Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LOONY BALLOON flight in progress from 17th5th2014 in Sth East Queensland UnknoGOOGLE8

Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
    Hi Ressy, sorry, the LOON balloon Google8 seems to have disapeared into the Coral Sea somewhere, I'm courious to know where it is also, anyone know? here is a pic I took on the 21st May.
    You might be hard pressed to see it again until it gets to America because it seems to need MLAT to show up on FR24 and apart from Australia and NZ there is no MLAT in the south Pacific AFAIK.

Super Moderator
    Ones launched from here have had ADSB transponders onboard. Tracked actual location/alt to well over 65,000

Passenger
    Re loon balloon. noticed a couple of cessna's flying what looked like search patterns north of Brisbane this morning. One plane now doing same search pattern just north of Jimboomba. Have they lost their balloon ?

Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by airnrail View Post
    You might be hard pressed to see it again until it gets to America because it seems to need MLAT to show up on FR24 and apart from Australia and NZ there is no MLAT in the south Pacific AFAIK.
    Surely Google know exactly where they are all the time ... I wonder if they would share the information.

First officer
    Quote Originally Posted by Alien8 View Post
    Re loon balloon. noticed a couple of cessna's flying what looked like search patterns north of Brisbane this morning. One plane now doing same search pattern just north of Jimboomba. Have they lost their balloon ?
    noticed that yesterday as well, TEY. This morning was doing caloundra south to about brendale, maybe just a training exercise, but certainly a search pattern, last time I saw google8 contact was over gold coast hinterland around 1100 UTC 21/5, so I'm sure they'd know its not north of Brisbane....well, maybe not thats as far as I got with playback before I had to leave

First officer
    Just went back and finished its track, in early hours of 22/5 it was about 100nm due east of Byron bay and heading away, so could be in NZ or around Lord howe Isl or, any bleeding where now

Passenger
    Google Balloon up in the air again from Mel to Syd

Capture-06-10-00001.jpg
    F-YSCB2, T-YSCB11

First officer
    Wonder if it'll make SEQ again... might get that yagi and high gain colinear out of storage to see if its "active" or mischievous

Passenger
    There is also one airborne over Tanzania heading for Kenya , reg GOOGLE with hex of 700046, FR24 indicates a vertical speed of -7808 fpm but the altitude does not change.

Super Moderator
    We have had them out of NZ today. One of them has ended up in the drink, causing all sorts of emergency calls to come in and coastguard being dispatched

They made the media and are now helping to recover it http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/1018...nterbury-coast

oops!

They have gotten smarter with the height control with this batch. Often flying them higher than previously, and there is better altitude control to dictate movements more