No announcement yet.

FR24 receiver Max accepted temperature?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The main issue for receiver is... We want to put antenna as high as possible but with coaxial cable as short as possible too.

Thats why we need to put receiver in outdoor enclosure than we got another problem with heat, if Mr 1090 Mhz said that Power Supply Adapter not support with extra heat how about with DC-DC Converter ? I bought it from aliexpress.com (picture attached) and I hope its can stand more longer in heat condition.

My friend, ATC from WITT (F-WITT3) put the receiver in ATC Tower Room but the receiver got only 20nm than its come better after fr24 change/upgrade with other receiver maybe with noise filter, because too many RF signal from VHF Airband, HF, etc from that tower. I tried with flightaware reveiver too on that ATC tower than it only got about 50nm.
    F-WITT3 receiver installed in ATC Room with Air Condition, but it still about 45-50 Celcius (picture attached). I think receiver generated more heat by its self than environment condition.

Maybe in this forum we can share best, small, cheap cooling system and RF protection for the receiver

IMG_20150309_084116.jpg
    IMG_20150309_085844.jpg
    IMG_20150309_090145.jpg

T-WITT1
    F-WITT2
    Last edited by saidmunawar; 2015-03-09, 02:14.

Comment

My FR24 receiver is also running at between 56-60 C in doors. The design must make it run so hot I think.

Anyway, have you come up with an idea how to keep your waterproof box cool up the telekom tower?

How about this enclosure? As long as you position the open front to the North or South, the sun wont shine directly into it.

DSC00274.JPG

Comment

Originally posted by saidmunawar View Post
        Hello, I'm from Aceh - Indonesia, I put the receiver in outdoor enclosure too, but I added fan with solar panel on it, but the temperature still reach 62 celcius when sun light really bright at mid day. Outdoor temperature is about 34 Celcius, I think this receiver need some heat sink for its processor.
        hello to you Sir and you started a very good discussion!

so there are couple of issues for you:
        1) temperature of the FR24 receiver
        2) ?PoE
        3) RF intereference

for issue 1, I believe FR24 have no cut off temperature to say below this temperature receiver ok above this temperature receiver not ok.
        For my receiver the temperature runs around 55-57degree C in my room, no air conditioning or fan is running most of the time. What is yours limpost? And for you peter 1090mhz your receivers runs a bit warm even winter time? One thing for sure is the receiver does get quite warm. So if you put it outside in an enclosed box it is not surprised to see it go around 65 degree C or more. Our friend lazarote might be able to give a bit of insight as to how hot he receivers get and whether it works fine.

Very neat work for the receiver in the enclosure! I am really impressed by it.

2) For PoE FR24 somehow is not keen with it - Mike has said Gunter, the maker of radarcape/FR24 receiver has reported problems with powering the receiver via PoE. They tend to get short circuited. The advice by who (a member in this forum) is so long the PoE at certificed at IEEE 802.3af for both power injector and splitter it should work fine. So just make sure you can source certified PoE injector and splitter, brands like D-Link do. see the post by mike here http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...ll=1#post61668
        it really is a shame for someone who can place the antenna high but due to cable length/receiver power supply issue that height is limited.

3) Yes, being at a place where many frequency is running will degrade ads-b 1090mhz reception. So using a band pass filter/3 pole filter is preferred in situations like that.

Now, this leads to...

a) There is an active PCB antenna available from this website http://shop.jetvision.de/epages/6480...Products/68200. The bias T is powered by USB power (5V i think) and injects power to the antenna's build in amplifier. It has a 21db gain after amplified so it should be able to help in your situation since yours is a tall tower, and you might be able to place the receiver and it's enclosure further down/at the base with a long cable but less signal loss? It also comes pre build to receive 1090mhz only so RF interference is avoided. A bit more information here: http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...6871#post46871
        It is expensive and also perhaps there might be additional import charges/tax though so that might be a problem. Just a suggestion of course, so that you know this product exists.

b) We don't often hear from ATC people on FR24 and I am thrilled that at WITT one of the receiver is managed by ATC people. WITT2 & 3 both have good ranges (WITT3 goes furthest!) and it was quite a wait to finally have a few good feeders from there feeding to FR24. Thank you!

I presume you should have a few contacts of ATC around, there is a 'wish list' coverage for indonesia, please see here: http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...ll=1#post63616
        Perhaps you can help find potential hosts for the list of Sumatra? Kepulauan Anambas is also high on the wish list. Don't worry... if cannot never mind. There is also a FB group for Indonesian Feeders found at the radar indonesia thread top of page 7. Keep showing us pics of the set up very nice to see your work!

(by the way, the picture with workers at the top of tower, they don't seem to be wearing any harness at all?)
        Last edited by North Borneo Radar; 2015-03-09, 12:18.

Comment

Very usefull information share from North Borneo, I'm really agree with all your opinion, we can use noise filter, good POE splitter or maybe we can make outdoor enclosure with good cooling system, but of course it will need more money make it.

I'm just want to upgrade the receiver with low cost and DIY base on my electronic knowledge or from forum like this one.

FYI...
          T- WITT1 my first data share with RTL USB dongle but not 24hr and I'm using not compatible antenna (L-Com 5.4Ghz wifi antenna)
          IMG_20150309_080020.jpg

F-WITT2, Installed on telecom tower but now I move it temporary due to electric problem.
          My first box directly use 220v with Power Supply Adapter in it.
          IMG_20150309_075845.jpg

F-WITT3, this receiver applied by my friend, he work as ATC, the reveicer install in control room and antenna on the roof.

Temperature compare F-WITT2 (in outdoor box) and F-WITT3 (in ATC room), 8:15PM GMT +7
          IMG_20150309_081336.jpg
          IMG_20150309_081225.jpg

Comment

Very usefull information share from North Borneo, I'm really agree with all your opinion, we can use noise filter, good POE splitter or maybe we can make outdoor enclosure with good cooling system, but of course it will need more money make it.

I'm just want to upgrade the receiver with low cost and DIY base on my electronic knowledge or from forum like this one.

FYI...
            T- WITT1 my first data share with RTL USB dongle but not 24hr and I'm using not compatible antenna (L-Com 5.4Ghz wifi antenna)
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]5774[/ATTACH]

F-WITT2, Installed on telecom tower but now I move it temporary due to electric problem.
            My first box directly use 220v with Power Supply Adapter in it.
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]5775[/ATTACH]

F-WITT3, this receiver applied by my friend, he work as ATC, the reveicer install in control room and antenna on the roof.

Temperature compare F-WITT2 (in outdoor box) and F-WITT3 (in ATC room), 8:15PM GMT +7
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]5776[/ATTACH]
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]5777[/ATTACH]
            for your own setup T-WITT1, perhaps you can DIY an antenna, either a dipole or CoCo... so you can get better signal reception. Antenna thread has info but too much so hard to find.

Hm for WITT2 perhaps is best to approach via PoE and wrap with aluminium foil to reflect heat? You can send FR24 support an email asking their thoughts for the receiver being at the top of the tower and you are concerned about temperature. They will have some information since they have thousands of receivers and I am sure there is a similar case to refer to.

Comment

Cik Limpost,

Thanks for your suggest, I must think what kind of roof suitable for the box that really strong and realible, because I will put the box on top of telecom tower.
              When first time I receive I put the Receiver on that tower, but I got electric problem to the box, and with new box I installed PoE support with 12v Adaptor than I use DC-DC converter to 5v. I think it more safe with 12V power supply to my Box than 220V AC.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5759[/ATTACH]
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]5758[/ATTACH]
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]5760[/ATTACH]

T-WITT1
              F-WITT2
              Pak,

Any latest news regarding your effort to put the receiver box up the telecom tower.

Comment

I'm not put it on telecom tower again after I made new box, but on small triangle tower to evaluate the condition and it seem everything ok, after I put another cooling fan facing to receiver, max temp about 55 celcius (01.00pm), and now about 46 celcius (7.38pm), I'll send new photo for second fan.
                I asked fr24 support about my installation, the answer is ok.

Screenshot_2015-03-25-19-38-04.jpg
                IMG_20150315_100114.jpg
                Screenshot_2015-03-25-19-37-23.jpg
                Last edited by saidmunawar; 2015-03-25, 13:04.

Comment

so nice you have access to towers.

Comment

I'm not put it on telecom tower again after I made new box, but on small triangle tower to evaluate the condition and it seem everything ok, after I put another cooling fan facing to receiver, max temp about 55 celcius (01.00pm), and now about 46 celcius (7.38pm), I'll send new photo for second fan.
                    I asked fr24 support about my installation, the answer is ok.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5803[/ATTACH]
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]5804[/ATTACH]
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]5805[/ATTACH]
                    Very happy that you have solved the heating problem. Now to put the receiver is its permanant position. The higher the better. Well done.

Comment

I'll extend 1 stick (5 meter) for that triangle guyed tower next month, I hope it will increase the coverage, now max receive distance 260nm.

Screenshot_2015-03-15-17-52-38.jpg
                      Screenshot_2015-03-15-17-52-55.jpg

Comment

I'll extend 1 stick (5 meter) for that triangle guyed tower next month, I hope it will increase the coverage, now max receive distance 260nm.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5808[/ATTACH]
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]5807[/ATTACH]
                        Was just looking at your area. Your range is quite good Tracking aircraft into the Indian Ocean. F-WITT3 is also long.

Comment

Do you know how fr24 choose which radar will show in website/app when same aircraft signal receive by 2 or more receiver ?
                          Usually F-WITT2 and 3 have same number of tracked AC, I assume it received from same AC.

Screenshot_2015-03-25-21-47-27.jpg
                          Screenshot_2015-03-25-21-47-09.jpg

Comment

Do you know how fr24 choose which radar will show in website/app when same aircraft signal receive by 2 or more receiver ?
                            Usually F-WITT2 and 3 have same number of tracked AC, I assume it received from same AC.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5811[/ATTACH]
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]5812[/ATTACH]
                            The radar code displayed is at random selected by their decoding website. They will use all the information received from both receivers to display the aircraft position.

One point I notice in your above post. Location of WITT3 is 19.5m (AMSL) Above Mean Sea Level
                            WITT2 is showing -8.1m (AMSL) below sea level?

Comment

I dont know why the GPS from receiver showing like that, its different with google earth, which one more accurate ?

F-WITT3.jpg
                              F-WITT2.jpg

Comment

I dont know why the GPS from receiver showing like that, its different with google earth, which one more accurate ?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5824[/ATTACH]
                                [ATTACH=CONFIG]5825[/ATTACH]
                                I think you FR24 GPS receiver is faulty. Suggest highlight to support.

Comment

Working...
                                X