dump1090.exe --net --net-http-port 8080 --interactive

Then enter in the browser
              127.0.0.1:8080

Comment

Try this

I loaded each file into notepad and did a save-as but changed the encoding from ANSI to Unicode,
                I had to do this for each .js file and the .css file.
                The other thing I noticed was that under win7 the security setting when you opened the properties dialog was set to blocked for most of the .js files, however selecting unblock and restarting did not help, it only worked after changing the encoding.
                I also tried a new installation using WinZip, however that did not work either.(the encoding was still wrong)
                It looks like the files had the wrong encoding from the start.
                Again many thanks for solving the mystery.
                Ben.
                Its from this Board but i cant posting Links atm.
                T-EDDC34

Comment

Wolli,

Thank you! I could not for the life of me figure out why this was not working! I downloaded this just tonight (04-19-2016) and when I unzipped it I had the same result: the web interface would not load past what you had experienced. I had initially used the built-in Windows Zip tool (Windows 10), but I also tried unzipping with 7-Zip with the same result. I had to do as F-EGLF1 explained.

Thanks again!

Cheers,
                  Matthew

Comment

Ben (F-EGLF1),

Thank you for the clear explanation on how to easily change the encoding, everything works like a charm now!

Cheers,
                    Matthew

Comment

@mjh8154: Matthew, glad you could solve this problem using the above stated hints. Have a good time, and cheerio from Germany, -Wolli-

Comment

Amazing, I just ran into this problem as well. I was running fine on Win7 and was installing fresh download on a Win10 box - thought it was a Win10 problem! So grateful for this thread.

Comment

I just now burned Pi24 image (FR24's Jessie Lite with built-in data feeder) on my microSD card, inserted card in RPi, booted, configured FR24 feed, and started feeding data. So far so good, but when I want to see gmap.html in Browser on my windows Desktop by http://<IP address of RPi>:8080/, it does not show the page, I tried http://<IP address of RPi>/dump1090/gmap.html, but no success. Any ideas?

EDIT:
                          Checked contents of directory public_html, all files are there.
                          Code:
                          pi@raspberrypi:~ $ dir /usr/lib/fr24/public_html
                          config.js     gmap.html       script.js     
                          coolclock     options.js      style.css     
                          extension.js  planeObject.js
                          Last edited by abcd567; 2016-07-21, 18:51.

Comment

Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
                            I just now burned Pi24 image (FR24's Jessie Lite with built-in data feeder) on my microSD card, inserted card in RPi, booted, configured FR24 feed, and started feeding data. So far so good, but when I want to see gmap.html in Browser on my windows Desktop by http://<IP address of RPi>:8080/, it does not show the page, I tried http://<IP address of RPi>/dump1090/gmap.html, but no success. Any ideas?

EDIT:
                            Checked contents of directory public_html, all files are there.
                            Code:
                            pi@raspberrypi:~ $ dir /usr/lib/fr24/public_html
                            config.js     gmap.html       script.js     
                            coolclock     options.js      style.css     
                            extension.js  planeObject.js
                            Whats the log report on service start? They may have the --net toggle off by default to save new user confusion?
                            Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Did you check the encoding of the html files as noted in an earlier reply?

Comment

Originally posted by ultrarunner View Post
                                Did you check the encoding of the html files as noted in an earlier reply?
                                I think what he is doing is real-life testing (as a normal user would) to see what does and doesn't work. We know of the fix and manual install process, but there seems to be some issues with the out of box experience I suspect hes trying to raise with someone to take notice and fix
                                Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Working...
                                X