Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I contribute? What equipment do I need?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I contribute? What equipment do I need?

How can I contribute?
    What equipment do I need?
    Like all you others on this forum, I am passionate interested in aircraft.
    What equipment do I need to participate in this community?
    Can anyone specify what I need and where I get it cheapest possible.
    I'm living a few steps from ENZV - STAVANGER / Sola.
    Proud distributor of the F-ENZV3 Radar

All info is on this page http://www.flightradar24.com/about.php

Comment

If you read Norwegian, you might also be interested in checking out forum.scanair.no. We have a quite busy radar sub-forum and some very passionate members, some of which live close to you.

ENFB.net
      Radarstation KGVL

Comment

Hi

Do you advise on location of where receivers are ?

I am located down by Alicante, Spain but guess would not want to duplicate existing receiver.

2nd question is regarding cost, there seems to be some lower cost receivers coming available reading postings here, are they compatible with what your software ?

Thanks

Robin..

Comment

We have no receivers on Spain mainland today, so it would be great to have coverage in Alicante area. The new cheaper boxes has not reached the market yet, so i don't know if our software will support them, but i guess it want be a problem.

Comment

Thanks

What do you recommend in the way of receivers. ?

I cant afford to spend too much.

Comment

There are just 2 on the market, SBS-1 and Airnav. My recommendation goes to SBS-1.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                There are just 2 on the market, SBS-1 and Airnav. My recommendation goes to SBS-1.

If course the SBS-1 is recommended, because it is the state of the art and the most expensive too but for the newcomer when the price tag shines around €600 its too much.

But now are things happening on the market of ADS-B receivers for the hobbyist that will spread this hobby much quicker then earlier with the huge push of the latest volcano happenings as an additional booster.

Several home-brews exist plus the very interesting newcomer "PlaneGadget" from www.radargadgets.com and soon is also the "Aurora Virtual Radar 3D" from www.auroraeurotech.com released.

On the link http://www.flightradar24.com/about.php there is a lot of how it works in general explained but it really doesn't tell me what I need to prepare to join the network, what application I need to use to connect to your server etc. and that is a bit crucial if I should put my € to build home-brew hardware, the affordable PlaneGadget or if we are locked to use the for me too expensive units SBS-1 or Airnav.

The big question are if the affordable "PlaneGadget" hardware is supported because for €240, which this unit costs, the number of nodes will for sure literally explode in the aftermath of the volcano.
                It's a golden opportunity to get more nodes into the network if there is possibilities to make home-brewed interfaces, PlaneGadget and later on also the Aurora interfaces to talk to your server.

There are more then 2 interfaces on the market but if we can use them to contribute to your server/application is the big question.

/Pelle
                Last edited by Pelle900; 2010-04-18, 19:27.

Comment

Thanks Pelle

Link you mentioned not quite right, should be http://www.radargadgets.com/index.htm

This and the Aurora sound very interesting.

It would be good to see a side by side review of the different systems.

As a newcomer like myself, its all a bit confusing.

I have demo software on my laptop from airnav and kinetic.

Though its interesting to see whats going on locally I think the idea of sharing data is great so its possible to see the whole flight puts everything into perspective.

Still looking before I commit.

Thanks

Robin..

Comment

I don't believe that "Aurora Virtual Radar 3D" will reach the market. They have been writing "SOON" for more than 5 months.

I have never seen PlaneGadget before and I don't think it will work with our software as it doesn't have any "real" software included that our software can communicate with. But I will order one PlaneGadget to make a test.

The reason why I recommend SBS-1er is mainly because of the network port. USB is not stable.

Comment

Hi Robin

An "s" fell off in the end of the link. I have corrected it in the post above so now it works.

Yes the Aurora system was not significant more expensive then the other new-comer but what I can see the release-date was set to be in the beginning of the year but still nothing on the market so let's see when it arrives.

The problem is that now is the real interest to buy it. 3 weeks ago had been perfect to have it in the mailbox but who could know

/Pelle

Comment

I don't believe that "Aurora Virtual Radar 3D" will reach the market. They have been writing "SOON" for more than 5 months.
                        Here I found some information about the Aurora: http://radarspotters.eu/forum/index.php/board,41.0.html

April 14th they stated:

We are manufacturing at present, you will understand that I don't want to give a release date until we have the Virtual Radar 3D in stock ready to ship.
                        I've signed in to be informed when the box is available. So I will see...

Comment

The reason why I recommend SBS-1er is mainly because of the network port. USB is not stable.
                          If I understand correctly are you saying no USB device is stable ?
                          Looking at early SBS-1 they only had usb interface.
                          Does the same apply.

I want to buy right unit that is future proof as much as possible but concerned at having to buy the most expensive unit on market for that.

Comment

I have never seen PlaneGadget before and I don't think it will work with our software as it doesn't have any "real" software included that our software can communicate with. But I will order one PlaneGadget to make a test.
                            OK, so there is a software part I need to install on "my side" so to speak. Another clue that also rules out all home-brewed decoders.

Then you need to talk to the people at Planeplotter www.coaa.co.uk/planeplotter.htm who has adopted this new hardware into their application. It cost €25 and works with the expensive units too so skip the hardware and put the efforts in interfacing with this software instead and let those guys deal with the different hardware's.
                            If you manage to dock to Planeplotter then many of the home-brewed decoders will also be able to join your project I saw now when I did some research on what applications the brewers are using.

/Pelle
                            Last edited by Pelle900; 2010-04-18, 22:12.

Comment

Originally posted by robin View Post
                              If I understand correctly are you saying no USB device is stable ?
                              Looking at early SBS-1 they only had usb interface.
                              Does the same apply.

I want to buy right unit that is future proof as much as possible but concerned at having to buy the most expensive unit on market for that.
                              USB is good, but USB is not enough for 24/7 usage. All of our receivers where we have SBS-1 (not ER), and use USB, crashes the USB-port totally about once a month. A restart of the computer is not enough to get the USB working again, but the power has to be completely cut off. With receivers on remote positions that creates lots of problems. And even if you have the receiver at home and can make a easy power off/on, murphy's law will make the USB crash, the day you less need it.

Comment

Working...
                              X