Thread: ADSB in the Gulf of Mexico

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Passenger

ADSB in the Gulf of Mexico

Very interesting article on ADSB in the Gulf of Mexico on their helicopter flights.

https://www.aea.net/AvionicsNews/ANA...eingFlight.pdf

and apparently they need more than one.. maybe FR24 can supplement?

http://www.ainonline.com/aviation-ne...-vulnerability

Passenger
    That article was back in 2011. Things have come a long way in GOMEX. More helicopters are equipped, new ADS-B specification (Version 2 or commonly called 'B' Spec) has been adopted for avionics and a LOT more radio stations have been installed in the CONUS, Alaska, Hawaii and Guam.

Passenger
    Quote Originally Posted by TNHunter View Post
    That article was back in 2011. Things have come a long way in GOMEX. More helicopters are equipped, new ADS-B specification (Version 2 or commonly called 'B' Spec) has been adopted for avionics and a LOT more radio stations have been installed in the CONUS, Alaska, Hawaii and Guam.
    Yeah, I know it was kind of old but still very interesting. I found another one last week but can't find it now that showed the equipment they had installed at various offshore platforms. Pretty cool stuff. My FR24 will pick up some of the PHM call sign helicopters from time to time but I'm too far inland from the coast to pick up the lower altitude ones. F-KNBG1 picks up a few of them as well. Wish we had some of those coastal or platform locations to watch the flights! I used to fly offshore all the time before the ADSB days and remember the grid style flights they talk about.

Passenger
    Quote Originally Posted by digiblur View Post
    Yeah, I know it was kind of old but still very interesting. I found another one last week but can't find it now that showed the equipment they had installed at various offshore platforms. Pretty cool stuff. My FR24 will pick up some of the PHM call sign helicopters from time to time but I'm too far inland from the coast to pick up the lower altitude ones. F-KNBG1 picks up a few of them as well. Wish we had some of those coastal or platform locations to watch the flights! I used to fly offshore all the time before the ADSB days and remember the grid style flights they talk about.
    Yea.. The radio station data is contained in a private network owned and maintained by a contractor service. The only real way to see them is a coastal radio with a high antenna and even then it would be limited.

Captain
    Do our simple receivers handle the 'B' spec transmissions?

Passenger
    Yes they should. It is filtered at the FAA Controller radar displays though I am told. The newer spec has greater accuracy requirements.