Dashed line in aircraft track

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dashed line in aircraft track

I've noticed a few of these in the last couple of days. Anyone care to explain the significance or have I missed something?aca34.jpg

Originally posted by airnrail View Post
    I've noticed a few of these in the last couple of days. Anyone care to explain the significance or have I missed something?[ATTACH=CONFIG]4578[/ATTACH]
    I have noticed it too. I assume that it is projected track as the location that I have noticed it is well away from land based receivers.

Comment

Updated web page...

I'll hazard a guess, it's where FR24 dont have the primary data for the aircraft plot - it shows where the data has come from the FAA, etc.

It will be interesting to see what is shown where you gat a flight that goes from FR24 monitored space through an area where FR24 have no data before re-appearing (Johannesburg to Sydney for example)

Comment

Originally posted by peterhr View Post
        Updated web page...

I'll hazard a guess, it's where FR24 dont have the primary data for the aircraft plot - it shows where the data has come from the FAA, etc.

It will be interesting to see what is shown where you gat a flight that goes from FR24 monitored space through an area where FR24 have no data before re-appearing (Johannesburg to Sydney for example)
        The Air Canada flight in my earlier screen shot seems to bear out that theory. The flight is within FR24 range up to a couple of hundred kms from east coast of Australia, disappears until it is picked up briefly by either or both of Noumea and Vanuatu feeders then is gone again until it appears hours later south of Hawaii on FAA. Depending on route it may re-appear on FR24 close to Hawaii then back to FAA until close to Vancouver where it is picked up by FR24 receivers either in Canada or USA. The dashed line seems to appear only between Noumea/Vanuatu and where FAA coverage starts.

Comment

The Air Canada flight in my earlier screen shot seems to bear out that theory. The flight is within FR24 range up to a couple of hundred kms from east coast of Australia, disappears until it is picked up briefly by either or both of Noumea and Vanuatu feeders then is gone again until it appears hours later south of Hawaii on FAA. Depending on route it may re-appear on FR24 close to Hawaii then back to FAA until close to Vancouver where it is picked up by FR24 receivers either in Canada or USA. The dashed line seems to appear only between Noumea/Vanuatu and where FAA coverage starts.
          Still pretty much a work in progress I suspect. It is a nice idea... implemented correctly it will reflect better where coverage is not present, and also clearly showing it is an estimated route taken. At the moment it seems to be a bit of a hit and miss (server response also seems to be like that, but that is a different matter).
          Last edited by North Borneo Radar; 2014-08-09, 01:20.

Comment

It would be good to do the same where the position is projected / estimated from the last fix if there has been no fix for - say - 10s (on the ground / low MLAT)

Comment

Fredrik talked about it on this page.

Flightradar24 shows gaps with a dotted line.

FlightAware began drawing gap areas with a white line instead of its regular green flight-path line

There are limitations in the flight-tracking data. FlightAware and Flightradar24 have gaps in radar coverage areas. That forces their computers to make assumptions about flight paths that can make a flight appear to pass over an area—North Korea, for example—when it actually skirted around it. United Flight 976 from Washington's Dulles International Airport to Dubai looks like it passes over northern Syria on FlightAware, but each day it actually skirts the Syrian border to the north and travels down the Iraq-Iran border to the Persian Gulf. Flightradar24 shows the path avoiding Syria

Brian

www.RadarSpotters.eu
              [ Feeder Station List ][ Map ][ Latest Feeders Rank Stats ][ ImRadarFeeder.com Radar Feeders WorldWide Map ][ VRS Feeder List ] (NEW)

Comment

The dashed line is the same as it has been on data-pages for months, no coverage.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                  The dashed line is the same as it has been on data-pages for months, no coverage.
                  OK, question answered but what are data pages? These dashed lines are new to the web version of FR24.

Comment

OK, question answered but what are data pages? These dashed lines are new to the web version of FR24.
                    "Data/history" button at the top of said webpage.

When you lookup a flight IE http://www.flightradar24.com/data/fl...nz888/#406e6c3 and select it using the wee plane icon at the end. You'll see dashes.
                    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

The dash lines indicating coverage is not present seems to be working better now for flight route, coming in nicely. Should help with people trying to identify where coverage is not available at all. Liking this new feature.

Comment

There has been several updates released to the dashed line this week, and some more changes will be made available in the coming weeks.

Comment

Working...
                        X