Page 69 of 69 FirstFirst ... 1959676869

Thread: PHILIPPINE RADAR FORUM

Is Your FR24 Receiver Still MLAT Capable?...How to Check

It takes 4 FR24 receivers with overlapping coverage to be able to track Mode-S aircraft if all of the receivers GPS modules are connected or working. This is how to check.

The GPS module is attached to the mast with a small 5 mtr coax. If that is too short to go to the top of your mast extending the coax is possible with most any available coax installed somewhere between the module and the small connector at the end of the coax.

What the GPS Module does

1. It sets your location co-ordinates and elevation between the module location and average sea level.
    2. It detects the number of satellites it can view from your co-ordinates and their individual signal strengths.
    3. It receives the precise time from the satellites.
    4. Most all are needed for MLAT.

How to check your GPS Module

In your browser enter the local IP address for your receiver. You will land on the status page of the receiver. Below are the parts of a status page of a receiver that has GPS Module problems.

Notice number of satellites used =0 and the signal strength for all satellites is zero also.

If your GPS Module is working the status page will report for satellites used probably 10 and signal strengths for all.

Conclusion

I have had GPS Modules to fail due to water getting into them...they are not weatherproof. Do not mount them upside down with the cable coming out the top like they will do if they come unattached from the mast. If you do have a failure as noted on the status page, send a copy of it to support@fr24.com and they will send you a new one at no expense to you. If you want to extend the cable, cut the cable off the defective one and splice it on to the new one you receive.

In order to weatherproof the new one use tape and start at the bottom winding it tight up to the rubber at the top and wind back down to the rubber and back up. You will have 3 layers of tape that will shed water.

Hope this is helpful to you all and our tracking Mode-S aircraft on T-MLAT5 improves.

paradiselost AKA John
    Attached Files Attached Files

Passenger

F-RPLI1 reporting!

Quote Originally Posted by paradiselost View Post
    T-MLAT5 requires 4 FR24 receivers with overlapping coverage for MLAT tracking. At night or anytime if one or more turns off their internet coverage or FR24 receivers MLAT coverage ceases in that area. Several of our receivers are in Control Towers and are turned off if no flights are scheduled for their airport. Turning off the receivers or internet defeats the Safety service we provide.

Severe typhoon damage took out the Tuguegarao area receiver and maybe perhaps the Laoag receiver. One or more of these receivers were vital to MLAT and ADSB coverage to the far north Luzon area. If you are in one of these damaged areas and have some salvaged equipment contact Support at FR24 dot com and they will ship what you need to get back up and running.

paradiselost AKA John

Good day to all!

I have just installed and activated F-RPLI1 (I request a move from F-RPLI3 since F-RPLI1 is orphaned methinks). The receiver is located near Laoag City and is currently hosted on top of my parent's house.
    I plan to move it to my 80ft tower nearby since the current location is obstructed by a mall at E to SE side.

PS. first post!

Best Regards,
    Ren
    Last edited by mrna; 2019-01-10 at 12:34.

F-RPLI1 Congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by mrna View Post
    Good day to all!

I have just installed and activated F-RPLI1 (I request a move from F-RPLI3 since F-RPLI1 is orphaned methinks). The receiver is located near Laoag City and is currently hosted on top of my parent's house.
    I plan to move it to my 80ft tower nearby since the current location is obstructed by a mall at E to SE side.

PS. first post!

Best Regards,
    Ren
    Ren, been following you all day as F-RPLI3. WOW what tremendous range. You can track almost to Basco. F-RPUS1, south of you in San Fernando, has been off for a few days. The receivers that overlap some of your coverage are 2 Manila radars and one in Subic bay so MLAT activity is possible.

Yes F-RPLI1 hasn't been seen in over a year.

We're glad to have you join us!

paradiselost AKA John

Passenger
    Thanks for the warm welcome!

Yes. I think the longest range I got is ~300Nm.

In aid of MLAT, I hope to install a 2nd receiver at my brother's place further east, beyond Cordillera at Abulug, Cagayan.
    This will provide fuller coverage for Batanes, but I dunno how reception will be affected by mountain ranges due east and west of the area.

OT: I reported about Paradise Lost by John Milton waay way back in high school.

Regards, Ren

Coverage from Abulug!

Quote Originally Posted by mrna View Post
    Thanks for the warm welcome!

Yes. I think the longest range I got is ~300Nm.

In aid of MLAT, I hope to install a 2nd receiver at my brother's place further east, beyond Cordillera at Abulug, Cagayan.
    This will provide fuller coverage for Batanes, but I dunno how reception will be affected by mountain ranges due east and west of the area.

OT: I reported about Paradise Lost by John Milton waay way back in high school.

Regards, Ren
    Ren look at the coverage map from Abulug.

https://www.heywhatsthat.com/?view=BRAEECWM

paradiselost AKA John

F-RPVD1 is Offline__Returning Damaged Receiver

I have been offline since the 19th, the receiver will not power on....no LEDs lit.

Since the history of this receiver has gone through several AC adapters, I attempted to get a replacement locally to no avail. My technician checked the adapter and it was ok but the receiver would not power on with it connected.

I host another receiver that uses the same adapter so tried it with the FR24 to no avail.

Support advised me to send the receiver back to them by postal mail. I boxed up the receiver and presented it to PhilPost but it was refused because it contained metal. Since it was originally delivered by DHL, I stopped by DHL with the package but they looked at the P.O. box that Support had given me and said they could not accept the package without a street address. I passed this information back to FR24 Support. In their original instructions they said to not use a Courier.

FR24 with this on the ground information sent me a prepaid shipping label and invoice which I printed and presented to DHL with the box. DHL needed to verify that FR24 had an account with them to pay the shipping and fees. The Shipping label didn't contain the DHL account number so they refused it again.

Evidently, the package was due to be shipped out of Manila the 3rd of July.

That date is quickly approaching and I have not received guidance from FR24.

F-RPVM3 had similar difficulties returning F-RPVM1.

If you need to return FR24 receivers that have failed, be aware the procedures can be daunting.

paradiselost AKA John

Re: F-RPVD1 is Offline__Returning Damaged Receiver

Quote Originally Posted by paradiselost View Post
    I have been offline since the 19th of June, the receiver will not power on....no LEDs lit.

F-RPVM3 had similar difficulties returning F-RPVM1 and getting a replacement.

If you need to return FR24 receivers that have failed, be aware the procedures can be daunting.
    FR24 uses a Post Office box to receive returned equipment so don't be dismayed. The booking with DHL Sweden by FR24 and the shipping labels they send by email are all you need.

Your local DHL office probably doesn't know how to receive a package booked by DHL Sweden and will ask for additional information. Additional information is only needed if you are making a DHL booking to send a package to Sweden and paying for it. THIS IS NOT NEEDED....FR24 and DHL Sweden have already done that.

Your local DHL office will have to consult with DHL Manila while you're there to receive the package.

On your Waybill that you print, verify that your address is complete. If your printer skips lines that will require DHL Manila reprint one delaying the shipment. The Waybill Number, names and addresses have to be correct and machine readable.

If you have DHL questions here is a shortened version of the chat link that operates during business hours:

https://tinyurl.com/y2gc84kr

Keep your Waybill Number handy because it will always be asked for.

My replacement receiver is currently being held up by Customs.

paradiselost
    F-RPVD1
    Dumaguete
    Last edited by paradiselost; 2019-07-24 at 22:00.