Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LOONY BALLOON flight in progress from 17th5th2014 in Sth East Queensland UnknoGOOGLE8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LOONY BALLOON flight in progress from 17th5th2014 in Sth East Queensland UnknoGOOGLE8

Photo994.jpgHi Guys, can someone make an urgent post to let everyone know there is a Helium Balloon in flight around the Stanthorpe area in Queensland link is here http://www.flightradar24.com/357ff29
    Balloon is at 63,000feet headding in a mostly easterly direction, Registration is GOOGLE8, Altitude is 63,538 feet, 26 KM/h, Track 71 deg, Squawk 1300
    Last edited by JustMe; 2014-05-17, 03:33. Reason: more info

Originally posted by JustMe View Post
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]4106[/ATTACH]Hi Guys, can someone make an urgent post to let everyone know there is a Helium Balloon in flight around the Stanthorpe area in Queensland link is here http://www.flightradar24.com/357ff29
    Balloon is at 63,000feet headding in a mostly easterly direction, Registration is GOOGLE8, Altitude is 63,538 feet, 26 KM/h, Track 71 deg, Squawk 1300
    G'Day Jim
    Have not seen you on here for awhile. F-YBSU1 is still doing a great job. I see you are getting the Alliance Fokkers at the new Miles airport. That LOON balloon was also around yesterday, more towards Mungindi. I don't know how accurate those altitude readings are but it must have been pretty high yesterday for MLAT to resolve it out there from at least four F type feeders. Cheers. John

Comment

Thanks John, been here but also doing other things as well LOL, it's just on 9pm here, that balloon is still up in the air out Toowoomba way now, headding west towards Oakey's direction.
      I noticed the different altitude readings, put it down to FlightRadar24 not being able to handle an object so high up, it's got to be at least double the height of most airline flights.

I contacted the local ham boys in Dalby, they and a sister club on the coast launched a balloon several months ago, they had official permission, it went to 100,000 feet, but I have been relibably informed this is not their doings and they were interrested in who launched this current balloon, this one is unknown to them.

Going to see how far this current one goes for.
      Jim

Photo999.jpg

Comment

Woke this morning to an ongoing event, GOOGLE8 Balloon is still there, it's done a full circle and looks like hanging around for a while yet, those who want to take a look here is the link http://www.flightradar24.com/357ff29 look for the Unknown GOOGLE8 tag on the "aircraft icon" its a LOONY balloon LOL

Balloon1 Google8 on18th5th2014.jpg

Comment

LOONY BALLOON flight in progress from 17th5th2014 in Sth East Queensland UnknoGOOGLE8

Balloon2Google8 on 18th5th2014 inQld, Aust.jpgHi all, came across this Balloon flight by accident, it's been ongoing since the 17th, woke this morning on the 18th and it is still up topsides, I have no idea what the Altitude limits Flightradar24 can see to but I have seen this balloon at 63,000 feet and at 700 feet, you can follow it here http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...2013#post52013 present position is here http://www.flightradar24.com/357ff29
          Last edited by JustMe; 2014-05-17, 23:30.

Comment

Hey gents

Try this link: http://www.google.com/loon/

All the answers are there!

Geoff

Comment

As I've mentioned elsewhere, this link has the story: http://www.google.com/loon/

Geoff

Comment

Thanks Geoff, I can see Flightradar24 will need to do either one of two things in the future, (if LOON taks off, one day there will be thousands of them) so make a "balloon Loon" icon to identify these balloons or block them out from ordinary plane traffic, personally I would like to see the balloon icon but be given the option to discard them on the screen with a clickable thingy somewhere, or have just all balloons show up world wide.

Comment

anyone know where it is now?

Comment

Hi Ressy, sorry, the LOON balloon Google8 seems to have disapeared into the Coral Sea somewhere, I'm courious to know where it is also, anyone know? here is a pic I took on the 21st May.

Comment

Originally posted by JustMe View Post
                      Hi Ressy, sorry, the LOON balloon Google8 seems to have disapeared into the Coral Sea somewhere, I'm courious to know where it is also, anyone know? here is a pic I took on the 21st May.
                      You might be hard pressed to see it again until it gets to America because it seems to need MLAT to show up on FR24 and apart from Australia and NZ there is no MLAT in the south Pacific AFAIK.

Comment

Ones launched from here have had ADSB transponders onboard. Tracked actual location/alt to well over 65,000
                        Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Re loon balloon. noticed a couple of cessna's flying what looked like search patterns north of Brisbane this morning. One plane now doing same search pattern just north of Jimboomba. Have they lost their balloon ?

Comment

Originally posted by airnrail View Post
                            You might be hard pressed to see it again until it gets to America because it seems to need MLAT to show up on FR24 and apart from Australia and NZ there is no MLAT in the south Pacific AFAIK.
                            Surely Google know exactly where they are all the time ... I wonder if they would share the information.

Comment

Originally posted by Alien8 View Post
                              Re loon balloon. noticed a couple of cessna's flying what looked like search patterns north of Brisbane this morning. One plane now doing same search pattern just north of Jimboomba. Have they lost their balloon ?
                              noticed that yesterday as well, TEY. This morning was doing caloundra south to about brendale, maybe just a training exercise, but certainly a search pattern, last time I saw google8 contact was over gold coast hinterland around 1100 UTC 21/5, so I'm sure they'd know its not north of Brisbane....well, maybe not thats as far as I got with playback before I had to leave

Comment

Working...
                              X