Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contrail Spotting Video Database

Hello All,

Every since I got the full version of Flightradar24 on my HTC phone, I have been even more inspired than I was before to capture contrail videos! If any of you are interested in contrail videos, please feel free to check out this new site (in my signature below) )devoted to good quality contrail videos, and the photographers who capture the beauty of aircraft in flight!
    Attached Files
    Contrail Collection Network - Canada
    www.contrailcollection.com
    Why waste the gas to go to the airport when aviation is all around, right in your own backyard!

Hey all,

I just completed a short clip of shots on youtube that showcases what the type of decent footage is contained and maintained moving forward. Feel free to check it out

Last edited by artoftheskies; 2014-04-29, 03:02. Reason: Video was re-uploaded with better quality... :)!
    Why waste the gas to go to the airport when aviation is all around, right in your own backyard!

Comment

Really nice video - what sort of equipment are you using to get these shots?

Comment

Thanks for the nice comment. I am currently using a 6" / 1200mm Skywatcher telescope. In some instance I have a 1.4x tele-converter as well which ups it to around 1700mm. Tomorrow though, I get my new 2700mm Maksutov for the really close up videos ! Here is a great example from an awesome photographer in Hungary who uses a set up like that...some videos with a 2x barlow as well!...

Comment

Wow - amazing stuff. Are these terrestrial or astronomical scopes?

Comment

I am assuming astronomical, but here is the exact telescope I am using for the videos above. The new one coming for me is definitely an astronomical. Best of all worlds I guess !

http://www.kwtelescope.com/sky-watch...aditional.html

Comment

Excellent - my reason for asking is i've been into contrail spotting for many years but have so far failed to find a suitable telescope for spotting with. This one looks ideal in terms of magnification and quality. Do you need to invert the image at all? I was always led to believe that an astronomical scope displays its image upside down - is that correct?

Comment

Funny thing is, I was the same way. Always looking and dreaming of a beautiful camera lens... and imagining a hefty price tag! Then one day I called up the telescope store and asked them. Prices pretty good and as far as I am concerned best way to do these type of vids or pics. I also thought the image would be inverted due to the first crappy retail store telescope I used. The new ones, like this, with mirrors doesn't give you an inverted image as all is reflected. I cannot speak for all telescopes, just the one I bought and have been using. If you are near a telescope store, I would go in and talk to them to confirm before ordering one. When looking through the finder scope it will be inverted, but in camera should look normal and record normal like in the videos i posted above.

Only issues I find, is lack of autofocus if using a dslr camera (maybe some work, but not my dslrs) it is focused by telescope. Once you get focus though, it is generally the same spot with maybe fine tuning. Other issue, is you cannot control aperture like with camera lens, so you must control camera speed and during bright daylight, may get a lot of light causing a slight haze. But with troubleshooting and tactics, you can minimize and improve images!

Comment

Thats great to know. Thanks for the info and for sharing the vids - the website is also brilliant !! Well done

Comment

No problem! Thanks again for the comments. Best of luck with getting a telescope! If you do and start making vids, be sure to drop by and share some!

Comment

I just have to share this! Thanks again to FL24 for letting me know of this delayed A380!!! Would never have seen and recorded it otherwise !!

Comment

Today the Database (http://www.contrailcollection.com) sits at 150 videos added so far and about 150 in the queue for the next couple months. Check out some of the newest videos:

Korean A380 - by artoftheskies http://contrailcollection.com/2014/0...2-may-25-2014/

American MD-88 - by artoftheskies http://contrailcollection.com/2014/0...l-may-21-2014/

Turkish A321 - by ptamas38 http://contrailcollection.com/2014/0...y-may-10-2014/

Thomas Cook 767 - by ptamas38
                        http://contrailcollection.com/2014/0...a-may-10-2014/

Feel free to search flights. More are added almost daily!!!

If you take videos and wish to added your collection, please feel free to read the info and join if you wish! Hope you enjoy the clips!!!

Comment

Hey All, Just thought I would share some interesting videos I captured over last year or so for your viewing enjoyment! As always can thank FR24 for wonderful app/website for helping me locate these birds!

Sync'd footage (2 focal lengths)

I wanted to spark some debate (I know it is not a Chemtrail)

Nice 2 focal lentghs sync'd Air Canada Rogue 767

C-17!!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X