RTL1090 and MLAT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RTL1090 and MLAT

I understand the RTL1090 software is capable of MLAT.

Do FR24 accept MLAT data from RTL1090? If so - how do I set it up?

I don't really know where this information comes from. We are always informing very clearly that MLAT on FR24 can only be provided from FR24 hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
      We are always informing very clearly that MLAT on FR24 can only be provided from FR24 hardware.
      Yes, I understand you are very clear about this Mike... Still, there is an option for MLAT in the RTL1090 setup and I wonder if this is something FR24 could use:

Screenshot 2014-05-26 13.55.33.png

Also, a brief search for RTL1090 MLAT on Google provides amongst other links this one:

"Can the RTL2832U/R380T be used for MLAT traffic?"

The answer is

"Yes indeed, this dongle supports MLAT. Grab the RTL1090 software..."

Comment

After an initial beta testing of MLAT for premium users, we are now satisfied with how it works and we have launched it for all our users on www.flightradar24.com and in our apps (http://www.flightradar24.com/apps). You can read more about ADS-B, MLAT and FAA on our how it works-page (http://www.flightradar24.com/how-it-works)

Comment

MLAT yes, FR24s version of its implementation, no

I'ts just a timestamp added to the outgoing data for triangulation to happen. Planeplotter is the main network to make use of the function and the primary reason it has been added to most the control software.
          Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Yes Mike, I understand this is what you wrote nearly a year ago. However I was wondering if something had changed since then. Also, you wrote you did not know where I had my information - I showed it to you and I was actually hoping for a more mature answer than you throwing an outdated link in my face. I do not know your intentions for such a low class answer, but I can only guess it is because you get lots of what you might call "stupid questions". Anyway - I feel offended by your answer to what was for me a serious question that perhaps could increase MLAT reception for you and FR24. Instead, you should perhaps learn a little bit from Oblivian, who actually give a serious answer.

Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
            MLAT yes, FR24s version of its implementation, no

I'ts just a timestamp added to the outgoing data for triangulation to happen. Planeplotter is the main network to make use of the function and the primary reason it has been added to most the control software.
            Thank you

Comment

I don't see any inmature answer here. Mike just said no to you and showed you a link with an extended answer. There are many many things already written on the forum, no need to repeat the same info each time someone ask for. Maybe it was written a year ago, but that info is up to date and current.

FYI, PlanePlotter network don't use MLAT data coming from rtl1090 software as it has been demostrated to be useless. If you are using a RTL dongle as a receiver, the only reliable software MLAT capable for PP network is Dump1090.
              Northwest Spain: F-LECO1, F-LEST1

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggorm View Post
                Yes, I understand you are very clear about this Mike... Still, there is an option for MLAT in the RTL1090 setup and I wonder if this is something FR24 could use:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4164[/ATTACH]

Also, a brief search for RTL1090 MLAT on Google provides amongst other links this one:

"Can the RTL2832U/R380T be used for MLAT traffic?"

The answer is

"Yes indeed, this dongle supports MLAT. Grab the RTL1090 software..."
                But not on the FR24 network. Your link and quote does not mention FR24 network. FR24 is a network of proprietary receivers that provide MLAT data and 3rd party receivers that DO NOT provide MLAT data to this network.

Mike's link really does explain it all.
                Michael
                Palmerston North,
                New Zealand
                ex-FR24 Feeder

Comment

Working...
                X