Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LOONY BALLOON flight in progress from 17th5th2014 in Sth East Queensland UnknoGOOGLE8

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Passenger

LOONY BALLOON flight in progress from 17th5th2014 in Sth East Queensland UnknoGOOGLE8

Photo994.jpgHi Guys, can someone make an urgent post to let everyone know there is a Helium Balloon in flight around the Stanthorpe area in Queensland link is here http://www.flightradar24.com/357ff29
    Balloon is at 63,000feet headding in a mostly easterly direction, Registration is GOOGLE8, Altitude is 63,538 feet, 26 KM/h, Track 71 deg, Squawk 1300
    Last edited by JustMe; 2014-05-17 at 03:33. Reason: more info

Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
    Photo994.jpgHi Guys, can someone make an urgent post to let everyone know there is a Helium Balloon in flight around the Stanthorpe area in Queensland link is here http://www.flightradar24.com/357ff29
    Balloon is at 63,000feet headding in a mostly easterly direction, Registration is GOOGLE8, Altitude is 63,538 feet, 26 KM/h, Track 71 deg, Squawk 1300
    G'Day Jim
    Have not seen you on here for awhile. F-YBSU1 is still doing a great job. I see you are getting the Alliance Fokkers at the new Miles airport. That LOON balloon was also around yesterday, more towards Mungindi. I don't know how accurate those altitude readings are but it must have been pretty high yesterday for MLAT to resolve it out there from at least four F type feeders. Cheers. John

Passenger
    Hi Ressy, sorry, the LOON balloon Google8 seems to have disapeared into the Coral Sea somewhere, I'm courious to know where it is also, anyone know? here is a pic I took on the 21st May.

Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
    Hi Ressy, sorry, the LOON balloon Google8 seems to have disapeared into the Coral Sea somewhere, I'm courious to know where it is also, anyone know? here is a pic I took on the 21st May.
    You might be hard pressed to see it again until it gets to America because it seems to need MLAT to show up on FR24 and apart from Australia and NZ there is no MLAT in the south Pacific AFAIK.

Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by airnrail View Post
    You might be hard pressed to see it again until it gets to America because it seems to need MLAT to show up on FR24 and apart from Australia and NZ there is no MLAT in the south Pacific AFAIK.
    Surely Google know exactly where they are all the time ... I wonder if they would share the information.

Passenger
    Re loon balloon. noticed a couple of cessna's flying what looked like search patterns north of Brisbane this morning. One plane now doing same search pattern just north of Jimboomba. Have they lost their balloon ?

First officer
    Quote Originally Posted by Alien8 View Post
    Re loon balloon. noticed a couple of cessna's flying what looked like search patterns north of Brisbane this morning. One plane now doing same search pattern just north of Jimboomba. Have they lost their balloon ?
    noticed that yesterday as well, TEY. This morning was doing caloundra south to about brendale, maybe just a training exercise, but certainly a search pattern, last time I saw google8 contact was over gold coast hinterland around 1100 UTC 21/5, so I'm sure they'd know its not north of Brisbane....well, maybe not thats as far as I got with playback before I had to leave

First officer
    Just went back and finished its track, in early hours of 22/5 it was about 100nm due east of Byron bay and heading away, so could be in NZ or around Lord howe Isl or, any bleeding where now

Flight attendant
    21 July
    Indian Ocean 60300ft F-FMEP1
    -23.8086 51.8637balloon google.jpg
    Last edited by langelot; 2014-08-21 at 10:18. Reason: Image added