PHILIPPINE RADAR FORUM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by paradiselost View Post
    On either server, when a local IP changes the local addresses may change also depending on the number of devices on your local network. The RPI doesn't have a fixed IP in it's firmware so you may need to search for it after a power outage. The FR24 receiver software allows you to give that receiver a fixed IP so that after a power failure the receiver stays on the local port you configure. Originally, Zamboanga and I worked out a concept using Virtual Radar to share our information. PlaneFinder receivers do not set a local IP either. I have the same tribulations you guys have and just try to stay on top of it. Various pictures of when 10 mtrs is not enough coax and an example how to deploy more than one antenna on a mast.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]10019[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]10020[/ATTACH]

John to normal people....paradiselost to virtual friends.
    You antenna setup looks nice.. How long is the mast? Is it 6meters? Are you using gi or stainless pipes? Is the mast 1.5 or 2"

Comment

• Originally posted by hacker.ph View Post
      You can get the adapters at Lazada. Expect 1-3 weeks delivery since most of the connectors are shipped from China. They have almost everything (sma, bnc, n, uhf etc..) and they deliver door to door.
      Malcolm, I think from your description this is what you need. https://www.lazada.com.ph/products/2...129736058.html

There is also a small idiosyncrasy with the FIBR modem. If you connect lan1 to your pc or laptop and a device like your RPI to lan2 they both will have interactive access to the internet.....but they won't be able to interact with each other.

Since I have lots of devices I connect to lan1 to a gigabyte switch and to the switch the pc and devices....now all the devices are available to the pc or laptop and you can run programs like VirtualRadar. Several of the computer stores like Octagon have them for about P1600 or so. The one I use is a D-Link 8 port switch.

If you are running a server from your pc and you have a dynamic WAN IP since I use NO-IP in the NO-IP configuration I enter the local IP of the PC which I have made static. It won't work if your server is set to automatic addressing. Folks from the internet will get the error.

Again, wish you luck
      Last edited by paradiselost; 2019-01-03, 04:31.

Comment

• Hi John, I thought it might be Milton from the Paradise Lost connection. OK I dragged the position of your base to my location and it drew a new plot. I expected it to give me a new ID. It didnt, I'll have to start fresh. Hope it didnt disturb your data. Try this one titled Hillsview rooftop http://www.heywhatsthat.com/?view=MW2BGVMP
        I've ordered a SMA connector from Lazada, but dont have much confidence in their delivery from previous experience.
        Interesting setup you have, I will examine the details more closely. At home in the UK I have allocated a static IP to the RPi from my router and it works fine. The PLDT router doesn't give such flexibility, in fact its locked down so that you can't make any admin changes except the wifi name. But I'm working on it.

Comment

You antenna setup looks nice.. How long is the mast? Is it 6meters? Are you using gi or stainless pipes? Is the mast 1.5 or 2"
          The mast is 1.5 inch GI. I am going to guess it is up 10 meters because my cables are 10 mtrs long and the receivers are mounted under a shelter out of the weather. I have the power going through a light switch which i use to reset the receivers if necessary. Other than that power is supplied to the two receivers 24/7. The FR24 and the PlaneFinder receivers are out there. The FlightAware RPI is mounted in a box above my desk.

In over 2 years the only problem I have encountered is AC adapters sometime fail from thermal or other causes. Each time FR24 Support supplied replacements when I couldn't get them off the shelf locally. From January of last year I began noticing reduced range for the FR24 receiver until the range dropped down to 50 miles. Suspecting either antenna or coax problems FR24 shipped a replacement set. It took a long time to arrange for climbers but when we replaced the antenna and coax normal range continued. With the antenna and old coax on the ground I noticed a mashed place on the coax....not enough for a short but definitely a change in the resistance of the coax. Antenna looked ok so I had the climber replace the new antenna he just put up with the old.

Over the years FR24 has had two vendors for their antenna. One had an open connection where you attached the N Connector and you had to weather seal and another had a built-in shroud that covered the connection. Both antennas are good performers but from a reliability standpoint the one with the shroud weather seals better so even a novice can make a weathertite connection. After 3 typhoons in 2 years the connection on the shrouded antenna didn't show the tell tale signs of water and corrosion.

Comment

• Your map looked fine. at the bottom if you change the 30,000 to 40,000 notice how your range pattern increases all the way from Zamboanga and Davao.

On your FIBR modem you can do more like port forwarding. I can help you with that.
            Last edited by paradiselost; 2019-01-03, 06:20.

Comment

The mast is 1.5 inch GI. I am going to guess it is up 10 meters because my cables are 10 mtrs long and the receivers are mounted under a shelter out of the weather. I have the power going through a light switch which i use to reset the receivers if necessary. Other than that power is supplied to the two receivers 24/7. The FR24 and the PlaneFinder receivers are out there. The FlightAware RPI is mounted in a box above my desk.

In over 2 years the only problem I have encountered is AC adapters sometime fail from thermal or other causes. Each time FR24 Support supplied replacements when I couldn't get them off the shelf locally. From January of last year I began noticing reduced range for the FR24 receiver until the range dropped down to 50 miles. Suspecting either antenna or coax problems FR24 shipped a replacement set. It took a long time to arrange for climbers but when we replaced the antenna and coax normal range continued. With the antenna and old coax on the ground I noticed a mashed place on the coax....not enough for a short but definitely a change in the resistance of the coax. Antenna looked ok so I had the climber replace the new antenna he just put up with the old.

Over the years FR24 has had two vendors for their antenna. One had an open connection where you attached the N Connector and you had to weather seal and another had a built-in shroud that covered the connection. Both antennas are good performers but from a reliability standpoint the one with the shroud weather seals better so even a novice can make a weathertite connection. After 3 typhoons in 2 years the connection on the shrouded antenna didn't show the tell tale signs of water and corrosion.
              Thanks for the info. That's what I have in mind for my next upgrade. 1.5 gi the default I think is 6meters in our local hardware. Currently I'm using a diy coco (balarad .. 8 elements) inside a ppr pipe indoor. Few years ago I fried my radio using a 12m long 1.5 gi mast with a vertical whip at the end. Lightning arrestors didn't do shit unless I'll go for the expensive ones. I might get lucky at 6m high and if if the lightning strikes the same place twice at least it's just a rpi and a common rtl dongle.

I have lots of rtl dongles on hand and sometimes I listen to naia tower/atis/ground control although sometimes signal is very weak. Again I need to put my vhf antenna outside.

Currently I'm averaging around 480 planes a day and a maximum range of 220nm. Definitely I might get better results if I put my coco outside. There are 2 cellsites nearby one of them is around 500meters and the other one is 1.3km. Purchasing a filter or a lna or both might get me better results but are expensive.

Anyway my first problem is still the mast and I need to convince my wife to agree to put a pipe again outside.

Comment

Thanks for the info. That's what I have in mind for my next upgrade. 1.5 gi the default I think is 6meters in our local hardware.

Currently I'm averaging around 480 planes a day and a maximum range of 220nm. Definitely I might get better results if I put my coco outside. There are 2 cellsites nearby one of them is around 500meters and the other one is 1.3km. Purchasing a filter or a lna or both might get me better results but are expensive.
                Around here grounding the mast is necessary, most lightning strikes nearby are picked up by the guy wires and fry everything connected to the mast. Drive a ground rod near the base of the mast and use heavy copper to connect it to the mast. This grounds the receiver through the braid in the coax.

Talking about interference from cell towers, one of the sites I admin is built on a clift and a cell tower is down the mountain so its radiating elements are within 50 mtrs of the FlightAware RPI receiver's antenna. Not a bit of interference because the RPI has a robust notch filter system tuned to 1090. In my early days with dongles I bought 2 interference filters...it was a waste of money and the insertion loss reduced the number of aircraft being tracked.

On sourcing the the GI pipe, I've found better pricing buying at construction materials outlets. Remember to also get a cap to prevent the mast from filling up with water. Water inside a GI pipe is like a cancer that will rob its strength over time by rusting out. With a multitude of at least #16 guywires it will keep your mast from falling into power lines or your house.

Put your antenna high enough to be able to look over green leaved trees and near-by multi-story buildings.

Comment

• Hi John, The whole PLDT router is idiosyncratic but thanks for the enlightenment about the LAN ports not speaking to each other. I just wish I could get into the software.
                  In fact when they were building my house they put CAT5E cables from the sala to the bedroom so I am running a BT Homehub5 from LAN1 as an AP and gigaswitch upstairs where my gear is so they are talking through the HH5. The only other thing on the PLDT LAN is the TV so I havn't faced that problem.
                  Any clues you can give about admin log in to the fibr router are welcome. I've tried everything I've seen onlin but they seem to have closed all the doors.

Comment

• Originally posted by Malcolml View Post
                    Hi John, The whole PLDT router is idiosyncratic but thanks for the enlightenment about the LAN ports not speaking to each other. I just wish I could get into the software.
                    In fact when they were building my house they put CAT5E cables from the sala to the bedroom so I am running a BT Homehub5 from LAN1 as an AP and gigaswitch upstairs where my gear is so they are talking through the HH5. The only other thing on the PLDT LAN is the TV so I havn't faced that problem.
                    Any clues you can give about admin log in to the fibr router are welcome. I've tried everything I've seen onlin but they seem to have closed all the doors.
                    Malcolm I checked and since PLDT changed the firmware the method I used to setup port forwarding didn't work now. Someone mentioned you can call PLDT support and they can give you admin access. You might tell them that you need to set a local static IP for devices. We did that before with DSL modems.

Sometimes stuff works and then it doesn't.

Comment

• A couple or so years ago, RPLL5 and I had a time letting the FR24 receiver to call home. I don't remember much of the specifics but we overcome it. It wasn't until later that PLDT rolled out FIBR down here.

Comment

• FR24 Receivers Working and Non-Working 1-4-2019

Working FR24 receivers 1-4-2019 in the Philippines

RADAR F-RPMO1 West Coast of Leyte, Ormoc
                        RADAR F-RPVA1 East Coast of Leyte, Tacloban
                        RADAR F-RPVB1 Northern Negros Occidental, Bacolod-Silay
                        RADAR F-RPVS1 San Jose, Antique, Pinay Island
                        RADAR F-RPUW1 Marinduque Airport, Marinduque Island
                        RADAR F-RPLB1 Subic Bay International Airport, Zambales, Luzon Island
                        RADAR F-RPWC1 Awang Airport, Cotabato
                        RADAR F-RPVR1 Roxas Airport (RXS) located in Roxas, Capiz, Panay Island
                        RADAR F-RPLL2 Cavite City, Cavite, Manila Suburb, Luzon Island
                        RADAR F-RPLL5 Imus City, Cavite, Luzon Island
                        RADAR F-RPUN1 AND RPUN2, Naga, Camarines Sur
                        RADAR F-RPUS1 San Fernando, La Union, Luzon
                        RADAR T-RPMD1 Davao City, Davao City, Davao del Sur, Mindanao
                        RADAR F-RPMO1 Ozamiz City, Misamis Occidental, Mindanao
                        RADAR F-RPML3 Cagayan De Oro City-Laguindingan, Misamis Oriental, Mindanao
                        RADAR F-RPVI1 Iloilo, Cabatuan, Panay Island
                        RADAR F-RPWE1 Butuan City, Agusan Del Norte, Mindanao
                        RADAR F-RPVK1 Kalibo, Aklan, Panay Island
                        RADAR F-RPVK2 Kalibo, Aklan, Panay Island
                        RADAR F-RPLP1 Legazpi City, Albay, Bicol island
                        RADAR F-RPVM3 Lahug, Cebu

Missing in Action

RADAR F-RPMZ2 Zamboanga, Zamboanga del Sur, Mindanao
                        RADAR F-RPMG1 Dipolog, Zamboanga Del Norte, Mindanao
                        RADAR F-RPMI1 Iligan City, Lanao del Norte, Mindanao
                        RADAR F-RPMD1 and 2 Davao City, Davao City, Davao del Sur, Mindano
                        RADAR F-RPVT1 Tagbilaran, Bohol
                        RADAR F-RPLC1 AND 2 Angeles City, Pampanga, Luzon
                        RADAR F-RPUB1 Baguio, Benguet, Luzon
                        RADAR F-RPUT1 Tuguegarao, Cagayan, Luzon
                        RADAR F-RPLI1 Laoag, Ilocos Norte, Luzon
                        RADAR F-RPVP1 Puerto Princesa, Palawan Island

paradiselost

Comment

• Originally posted by Malcolml View Post
                          Hi John, The whole PLDT router is idiosyncratic but thanks for the enlightenment about the LAN ports not speaking to each other. I just wish I could get into the software.
                          On our old house before we had a PLDT DSL and have full access to the router. Recently when they rolled out the Fibre plans they've changed the router and blocked all access to it. This prevents people from using port forwarding or self hosting configurations (since Fiber is fast they don't want to use their network for that unless your on a business plan). Now it's much worse (we've moved to a different location) there are no internet lines available (dsl, fiber and cable). Our only option is to go wireless (smart lte enterprise plan). Wireless networks in the Philippines are behind NAT which means all mobile users are using the same IP and it changes frequently (almost instantly even on the enterprise plans). To bypass this what I did is to install a vpn server on one of my servers abroad and redirect the port to the rpi. Lte enterprise plan have a minimum speed guarantee of 20mbps and a maximum of 42mbps or whatever your device is capable of and depends on the location.

rpi -> router(vpn client) -> lte modem -> server(vpn gateway)

sample setup: https://dump1090.hacker.ph/

Comment

Talking about interference from cell towers, one of the sites I admin is built on a clift and a cell tower is down the mountain so its radiating elements are within 50 mtrs of the FlightAware RPI receiver's antenna. Not a bit of interference because the RPI has a robust notch filter system tuned to 1090. In my early days with dongles I bought 2 interference filters...it was a waste of money and the insertion loss reduced the number of aircraft being tracked.
                            If I we're close to your location I would like to "borrow" the filters for the sake of testing

Comment

• It looks real good Hacker! From the boonies where you live 150 mile range is great. They say where there is a will there is a way...and you have found the way!

Comment

On our old house before we had a PLDT DSL and have full access to the router. Recently when they rolled out the Fibre plans they've changed the router and blocked all access to it. This prevents people from using port forwarding or self hosting configurations (since Fiber is fast they don't want to use their network for that unless your on a business plan).
                                I just installed FIBR at my church so we could get steady video for live streaming on a business plan. Same modem and same restrictions on business plan. The 10 mbs DSL plan is what they had and the upload speed was less than 1 mbs. For no extra money per month I upgraded them to the same download speed and as a bonus the upload speed is a bit more than download. PLDT charges P2500 for the modem which is billed on the first month bill.

On my FIBR modem before they upgraded the firmware knowing the pages where you can set things you could get into the modem and I set my Port Forwarding then for 5 or 6 ports I use with VirtualRadar. Their upgrade didn't bother what I had set. I've had FIBR since January last year. I upgraded from Globe 5mbs DSL and as a promotion for doing that they doubled the 50 mbs plan to 100 mbs for 6 months. Even though the FIBR box across the street was up in November it took about a month for them to commission it and schedule my installation.

I have another Globe 5 mbs dsl plan here in the house running a BPO, I am considering a faster plan since Globe has dropped the 3 year termination agreement.

In this market Globe couldn't give away DSL in competition with FIBR.

From what I have read, if you need to get into the modem, tech support can give you access. Don't expect help in making it work when changing over from DSL because the contract installers just know connecting FIBR and nothing about your setup....that is on you and Google. All of the ADSB receivers use very little data so speed is not a problem.

paradiselost....or...John

Comment

Working...
                                X