Fr24 Power supply HF Interference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dushan View Post
    My power supply died and now the FR24 supplied receiver won't connect to my home internet. I used a differen power supply and the unit is on, the power, receiver and GOS lights are on but the Ethernet cable lights are not on and I cannot connect to the unit with my browser.

Everything else works fine and nothing has changed. Plugging the Ethernet cable into the laptop computer works fine, so again it is not the cable or the cable modem.
    If this is asking for help, it is their owned equipment and you need to mail the support desk for off-forum help
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

MODS; As usual, if you feel this post would be better placed elsewhere by all means do so.

Guys,

I'd like to chime in here with a couple of important points re power supplies etc. As a retired electrician I wouldn't recommend anyone just throwing in another power supply whether on FR24 supplied gear or your own without first considering the implications;

Firstly, as mentioned by Oblivian, it belongs to FR24 (in the case above) and they should be consulted as he states off forum via support.

Secondly, there are many different electrically rated (and thermal also) power supplies and you cant just throw in one you may have laying around and what follows applies especially in cases where you may want to run your unit 24/7.

Next, there seems to be a propensity to instal units and cabling in roofs and/or lofts etc in order to shorten the length of antenna cable to the unit/s and run usb or ethernet/other cables into the building. Whilst admirable and in many cases a necessity it can be dangerous from a number of perspectives. One needs to consider a couple of things where this can go awry. Heat in some roof structures can be extreme and damage electrical components and start fires (I don't want to be alarmist but we must be realistic). I can't enter my roof space in the height of summer due to the heat (and I'm also now a qualified card carrying old fart).

Also rodents love electrical cable and in my experience they (the smaller variety such as mice) seem to prefer the single insulated basic red/black/brown/green and yellow/green PVC insulation to almost anything else. My shed is full of colourful mouse droppings of all colours from cables and bits of cables I've got laying about in there. One thing they don't seem to go for, although I'll stand corrected on this, is the double insulated 'TPS' (principally white here in Australia) outer covering. They absolutely love single insulated cables of all types.

Please use caution when installing gear in roof spaces, especially if you have rodents of any size already. Also, bear in mind those specifications of power supplies and the heat specs of any unit you may be placing there. Each power supply has it's own (usually) limited use or purpose and they can't be mixed and matched unless you know what you're doing. If unsure, contact support or call in an expert to install wiring and gear in general actually, you can very easily run into issues you may not anticipate. It may be low voltage but can still get you into all sorts of problems, even falling off a ladder as this dopey bloke did!

Regards,
      Gregg

BTW this isn't aimed at anyone in particular, just a general warning- please use caution. You want to live long enough to enjoy the hobby.

I know this thread is about power supply HF interference but this topic is too important- you should experience less of that too if you get an expert in to instal/repair your setup. Interference can just as easily be induced from your 240 volt household mains in certain circumstances.
      Last edited by fungus; 2016-05-09, 06:03.
      YSSY2/T-YSSY4 [SBS-1 Basestation w/- SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 Antenna (Thanks Delcomp) ] [Uniden UBCD996T w/- 16 element Wideband Discone VHF/UHF Antenna, and tuned 108MHz-137MHz Airband Antenna] [Trialing a home-brew 1090MHz collinear antenna]

Comment

Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
        If this is asking for help, it is their owned equipment and you need to mail the support desk for off-forum help
        Just a quick one on this...

From my experimenting with power supplies, I got the same issue with some smaller PSU's so probably too small, My best results are with a 5vDC 3A supply.
        """Learning is a treasure which accompanies us everywhere"""

Comment

Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
          Not asking for "official" help, just posting in case someone ran into a similar situation and has a solution. I already emailed the formal support asking them what to do next.
          Last edited by Dushan; 2016-05-09, 11:46.

Comment

Update...
            After several attempts to revive the unit, including rebooting from a Micro SD card, it was officially declared dead. A new one is on the way and thus one on the way back.

I suspect that a nearby lighting strike, around the time when it went off line, is responsible.

Comment

Working...
            X