Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which is more important: Hardware, sightlines or elevation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BPO View Post
    No, not yet. I'm still awaiting the arrival of the new antenna masts. I'm hoping to have the final move completed by the end of next week.
    Wow... new antenna masts, FR24 owes you quite a bit as you have to fork out quite a bit of money. I will be excited to see the mast installed would be nice to be able to see it. Thanks for the update mate.
    Last edited by North Borneo Radar; 2014-03-27, 11:21.

Comment

Originally posted by North Borneo Radar View Post
      Wow... new antenna masts, FR24 owes you quite a bit as you have to fork out quite a bit of money.
      I can't blame ADS-B, because these are shared masts: I'll also be mounting the new backhaul antennas and sundry other bits-and-pieces.

I will be excited to see the mast installed would be nice to be able to see it. Thanks for the update mate.
      I have to post pictures or it won't have happened. It just stands to reason.

Comment

I wonder if having a mast on a mountain becomes self financing - as others see an essential use for it and pay to rent space.

Comment

The number of aircraft and the ranges detected by my FR24 receiver has taken a massive nosedive in the last day or so, and I'm assuming it's due to the utterly dismal unseasonal weather we're currently "enjoying." I'd never previously thought about that.

Comment

The number of aircraft and the ranges detected by my FR24 receiver has taken a massive nosedive in the last day or so, and I'm assuming it's due to the utterly dismal unseasonal weather we're currently "enjoying." I'd never previously thought about that.
            What weather are you experiencing? A quick peak at Benmore Peak says forecast snowfall.

Maybe the snowfall is affecting your range... but it shouldn't affect it too much?

Comment

What weather are you experiencing?
              Dense cloud and heavy rain over much of the South Island. I'm assuming there's a whole lotta fade goin' on.

Comment

Dense cloud and heavy rain over much of the South Island. I'm assuming there's a whole lotta fade goin' on.
                At my place where rain could be heavy (and very heavy!) , I notice no reduction in range in general. Sometimes it might decrease a bit and sometimes it might increase a bit... but nothing towards nosedive in reception.

Comment

At my place where rain could be heavy (and very heavy!) , I notice no reduction in range in general. Sometimes it might decrease a bit and sometimes it might increase a bit... but nothing towards nosedive in reception.
                  Hmmmm... Interesting... Could it be because the FR24 is actually in the clouds, and "looking" through them?

Comment

Hmmmm... Interesting... Could it be because the FR24 is actually in the clouds, and "looking" through them?
                    Maybe.. I don't know. I am no expert in this field. Will need someone who knows 1090mhz stuffs to share their thoughts on this...

Comment

Depending on the cloud thickness and how heavy the rain is, my range can be similar to a sunny day or I can lose 30 to 50 km in range. I've also noticed a bigger drop (40 to 80km) when humidity is really low, possibly the air allowing for more static (noise). When you have good conditions with little change in humidity (no lower then 45% but no higher then 85%), range is stable.
                      F-YSWG1 and T-YSWG2

Comment

Originally posted by YSWG View Post
                        Depending on the cloud thickness and how heavy the rain is, my range can be similar to a sunny day or I can lose 30 to 50 km in range. I've also noticed a bigger drop (40 to 80km) when humidity is really low, possibly the air allowing for more static (noise). When you have good conditions with little change in humidity (no lower then 45% but no higher then 85%), range is stable.
                        hmmm... interesting findings. One day I hope to have some weather station set up.. that should give some idea on the influence of weather on range perhaps.

Comment

Hi BPO,

noted your feed seems to be down. Working on the installations of the setup at the newly assembled mast is it?

Comment

Working...
                          X