Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dongles Overheating When Placed Outside In Warm Weather.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dongles Overheating When Placed Outside In Warm Weather.

Dear all,

Just to advise now that the warmer weather is finally coming to the UK and your Dongles are placed outside of your home. This can also assist others around the World in warm climates too.

To keep my signal from any loss of dB. My Dongle is placed outside my home, in a little black project box attached to my mast to protect it from the elements.

However, since our weather has started warming up, I have noticed over the past couple of days, that when the sun hits my project box (my project box is facing West), the inside of the box get to over 40 degrees Celsius and the Dongle stops working and when it cools down, it's fine again.

I have made an adaption to my project box and so far, it has stopped it from overheating and continued working.

What have I done?

If you have an old Car Windscreen Sun Reflector that you no longer use. Cut a section of this an place around the project box but do not block any air holes you have created - my air holes are in the bottom of my project box.

As stated, my Dongle is in a project box, yours may be encased in something different but the applied principle will be the same.

However, please be aware, that as this is reflective material. Please ensure that any sunlight that gets reflected off it, DOES NOT flash your neighbours, their houses or drivers of motor vehicles, bicycles. As this could cause injury to their eyes, accidents on roads or even fire to their homes (magnifying glass scenario)

If this doesn't work for you, you could always try white paint as suggested by Amper.

So far, so good but I thought I'd share this with you all.

Kind regards,
    Last edited by Responder; 2014-05-04, 21:49.
    T-EGBB16

Hardware: NooElec DVB-T2 Dongle, Raspi Pi2 Mod B, 6dB Collinear Antenna, Nevis Pre-Amp & 1090mhz SAW Filter, 9mtrs WF100 Cable and 28ft Mast.
    Software: Rasbain Jessie Lite, FR24 Feeder, Dump1090mutab and VRS.
    Stats for Mar 18, 2016. Uptime:100%. Aircraft seen:2,012. Positions Reported:486,817. Maximum Distance:243nm (Stats provided by FR24)

what did you expect from black box. I have light gray electrical outdoor box. Inside i have fr24 box + some other equipment and no overheating whatsoever.
    Last edited by Amper; 2014-05-04, 12:36.
    For official support use Contact Form

Comment

I have wondered if people using project boxes could use heatsinks like these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261258338799 for cooling.

Mount a length inside the box connected to a length outside the box using thermally conductive bolts as heatpipes ... obviously seal the bolt holes with silicone to prevent water ingress into the box.

Put the fins vertically for best airflow.

Comment

Originally posted by peterhr View Post
        I have wondered if people using project boxes could use heatsinks like these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261258338799 for cooling.

Mount a length inside the box connected to a length outside the box using thermally conductive bolts as heatpipes ... obviously seal the bolt holes with silicone to prevent water ingress into the box.

Put the fins vertically for best airflow.
        Sounds a good idea Pete but wouldn't the reverse happen (the outer sink heating the inner sink) when hit by direct sunlight rather than cooling?

My idea is working great, as the reflectiveness of the Sun Screen is keeping my Black Project Box cool. Besides, it's all I had at the time of build.

Hey Pete, how did you get your Range Diagram off ADSBScope?
        Last edited by Responder; 2014-05-04, 16:09.
        T-EGBB16

Hardware: NooElec DVB-T2 Dongle, Raspi Pi2 Mod B, 6dB Collinear Antenna, Nevis Pre-Amp & 1090mhz SAW Filter, 9mtrs WF100 Cable and 28ft Mast.
        Stats for Mar 18, 2016. Uptime:100%. Aircraft seen:2,012. Positions Reported:486,817. Maximum Distance:243nm (Stats provided by FR24)

Comment

Originally posted by Amper View Post
          what did you expect from black box.
          It's all I had at the time of build but it works :-)
          T-EGBB16

Comment

Yes but is overheating and you have to put mirrors on it?!?
            Why not paint the box white?
            Last edited by Amper; 2014-05-04, 17:23.

Comment

Yes but is overheating and you have to put mirrors on it?!?
              Why not paint the box white?
              Whilst you may call them mirrors. Agreed, they are reflective but it's like Solar Film you use on a Telescope to do Astrophotography but it also has a honeycomb centre to dissipate the heat.

As my initial thread. The temperature was reaching 40 degrees Celsius inside my project box but with the near clear sky we've had today, with temps reaching 19 degrees, higher than previous days when my box was reaching 40 degrees inside. Today, with my cover applied, the inside of my box only reached 16 degrees Celsius. A vast improvement on previous days and my Dongle was working happily.

However, painting the box white would also help too, I imagine.
              T-EGBB16

Comment

What will drivers/neighbours(if there any) arround you say when/if they get flashed by your project?

Comment

What will drivers/neighbours(if there any) arround you say when/if they get flashed by your project?
                  Why the interrogation Amper?? Are YOU the FR24 Police??

Do YOU not think I would have taken that into consideration prior to installation??????????
                  T-EGBB16

Comment

Not interrogation, just asking.
                    You are advising people to do what you did. I didn't see that you told them to take mentioned into consideration.
                    If you cannot take well-intentioned criticism, well...that is your problem, but don't yell at me.
                    This is disscussion board and when you post on it, expect answers,comments and/or disscussions. If you just want "attaboy's", whell....you will get it from me, when you explain it to me, reasonably.

Comment

Not interrogation, just asking.
                      You are advising people to do what you did. I didn't see that you told them to take mentioned into consideration.
                      If you cannot take well-intentioned criticism, well...that is your problem, but don't yell at me.
                      This is disscussion board and when you post on it, expect answers,comments and/or disscussions. If you just want "attaboy's", whell....you will get it from me, when you explain it to me, reasonably.
                      Fair comment. Agreed, not everyone may think of flashes of bright sun light being bounced off the material and I should have included that in my initial "what did I do?" as a "Beware of.." I'll edit and put that in :-)

Sorry Amper.
                      T-EGBB16

Comment

attaboy!

Comment

attaboy!
                          lol. Edit done and in Bold just to be sure :-)
                          T-EGBB16

Comment

Originally posted by Responder View Post
                            Dear all,

Just to advise now that the warmer weather is finally coming to the UK and your Dongles are placed outside of your home. This can also assist others around the World in warm climates too.

To keep my signal from any loss of dB. My Dongle is placed outside my home, in a little black project box attached to my mast to protect it from the elements.

However, since our weather has started warming up, I have noticed over the past couple of days, that when the sun hits my project box (my project box is facing West), the inside of the box get to over 40 degrees Celsius and the Dongle stops working and when it cools down, it's fine again.

Kind regards,
                            You can also use a old Milo or Overtin can by cutting another hole in the other end.
                            Hang the dongle in the middle of the can to prevent direct sunlight hitting on your dongle.

Take a look at those outdoor CCTV camera housing - there is a metal plate surrounding the camera housing to prevent direct sunlight hitting on the housing.
                            F-WSSS1 - Cats refused to Pee & Pooh on RadarBox - Running a FR24 Receiver & DVB-T Dongle 24/7 to piss off The Chief Thief.

Comment

Originally posted by Responder View Post
                              Sounds a good idea Pete but wouldn't the reverse happen (the outer sink heating the inner sink) when hit by direct sunlight rather than cooling?

My idea is working great, as the reflectiveness of the Sun Screen is keeping my Black Project Box cool. Besides, it's all I had at the time of build.

Hey Pete, how did you get your Range Diagram off ADSBScope?
                              Dump1090 on on the pi needs extra parameter "--net-ro-port 31001"

ADSBscope on windows from http://www.sprut.de/electronic/pic/p...html#downloads (I'm running version 2.6, I see 2.7 is available)
                              adsbscope network setup set to ...
                              PortNumber: 31001
                              URL: IP address of Pi on home network
                              Data Format: Normal
                              Start Raw Data Client (right hand button if the 3 network buttons)

Comment

Working...
                              X