Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple Phantom T-PP1 Contacts On Web

Aloha,

For the last few days there have been several occasions with multiple phantom (bogus) contacts appearing in the vicinity of Oahu, Hawaii, all with a radar identifier of T-PP1. These are being displayed on the FR24 website, my premium account, on a PC running Chrome on Windows 7.

I have attached a screen shot taken at 20:29 30 Mar UTC.

The ICAO 24 codes are all bogus, typically in the A10XXX and C00XXX series. It appears to me that often there are more of these phantom contacts than we ever see with position data near Oahu. In some cases it appears that the phantom contacts may be a delayed duplicate (except for ICAO 24 code) of a valid contact being provided by another T or F feeder. At other times there are no valid contacts near the phantom.

If a known system problem I'd appreciate knowing that, as well as whether or not there is anything I can do to eliminate the spurious contacts.

Mahalo,

ChuckinKona

PhantomFR24.jpg

T-PP1 is planeplotter uploading feeders that do not have the standalone app.

And yes, has been known to cause trouble in other areas.

Should see it less and less as the FR24 moves to their own feeder base instead of relying on many other networks also contributing
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Aloha Oblivian and all others interested,

I understand the T-PP1 radar designator is for Planeplotter, but I still am headscratching because the official Planeplotter data base (and map) of active sharers shows only 2 sharers into Planeplotter in the State of Hawaii. I'm one of them, and I am in contact with the other one. I am quite sure that he is not also feeding FR24, but have an email out to confirm as it has been awhile since we have been in contact. But, let's assume that he isn't feeding, and I am feeding FR24 directly as T-PHKO1 and do not have my Planeplotter set to feed FR24. Now the question is, where are the phantom contacts coming from if there are only two Hawaii sharers for PP and neither of us are set to feed from PP to FR24?

ChuckinKona

Comment

ChuckinKona - I too noticed it and reported it last week (with screenshots) to support at FR24. I report as T-PHNL5.

cp
        (Oahu)

Comment

Aloha CP,

Mahalo for the reply. Have received any feedback from support@FR24?

Can you confirm that your receiver is on the windward side of Oahu? That the way it looks with your feedings as far North as you do. Setup?

ChuckinKona

Comment

Yes indeed. Kailua in fact. This week, a new rooftop antenna will go up and the reach should be vastly improved. I have a DVB-T stick and have been testing using small indoor antenna (hence how optimistic I am about new reach when large antenna is up). I have line of sight out over mainland arrival/departures.

I did hear from Mike re. T-PP1 traffic and he asked for screenshots, which I provided. Nothing since. They are clearly errant or I should be seeing a flock of low flying jets at 300 ft and 75 kts directly overhead!

Comment

Aloha CP,
              In my case going to a good antenna, on the roof made a big improvement in range. I get contacts from high flying aircraft beyond 300 NM, which is essentially the line of sight due to the curvature of the earth, taking into account my 1,500 foot elevation and view out of the Pacific. If you Google something along the lines of VHF line of sight you should be able to find a calculator online to estimate you max potential range. Note that most give SM, so you may need to convert to NM.

Comment

Interesting. And just like that - at UTC 5:05, all T-PP1 targets vanished.

Comment

I am seeing the same thing in the DFW ie Dallas/FtWorth area as of late.fr24001.jpg
                  almost every plane is a PP1 with no callsign, a couple are "blocked"

Comment

Aloha,

Still often seeing swarms of bogus (invalid ICAO24 codes) T-PP1 contacts in vicinity of Honolulu. I'd been hoping to get an explanation of what is going on besides T-PP1 = fed from Planeplotter. I don't see how they can be coming from Planeplotter in Hawaii as I can see the Hawaii local Planeplotter data and it doesn't have the bogus contacts.

Or, even better yet, perhaps a system wide filter could be put in such as FR24 not display if 1) T-PP1 radar code, and 2) ICAO24 code not in FR24 Database.

Chuck

Comment

Working...
                    X