Windows 8.1: Security Update Warnings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 8.1: Security Update Warnings

Microsoft Abandons Windows 8.1: Take Immediate Action Or Be Cut Off Like Windows XP

see photosAP Photo/Richard DrewClick for full photo gallery: Microsoft's Biggest Hits And Flops Microsoft has been on a roll lately. Office for iOS (and soon Android), free Windows licenses for small devices, universal Windows and Windows Phone apps, Siri rival Cortana, even a promise to eventually return the start menu before [...]

Microsoft confirms it's dropping Windows 8.1 support

Microsoft TechNet blog makes clear that Windows 8.1 will not be patched; users must get Windows 8.1 Update if they want security patches
    AMS Daily Fight Information: http://schiphol.dutchplanespotters.nl/

Mike,

Thanks for alerting us to this issue. It would appear that I am one of those affected as I've been unable to install the update mentioned in your 2nd link and when attempting to do so was left with an almost useless laptop. Finally I did get it up and running again but the update isn't yet installed (now I understand why).

I originally had a laptop with Windows Vista (since 2008) and an SBS-1 Basestation happily running well and uploading to FR24 since that time or soon after. After that laptop spat the dummy in December last year I duly forked out approx. $1,500 (Aussie) for a new one with Windows 8 pre-installed (that's all that was available at that time). Along the way I got a notification from Microsoft to instal 8.1 which would give me many 'benefits' over 8.0. BIG MISTAKE.

As it is I cant run the Basestation properly as it wont 'talk' to the Reporter. I have to force them to talk to each other manually (extremely time consuming and frustrating). Many of the 'add-on' programs for Basestation also dont appear to work anymore. So much for backwards compatibility. I can upload to FR24 but it's like patting your head and rubbing your gut at the same time- you can only keep it up for so long before it gets tedious.

Since January I've spent countless hours trying to get things working properly to the point of exhaustion. This just tops it all off. I think I'll give up and junk the lappy altogether. I'd be interested to hear of any others' experiences with this wretched OS, particularly if you have an older version of the Basestation and its associated software.

Since reading those links I've checked my lappy. I've got 'Windows 8.1 Update KB 2919355' sitting, waiting to be installed on it but now find myself wondering do I or don't I? So, rather than being on the chat or uploading to FR24 I'm left buggerising around with a laptop and OS that's almost useless. If only my Vista machine was functional.

Thanks Bill (Gates), you're a champion (NOT).

Regards,
    Gregg
    Last edited by fungus; 2014-04-27, 02:42.
    YSSY2/T-YSSY4 [SBS-1 Basestation w/- SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 Antenna (Thanks Delcomp) ] [Uniden UBCD996T w/- 16 element Wideband Discone VHF/UHF Antenna, and tuned 108MHz-137MHz Airband Antenna] [Trialing a home-brew 1090MHz collinear antenna]

Comment

Just to save confusion to others not in the know, there are 3 different things talked about in those articles

Windows8 - the next advancement on the OS base from Windows XP/7
      Windows8.1 - A re-write of most of the core OS base to broaden compatibility. Can be installed 'ontop' of 8 as an update, or fresh install (safer option)

Windows8.1 update New enhancement patches to bring back some old Windows7 and previous 'features' as they 'realise' there is not as many touch-devices in use (as they hoped there would be) and 'many people still use a keyboard and mouse' so have included some 'new features' to make it easier

Which are really just making it more like XP/W7 since you can actually find things again.

For most, there's no real reason to change from the base 8 version included unless the extra features will be of use.
      Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Oblivian,

Thanks for that clarification. Where I actually fell foul was in assuming that Windows 8.1 was simply another 'update' from Microsoft for Windows 8.0. Far from it. After experiencing problems, as well as some of the promised 'features' of the update I found on the Toshiba website (as it's obviously a Toshiba laptop which I have) that it is necessary to de-activate about 6 or so programs running in the background (all of which they now quaintly term 'Apps') BEFORE updating. I wasn't familiar with any of them, let alone how to de-activate them.

It's a bit late finding out this information after the event in any case. It leaves you in something of a no-man's land trying to decide whether to start all over again as you cant simply uninstall or, as you used to do in previous versions, go back to a previous point before you installed the update (unless that's hidden somewhere on the laptop where I cant find it). Even then, you'd still need to decide how far back to go.

Hopefully all of this will serve as a warning to others. As you've said well, stick with 8.0. I certainly wish I had. I've also noted elsewhere advice from some about un-installing 8.0 and re-installing 7.0. All this simply leaves me scratching my head and utterly disgusted with Microsoft (or as I like to call them 'Macroheadache). It is rather nice to be able to start-up the lappy on desktop, and is lightning fast but of no real benefit if little of your programs (apps) work.

Regards,
        Gregg

BTW if it's supposedly 'broadened compatibility', I'd give it a fail.
        Last edited by fungus; 2014-04-27, 04:18.
        YSSY2/T-YSSY4 [SBS-1 Basestation w/- SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 Antenna (Thanks Delcomp) ] [Uniden UBCD996T w/- 16 element Wideband Discone VHF/UHF Antenna, and tuned 108MHz-137MHz Airband Antenna] [Trialing a home-brew 1090MHz collinear antenna]

Comment

Damm, 8.1 is reasonably usable with a keyboard and mouse - 8 is just plain awkward.

Comment

Microsoft official EOL on Windows 7 Pro is 2020. So if you can get hold of en A-brand pc or laptop (HP, Dell, Lenovo, ...) and a branded installation dvd of Windows 7 Professional, you're safe untill 6 years from now.
            That said, 8.1 isn't that bad, neither is 8. 8.1 update 1 and the forthcoming 8.2 only bring back some useful w7 features.

Comment

Well their stock is now at an all time high in the history of Microsoft. Making people pay for upgrades is only going to be making them more money.

www.ADS-B.ca

Comment

Thread over a year old. Cue spam posts in 3..2...
                Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Working...
                X