Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dongles Overheating When Placed Outside In Warm Weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Amper View Post
    Not interrogation, just asking.
    You are advising people to do what you did. I didn't see that you told them to take mentioned into consideration.
    If you cannot take well-intentioned criticism, well...that is your problem, but don't yell at me.
    This is disscussion board and when you post on it, expect answers,comments and/or disscussions. If you just want "attaboy's", whell....you will get it from me, when you explain it to me, reasonably.
    Fair comment. Agreed, not everyone may think of flashes of bright sun light being bounced off the material and I should have included that in my initial "what did I do?" as a "Beware of.." I'll edit and put that in :-)

Sorry Amper.
    T-EGBB16

Hardware: NooElec DVB-T2 Dongle, Raspi Pi2 Mod B, 6dB Collinear Antenna, Nevis Pre-Amp & 1090mhz SAW Filter, 9mtrs WF100 Cable and 28ft Mast.
    Software: Rasbain Jessie Lite, FR24 Feeder, Dump1090mutab and VRS.
    Stats for Mar 18, 2016. Uptime:100%. Aircraft seen:2,012. Positions Reported:486,817. Maximum Distance:243nm (Stats provided by FR24)

attaboy!
    For official support use Contact Form

Quote Originally Posted by Amper View Post
    attaboy!
    lol. Edit done and in Bold just to be sure :-)
    T-EGBB16

Hardware: NooElec DVB-T2 Dongle, Raspi Pi2 Mod B, 6dB Collinear Antenna, Nevis Pre-Amp & 1090mhz SAW Filter, 9mtrs WF100 Cable and 28ft Mast.
    Software: Rasbain Jessie Lite, FR24 Feeder, Dump1090mutab and VRS.
    Stats for Mar 18, 2016. Uptime:100%. Aircraft seen:2,012. Positions Reported:486,817. Maximum Distance:243nm (Stats provided by FR24)

Quote Originally Posted by Responder View Post
    Dear all,

Just to advise now that the warmer weather is finally coming to the UK and your Dongles are placed outside of your home. This can also assist others around the World in warm climates too.

To keep my signal from any loss of dB. My Dongle is placed outside my home, in a little black project box attached to my mast to protect it from the elements.

However, since our weather has started warming up, I have noticed over the past couple of days, that when the sun hits my project box (my project box is facing West), the inside of the box get to over 40 degrees Celsius and the Dongle stops working and when it cools down, it's fine again.

Kind regards,
    You can also use a old Milo or Overtin can by cutting another hole in the other end.
    Hang the dongle in the middle of the can to prevent direct sunlight hitting on your dongle.

Take a look at those outdoor CCTV camera housing - there is a metal plate surrounding the camera housing to prevent direct sunlight hitting on the housing.
    F-WSSS1 - Cats refused to Pee & Pooh on RadarBox - Running a FR24 Receiver & DVB-T Dongle 24/7 to piss off The Chief Thief.

Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Responder View Post
    Sounds a good idea Pete but wouldn't the reverse happen (the outer sink heating the inner sink) when hit by direct sunlight rather than cooling?

My idea is working great, as the reflectiveness of the Sun Screen is keeping my Black Project Box cool. Besides, it's all I had at the time of build.

Hey Pete, how did you get your Range Diagram off ADSBScope?
    Dump1090 on on the pi needs extra parameter "--net-ro-port 31001"

ADSBscope on windows from http://www.sprut.de/electronic/pic/p...html#downloads (I'm running version 2.6, I see 2.7 is available)
    adsbscope network setup set to ...
    PortNumber: 31001
    URL: IP address of Pi on home network
    Data Format: Normal
    Start Raw Data Client (right hand button if the 3 network buttons)

Another tip I find useful and that is to place a couple of those small silicone gel bags that ship with electronic components and other items that help reduce condensation. I had some put in a plastic bag that housed my dongle over the NZ summer and had no problems with heating, cooling or condensation.
    Michael
    Palmerston North,
    New Zealand
    ex-FR24 Feeder