Moderation for new users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moderation for new users

Can we have some system where any new user has their first 1 or 2 posts moderated before they are published, there seems to be a flood of spam posts at the moment (3 so far today!) and it is all from people who have just registered (it may be the same person with multiple registrations?) it should not be any harder to moderate new posters than it is to have to keep blocking them.
    Ben.
    FR24 F-EGLF1, Blitzortung station 878, OGN Aldersht2, PilotAware PWAldersht, PlanePlotter M7.

Those posts doesn't last long. I use report post option but I think that mods are present most of the time. If not, you can go to chat and report to delcomp or someone else. Moderating first posts will dicourage people to participate in disscussions.

Sent from my GT-S6810P using Tapatalk
    For official support use Contact Form

Comment

Originally posted by Amper View Post
      Those posts doesn't last long. I use report post option but I think that mods are present most of the time. If not, you can go to chat and report to delcomp or someone else. Moderating first posts will dicourage people to participate in disscussions.

Thanks, you are probably correct, it is just that there seems to have been a sudden rise in this type of mail recently, I had not realised that there was a report post option, but I have looked closer and found it.
      Ben.
      FR24 F-EGLF1, Blitzortung station 878, OGN Aldersht2, PilotAware PWAldersht, PlanePlotter M7.

Comment

Spamm is pleague. There is no cure for that. Fr24 board is perfect target for them.

For official support use Contact Form

Comment

Yep unfortunately the popularity makes this a good target for backlinking by farms of people in India/Asia who are paid to do it all day long.

These are the new users, which as you point out if they are reported we usually attend to. I can't when I'm out in the field at work most the time but do when I can. We all get mailed a notification of it

On the flipside there are still automated registration hacks that are being bypassed, you guys don't see the automatically moderated posts. Where the system thinks they are spam so prevent them being seen. When we go to delete those, it often says the user has made 0 posts or is a guest. Those are often using the hacks.
          Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Spam really sucks but is hard to stop. I'm quite sure it's not robots but people making posts manually as there is a task that needs to be done manually on registration.

This a support forum for flightradar24 so we want to keep registration as easy as possible for real people, but hard for robots. We also don't have resources to validate each user and post manually.

I suggest to everyone to use report post feature to notify moderators about spam as soon as possible. Notifcation email goes out to about 10 moderators directly and in most cases the post is gone in 2-10 minutes.

Comment

I guess there is an moderation in place now. My first 2 posts get the message:
              Thank you for posting! Your post will not be visible until a moderator has approved it for posting.
              Strangely a user with status Super Moderator has seen the first one and is reacting is, but is still not visable for the other users.

Comment

No there is no moderation in place. All users should be able to post directly after sign up. There has been several backend changes made in order to stop spammers and the number of spammers last 2 months has been reduced significantly.

Comment

I did get tonight:

vBulletin Message
                  Sorry Erik12345, you are not allowed to post links in the forums. You must have a minimum of 4 posts in order to post links. You currently have 3 posts.

Oh wait, there was a link to the fr24 site in my post......

So sorry for my post, this post is for being able to post a link to the FR24 site in a reply to a message. :-)
                  For sure i am happy that i saved the message before i clicked post quick reply..... Otherwise i would have been lost...

Comment

Now it's getting exiting:

Sorry Erik12345, you are not allowed to post links in the forums. You must have a minimum of 4 posts in order to post links. You currently have 4 posts.

Euhhhhh. I hope 5 is enough.... :-(

Comment

Yeah the 5th post did it :-)

Comment

Although, with my 5th post, the forum says this is 6th post...
                        i guess i lost counting (same like the forum.........)

Please guys, i understand you want to avoid spam (totally agree on that), but this is not the right way. Assess the first or second post, then you know if it's a real person or not. Having a long post rejected (without saving the post) is very frustrating...

Comment

Reasons why I copy/paste before submit.. everywhere. Cause you never know when your cookies are going to lapse and log you out mid typing.
                          And the numbers may not match if posts have been removed by mods or merged elsewhere.

We are often deleting multi-posts that the pesky people being paid peanuts sitting at desks are posting just so they can link in the last one. It may not look it, but I and a couple of others hit them fast and most the time no one will notice.

However this is one of few places with *22,000* members with 15+ a day being added, Ongoing attempts are to make the message to these people clear to go elsewhere and hopefully take a bit of ease off the site traffic for everyones benefit
                          You can however I believe post links with spaces and no http etc, but the bots and idiots sitting at desks in the farms joining multi forums at once all attempt to copy-paste and it's them it restricts. I'm banning a few of them before even finishing registration it's so easy to tell. (so apologies to anyone I have done prematurely.. but usually can work out and undo a short while later)
                          Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Actually you probably still have a post stuck in moderation approval which would change the figures. Unless we spot the flag on the side of the message, it appears normal to us and does not alert. I'll check that now.

.. That's automated BTW. If the system doesn't like your IP address, speed you posted, or content/words match likely bad ones it will auto moderate for approval. Not like someone did it to spite

Comment

Sure enough, you had one still not unflagged.

Along with about 70 others, half of which were junk messages from accts with spam in their profile testing how many posts required.

Comment

Working...
                              X