Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flightradar24 decoder/feeder BETA testing (Win/RPi/Linux/OSX)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flightradar24 decoder/feeder BETA testing (Win/RPi/Linux/OSX)

In efforts to improve data quality we have decided that we need to unify the decoding software on all our platforms and receivers. We've suffered from bad data for a long time and I think every one has seen an aircraft jumping or being shown where they weren't supposed to be.

Benefits:

- You don't need to run separate decoder and feeder - "all in one"
    - We maintain the software, fix bugs and take responsibility for data quality
    - Feeding stats now available for Windows users
    - You can still connect your favourite applications to your receiver either via TCP 30003 data stream or RAW data feed available on different ports depending on what receiver is used.

Download Windows build:

Instructions:

Please read the PDF document available via the link above.

Download Raspberry Pi build:

Instructions:

Download OSX build:

Instructions:

Download Linux builds (i386/x86_64/amd64):

Instructions:

Updates:

- RaspberryPi and Linux i386 now comes in a ready .deb package, with signup wizard and daemon config.
    - Install via - sudo bash -c "$(wget -O - http://repo.feed.flightradar24.com/install_fr24_rpi.sh)"

- Web configuration (http://localhost:8754/)
    - Added support for other receivers SBS-1, SBS-3, Mode-S Beast, generic AVR receiver, etc.
    - Linux x86 build
    --
    - New version available, uses auto-gain by default, you can pass --ppm=N and --gain=N or max/auto if you want to change parameters, please edit the startup file to do so.
    - Fixed RAW data mode on port 30002
    - Fixed high CPU load
    - One more update related to CPU load
    - Raspberry Pi build
    - OSX build
    Last edited by Oblivian; 2016-01-05, 20:42. Reason: Corrected Links

Excellent, definitely in for the all-in-one approach !
    I'll be happy to help with the testing as soon as a linux version is available.

I'm currently feeding data from a bullion on a raspberry pi using the lastest version of adsbox as the decoder software.

Comment

As my primary is feeder is a Linux based box, I thought to test it on my Windows machine. Win8.1 RTL dongle. Dongle works fine with RTL1090Beta3
      Can only run in normal mode, when trying to elevate to Admin mode, the feeder window closes.

Sharing KEY: ***************

C:\ADSB stuff\FR24 feeder beta\fr24feed>fr24feed.exe --rece
      iver=dvbt --bs=yes --raw=yes --fr24key=****************
      [main][i]FR24 Decoder [0x02101000]
      [main][i]Built on May 23 2014 09:29:33 (r:284/Windows/i386)
      [main][i]Copyright 2008-2014 (c) Piotr Pawluczuk, Flightradar24 AB ( http://flig
      htradar24.com )
      [master][i]Starting processing thread
      [main][i]Reader 0 started
      [reader][i][0]Initializing reader
      [reader][i][0]Connecting to Generic receiver via (dvbt://local)
      [bs][i]Initializing server
      [main][i]Socket server started
      [main][i]Feed Network client started
      [feed][i]Downloading configuration
      [bs][i]Starting server on *:30003
      [main][i]RAW data server started
      [raw][i]Initializing server
      [raw][i]Starting server on *:30002
      [dvbt][i]Found 1 device(s):
      [dvbt][i]0: Realtek, RTL2838UHIDIR, SN: 00000001 (currently selected)
      Found Rafael Micro R820T tuner
      [dvbt][i]Max available gain is: 49.60
      [dvbt][i]Setting gain to: 49.60
      Exact sample rate is: 2000000.052982 Hz
      [feed][i]Failed on start, Sleeping 120 seconds
      [dvbt][i]Gain reported by device: 49.60
      [reader][i][0]Connected to the receiver, authenticating
      [reader][i][0]Authenticated, processing messages
      [reader][i][0]Connection terminated
      [main][i]Terminating worker threads
      [master][i]Terminating on request
      [main][i]Terminated successfully
      ~
      ~~Terminate batch job (Y/N)?
      Last edited by piopawlu; 2014-05-26, 05:36. Reason: removed sharing key

Comment

I'm testing it on XP SP3 32bit.
        CPU use is very high, above 50% (with RTL1090 was 15-20%)
        Slight less range, but it may depends on my antenna.

Also, I can't conntect Virtual Radar Server to RAW port 30002, only with BS port 30003.
        Last edited by awg; 2014-05-25, 09:17.

Comment

Would be great if you could enable gain and agc switches - at full gain there's alot of noise...

Comment

FR24 FEED after a minute or so: http://x264.nl/dump/fr24feed-2014-05...range-test.jpg (updated)
            ADSB# after a minute or so: http://x264.nl/dump/adsbsharp-2014-0...range-test.jpg (*fixed)

http://sdrsharp.com/downloads/adsbsharp.zip (Authentic code.)

ADSB# is the best decoder, but the author has lost interest in ADS-B.

Edit:
            Tip: Enable Tuner AGC, Max Gain, Disable RTL AGC.
            Last edited by Jarod; 2014-05-24, 18:16.

Comment

Thanks for your feedback, I will try to address the high CPU load problem and add switches for gain, etc. The reason you may see fewer aircraft is that our decoder is a bit more cautious about trusting positions and requires multiple good records to accept an aircraft. We believe it's better this way.

@HermanZA: It seems the sharing key has an extra "-" at the end, remove it and try again.. I have removed the key altogether from your message.

Comment

There's a new build available now, that uses auto gain by default, you can override it by using --gain=N, another option is to tune frequency by providing --ppm=+NNN or -NNN.

Comment

@piopawlu : my mistake, sorry! ... copy and paste from a file that went wrong.
                  Still high on CPU. Uses around 15% on i7/3.4gHz
                  Suggestion: would it not be possible to write in some sort of signal strengh / signal quality indicator, that can show up on 127.0.0.1:30003 ?

Comment

Would also need a switch to disable/enable the RTL AGC as that drastically affects overloading when using active antennas,
                    otherwise it seems to be working fine.
                    I'd also like to get some stats about the signal & decoding quality, bad parity etc, would help alot in finding the optimal settings.
                    Cheers!

Comment

There's a new build (3) available that fixes the RAW/30002 port output.

Right now it defaults to "auto", but you can specify any gain value you want in .1 dB units with --gain=NNN. I will get some debugging information out, in the next build.

Comment

RAW port 30002 now works correctly. But doesn't send signal level.
                        Also it would be nice if we can change ports, so the testing would be easier!

CPU use still very high, in comparison dump1090 is under 5-10% (on a Intel Atom N270)

Comment

There have been no changes related to CPU, I am pretty sure I know the reason but I just haven't had time. Next update tomorrow should address the CPU issue.

Comment

New build (4) available, should address the high CPU load problem.

Comment

Hi piopawlu!

Now CPU use is very low... I'm impressed! It's under 5% most of the time.

I noted that altitude is not show for aircraft that do not transmit position.

Another strange thing: the range now is good, but for very near aircraft (and in line of sight) reception is irregular, few packets decoded.

Comment

Working...
                              X