Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flightradar24 decoder/feeder BETA testing (Win/RPi/Linux/OSX)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• +1

Got here a Pi ready for that, too. :-)

Comment

• Rodeo, do you have in mind something like this?

http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/Raspberry-Pi-NTP.html

Comment

• Someone kill T-EDDK69, it looks like he's playing back dump1090 logs/bin.

it's the 3rd or 4th time that GWI78G is landing.

Last edited by loplo; 2015-04-11, 12:52.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sovereign View Post
          Good Evening people!

Im trying to get a grip of this method of setting up a feed with a raspberry Pi and i have a question about the 'all in one package' build for the raspberry. what does it contain exactly ? I mean, ok i get it in the SD card set it up with the wizard etc..but..does it contain a striped down version of an OS so that it does WELL only the flight radar stuff it is supposed to do? or it can work as a regular Pi OS? Will i be able to run other stuff as well at the same time ? and more importantly, will i be able to add/install in it a WiFi dongle ?(compatible with most raspberry pi operating systems) .The need fore wifi networking is a must ,because i cant drill a hole on my wall just for an Ethernet cable.

thanks in advance!
          Please see this thread:
          Raspberry Pi: How To Install Raspian OS+Dump1090+FR24 Data Feeder
          Last edited by abcd567; 2015-04-11, 21:34.

Comment

• Step 2a 2b 2c may be redundent.

I did not have to do it on the three different sticks i use for my two pi stations. Two sticks are for the pi´s and one i use on my pc, but i switched them around as i modded two of them feed 5v via usb to a LNA and all worked fine directly.

Check here for how i did it: http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...ll=1#post65092

No mention about installing cmake, libusb or build essentials about that in the setup guide either: http://feed.flightradar24.com/fr24feed-manual.pdf or on the download page for it: http://feed.flightradar24.com/raspberry-pi/

So i did NOT have to do:

Code:
            sudo apt-get install git-core
            sudo apt-get install git 
            sudo apt-get install cmake
            sudo apt-get install libusb-1.0-0-dev
            sudo apt-get install build-essential

git  clone  git://git.osmocom.org/rtl-sdr.git
            cd  rtl-sdr
            mkdir  build
            cd  build
            cmake  ../ -DINSTALL_UDEV_RULES=ON
            make
            sudo  make  install
            sudo  ldconfig

cd ~
            sudo  cp  ./rtl-sdr/rtl-sdr.rules  /etc/udev/rules.d/
            sudo  reboot
            cd  ~ 
            git  clone  git://github.com/MalcolmRobb/dump1090.git
            cd  dump1090
            make
            ./dump1090 --interactive --net --net-http-port 8080
            Etc etc etc

What i did do:

Code:
            When booted to console or desktop:
            Sudo apt-get update
            Sudo apt-get upgrade
            Sudo reboot

When Rebooted:

wget http://feed.flightradar24.com/raspberry-pi/fr24feed_1.0.12-3_armhf.deb
            sudo dpkg -i fr24feed_1.0.12-3_armhf.deb
            sudo fr24feed --reconfigure --fr24key=0123456789ABCDEF
            sudo service fr24feed start
            sudo reboot

When rebooted check that everthing is running with:

service fr24feed status
            Just a heads up, install is done faster and alot smoother.
            Last edited by Johan_D; 2015-04-11, 22:04.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sovereign View Post
              Rodeo, do you have in mind something like this?

http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/Raspberry-Pi-NTP.html
              Yes, Sovereign. I currently have a Windows Home Server (WHS) box acting as my NTP server (amongst other things), PPS synced to a Garmin GPS17. Long term plans are to retire the WHS box replacing with a HP N54L microserver. As the replacement for the NTP server I was looking at doing a Pi, following David's how-to. The obvious flow-on thought was can I ge the Pi acting as my NTP server, ADS-B rx and seeing as it will have a GPS attached (for the NTP) will it be capable of MLAT as well?
              T-YSBK22

Comment

• Originally posted by Johan_D View Post
                Step 2a 2b 2c may be redundent.

I did not have to do it on the three different sticks i use for my two pi stations. Two sticks are for the pi´s and one i use on my pc, but i switched them around as i modded two of them feed 5v via usb to a LNA and all worked fine directly........
                Please see the Title of thread. It is NOT installation of FR24feeder only.
                It says "Raspberry Pi: How To Install Raspian OS + Dump1090 + FR24 Data Feeder".

Step 2a is for updating/upgrading Operating System (Raspbian Wheezy for example) & installing tools. These are not required for Fr24feeder installation, but necessary for installation of dump1090/other data feeders.

Step 2b is for installing drivers for DVB-T (rtl-sdr) and necessary to use DVB-T. If you have already installed these, you can skip this step.

Step 2c is for installing dump1090. If you have already installed dump1090 (or some other receiver software like modeSDecoder2), you can skip this step

Step 3 is exclusively for installing FR24feeder. This is what your reply contained, and your answer was right, as @Sovereign: has asked for steps to install FR24feeder only.

My reply was to @Soveringn's comment:"I Think that a detailed post like that you made, should be sticky on this forum somewhere so anyone with little programming (or no) experience can get started quickly."
                Last edited by abcd567; 2015-04-12, 18:40.

Comment

• 2A: Ok, for other feeders you might need to install tools, but not for fr24 (as we both say)

2B looks like it is fixed out of the box... Sticks that i USED to have to install drivers for NOW WORKS DIRECTLY AFTER apt-get update , apt-get upgrade and installation of the fr24feeder. Try it yourself, it works as i posted befor...

fr24feeder INSTALLS dump1090 AND mr-dump1090 so step 2c is not needed either.

Again, in detail:

1: Download latest raspbian; http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian_latest
                  2: Burn to sdcard with win32diskimager
                  3: Do install and setup
                  4: Over ssh or in terminal do a sudo apt-get update
                  5: Over ssh or in terminal do a sudo apt-get upgrade
                  6: Over ssh or in terminal do a wget http://feed.flightradar24.com/raspbe...12-3_armhf.deb
                  7: Install with sudo dpkg -i fr24feed_1.0.12-3_armhf.deb
                  8a: If you start a account do a sudo fr24feed --signup
                  8b: If you have an accoutn do a sudo fr24feed --reconfigure --fr24key=0123456789ABCDEF
                  9: sudo service fr24feed start
                  10: sudo reboot
                  11: After reboot i did a service fr24feed status and all is/was up and running:
                  12:Optional: Check web interface of the feeder @ http://raspi_ip:8754/

It even states in the fr24feeder manual:

Code:
                  Kinetics SBS1, SBS1er, SBS3 - USB and Network
                  Mode-S Beast - USB and Network
                  [B]Most DVBT sticks - USB and Network[/B]
                  Most “AVR” compatible receivers - USB/Serial and Network
                  It does not say ALL dvb-t sticks, but as i said: Sticks that i previously had to install drivers for now work, so skip that part, and if it does NOT work then do it.

Just want to post an as easy as it can be guide, as it was a f**king hassel to get it up and running on the pi just over 6 months ago....
                  Last edited by Johan_D; 2015-04-12, 19:20.

Comment

• Originally posted by Johan_D View Post
                    2A: Ok, for other feeders you might need to install tools, but not for fr24 (as we both say)

2B looks like it is fixed out of the box... Sticks that i USED to have to install drivers for NOW WORKS DIRECTLY AFTER apt-get update , apt-get upgrade and installation of the fr24feeder. Try it yourself, it works as i posted befor...

fr24feeder INSTALLS dump1090 AND mr-dump1090 so step 2c is not needed either.

Again, in detail:

1: Download latest raspbian; http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian_latest
                    2: Burn to sdcard with win32diskimager
                    3: Do install and setup
                    4: Over ssh or in terminal do a sudo apt-get update
                    5: Over ssh or in terminal do a sudo apt-get upgrade
                    6: Over ssh or in terminal do a wget http://feed.flightradar24.com/raspbe...12-3_armhf.deb
                    7: Install with sudo dpkg -i fr24feed_1.0.12-3_armhf.deb
                    8a: If you start a account do a sudo fr24feed --signup
                    8b: If you have an accoutn do a sudo fr24feed --reconfigure --fr24key=0123456789ABCDEF
                    9: sudo service fr24feed start
                    10: sudo reboot
                    11: After reboot i did a service fr24feed status and all is/was up and running:
                    12:Optional: Check web interface of the feeder @ http://raspi_ip:8754/

It even states in the fr24feeder manual:

Code:
                    Kinetics SBS1, SBS1er, SBS3 - USB and Network
                    Mode-S Beast - USB and Network
                    [B]Most DVBT sticks - USB and Network[/B]
                    Most “AVR” compatible receivers - USB/Serial and Network
                    It does not say ALL dvb-t sticks, but as i said: Sticks that i previously had to install drivers for now work, so skip that part, and if it does NOT work then do it.

Thanks for detailed reply. I will give your method a try on a brand-new microSD Card to see how it goes with my two DVB-T Sticks, one from Nooelect, other from a chinese supplier.

Just want to post an as easy as it can be guide, as it was a f**king hassel to get it up and running on the pi just over 6 months ago....
                    I got my first RPi about 3 months ago, and passed through the hassel to get it up and running (I knew very little of Linux commands). That triggered me to post the method I used to get my RPi up & running, so that others do not have to pass through the bitter experiance I had. If your method proves ok on my brand-new microSD Card fresh install, I will modify my post. Thanks again.
                    Last edited by abcd567; 2015-04-12, 19:45.

Comment

• Well, after much experimentation I found the solution myself. There was nothing wrong with any of the installed drivers.
                      FR24feed.exe version 1.0.11-7 does NOT need rtl1090 to feed it. In fact, it won't work (on my computer) if rtl1090 is on.
                      It contains its own decoder (or calls mr-dump1090.exe, not sure which).

With just that version of FR24feed running, I see logged upload information, and the feed stats on the FR24 site show what has been uploaded: in the past 20 hours or so, something over 1,500 aircraft and 63,000 positions. I've seen my T-ID appear quite a few times (I'm in an excellent position to pick up aircraft crossing the English Channel into the UK from Netherlands and Scandinavia).

However, all that means that I can't look at the information being received and identify non-ADS-B aircraft unless I stop the feed to FR24.

Does anyone know if there is a way to set RTL1090.exe to output data in the format needed by version 1.0.11-7?

Comment

• so....

i think that you downloaded your FR24feed.exe from here http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...RPi-Linux-OSX)

where:
                        Benefits:

- You don't need to run separate decoder and feeder - "all in one"
                        and

- Feeding stats now available for Windows users
                        and

- You can still connect your favourite applications to your receiver either via TCP 30003 data stream or RAW data feed available on different ports depending on what receiver is used.
                        Solution was there in the same post where software was, and there you have solution for your last question.

Download ADSBscope or VRS, connect it to basestation or raw port (if you didn't disabled them in FR sw) and you will see non ADS-B planes.

RTL1090 is not needed.

If you really want to use RTL1090, then use older version of FR24 feeder but there is no stats page then.
                        For official support use Contact Form

Comment

• Yes, that's where I downloaded the software from. The instructions were like so many others - if you know how to do it, they remind you. If you don't know how to do it, they don't tell you enough to do it. Trial and error gets there eventually, as it did with the FR24feed. I know, now, that the secret is NOT to run RTL1090 with that version of the software, but that wasn't made obvious. It seems, from what I read, that FR24 prefers that feed version, so I'll stick with it.

I downloaded ADSBscope for Windows, and have a batch of folders with a variety of software. It starts with "adsb_all", within which there is a folder "pc_software" containing "adsbscope", then "27", then "adsbscope27_256.exe".

The instructions say:
                          adsbScope (V2.6test8 and later) can receive and process this this stream. Open the
                          network-setup window and select binary as data format for the RAW-data-client.
                          (You can use the RTL1090-preset-button as well.) Choose the correct URL or click
                          on local. Close the network-setup window. Now you can start the RAW-data-client of
                          adsbScope.

I tried running adsbscope27_256.exe with those settings but with no success. The "Network" page allows me to select a variety of sources, but all those I tried give error messages.
                          I get either "No decoder detected" or "BEAST comm. failure: 0".

I tried that 48-page thread with all the Raspberry PI and Linux chat, but couldn't find anything about setting up ADSBscope with FR24feed and Windows using a dongle.

The .ini file for FR24feed is thus:
                          receiver="dvbt"
                          fr24key="################"
                          host="localhost: 30002"
                          bs="yes"
                          raw="yes"
                          logmode="1"
                          windowmode="0"
                          mpx="no"

Should there be something there to tell it to output data to ADSBscope? How do I tell ADSBscope where to go for its input?

Comment

• Thinking about it, since the aircraft I am interested in are NOT sending ADS-B data, the scope won't know where to place them. I need a simple list of the data, such as is given by RTL1090.

Comment

• Originally posted by Keithj View Post
                              Thinking about it, since the aircraft I am interested in are NOT sending ADS-B data, the scope won't know where to place them. I need a simple list of the data, such as is given by RTL1090.
                              RTL1090 knows where to place them?

and for the first question....you didn't enable raw or bs on fr24 feeder i think
                              For official support use Contact Form

Comment

• RTL1090 shows a list of aircraft with whatever detail they are sending. It doesn't place them. I don't need to: I just want to know if my friends are up there flying - in which case, I may just go and join them. These are little aircraft with basic Mode S only (some even with mode A/C). We're waiting for the CAA to allow us to connect our portable satnavs to the transponders, at which point there will be some basic ADS-B.

I have no idea how to enable raw or bs on fr24feeder. I remember it giving a selection of error messages from dump1090, but once I got it working I took no notice of those.

Comment

Working...
                                X