Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raspberry Pi using DUMP1090 to a csv file?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry Pi using DUMP1090 to a csv file?

Hi all,
    I am running a website - www.planespottinglog.co.uk . what i want to do is use my raspberry PI running dump1090 for both this site and my own. I wish for it to just create a CSV file to somewhere on the PI with the output you see on the console. does anyone know how to do this?

... if you have the standard dr24.sh script, the dump1090 line ends
    --quiet > /dev/null &

replace that with
    > somefile.txt

run it for 10 minutes, see how bit the file gets - it's not CSV, but you can handle that later

now you could pipe the output into a script to clean up the data and format it (a bash script will do it on the fly).

Comment

Hi
      That's great one question though any way of making it export ONLY the aircrafts HEX code like this:
      0ca61b
      3986ef

Etc?
      Last edited by david cummings; 2014-07-14, 10:47.

Comment

I will be making some simple programs to connect via network to the dump1090 daemon - this way it will be possible to save the data into your favorite file/db/whatever - plus, it won't require any changes to dump1090 itself. It will be opensourced of course

Comment

Originally posted by david cummings View Post
          Hi
          That's great one question though any way of making it export ONLY the aircrafts HEX code like this:
          0ca61b
          3986ef

Etc?
          there is a dump1090 parameter that's for debugging that does this. on your pi do

"./dump1090 --help"

to list all possible parameters

Comment

As promised - I started writing my little DSM program (Data Source Manipulator . It connects to DUMP1090 via network and then is able to do a bit more with the data. The point is to be able to do some serious antenna measurements as well as upload safely data into any database (incl. some modifications - or only selected columns etc.). I am writing it so that it should be very easy to extend it with simple plugins.

If you have good ideas - especially in the department of antenna measurements and data/db/upload capabilities - feel free to contact me directly. I will throw the source on Github at some point.

Selection_307.png

Comment

Writing dump1090 to database

Originally posted by peterhr View Post
              ... if you have the standard dr24.sh script, the dump1090 line ends
              --quiet > /dev/null&

replace that with
              > somefile.txt

run it for 10 minutes, see how bit the file gets - it's not CSV, but you can handle that later

now you could pipe the output into a script to clean up the data and format it (a bash script will do it on the fly).

Sir

I also want to write the data to a csv file. But I cannot understand the solution suggested by you! Could u expalin it?
              What is dr24.sh script?? and where I can find "quiet > /dev/null &" ??
              Please help.. I am a beginner ..
              Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by manojpjoseph View Post
                Sir

I also want to write the data to a csv file. But I cannot understand the solution suggested by you! Could u expalin it?
                What is dr24.sh script?? and where I can find "quiet > /dev/null &" ??
                Please help.. I am a beginner ..
                Thanks
                If you are using dump1090 there are a number of parameters you can use. if you go to the folder where the executable is and type
                ./dump1090 --help all the parameters and what they do are listed
                one of these will give you the output you desire listed to sysoutput (usually means your screen)

if you use > filename then sysoutput is directed to this file (or if the file is a program or a command is used as the sysinput stream to that program or command)

the fr24.sh make sence if your Pi is set as in post 8 in this thread http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...e-to-feed-FR24

Comment

How far did you get with your data storage project, micdobro? I'm also very interested in doing something like that, mostly to play with range plots and statistics and things.

Comment

Another interested in your project--

Originally posted by dogzbody View Post
                    How far did you get with your data storage project, micdobro? I'm also very interested in doing something like that, mostly to play with range plots and statistics and things.
                    I'm also interested in harvesting data from dump1090 for other purposes; early code perfectly acceptable!

Comment

Originally posted by k6rtm View Post
                      I'm also interested in harvesting data from dump1090 for other purposes; early code perfectly acceptable!
                      Hai guys

Please see

Contribute to DE8MSH/dump1090-sqlite development by creating an account on GitHub.

which gives you an option to save data to sqlite database. i did not test it since I don t have linux to compile.

Please check and give feed back if possible

Regards

Manoj

Comment

Hi!

I use this bit of linux magic to log all the ADS-B packets with position info into a .csv file:

nc 127.0.0.1 30003 | grep --line-buffered MSG,3, >> /folder/somewhere/positions.20141124.csv

Leaving out ">> positions.20141124.csv" brings packets into console.

Then I import this file in www.cartodb.com, a little bit of cleanup and then in ten minutes I have a map like this:

flights.jpg

It's a .csv file, so you can use that data anyway you want

Hope this is what you're looking for...

-Tomi
                        Last edited by tsimola; 2014-11-25, 18:14.

Comment

Thanks Tomi, that's very interesting, I'm now gathering my MSG3 lines to see what size file I get for a day. I did try running a second instance to get MSG1 lines that gather the callsigns but when I did it stopped the first netcat instance so I need to figure out how to collect both lines. Google is so my best friend these days!
                          Michael
                          Palmerston North,
                          New Zealand
                          ex-FR24 Feeder

Comment

I used this to get multiple MSG lines:

nc 192.168.1.5 30003 | egrep --line-buffered 'MSG,1,|MSG,3,' >> /folder/somewhere/tracks_callsigns.csv

Note the use of egrep instead of grep

Cool
                            Last edited by nzradar; 2014-11-26, 00:26.
                            Michael
                            Palmerston North,
                            New Zealand
                            ex-FR24 Feeder

Comment

Glad to help! I have a setup in Southern Finland in my parents place which can see around 140 planes a day (mostly flights to Far East). Position only csv is 2+ megabytes for 24 hrs..

Comment

Working...
                              X