Newbie saying hi & seeking advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie saying hi & seeking advice

I joined the site yesterday after lurking for a couple of days........due to ill health, I am spending more time indoors, so needed a hobby to keep me occupied & sane......aircraft have always fascinated me, so I looked into expanding that interest & have purchased (second hand) a UNIDEN BEARCAT EZI-33XLT HANDHELD SCANNER, which I am awaiting delivery of.....as is my want, I have done some homework on getting my first scanner & this one seems ok for the job initially & will help introduce me to everything....I am eyeing this antenna as an upgrade (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3709583507...84.m1423.l2649), as I believe from reading, that the supplied one may not be sufficient. I live about 25 miles from Heathrow & on many days & evenings, the flight path for aircraft landing there is directly over my house (Barnet) at around 7000 - 8000ft, so I'm hoping I will be able to listen in to the control tower & flights......I'm not sure if the scanner will arrive with a manual & I've been searching on the Uniden site for a download, but it doesn't seem to mention this particular model anywhere.....If anyone can guide me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it......I have a link to an "airport code" site, so that I'll be aware of each flight that I follow & am looking forward to starting......any advice or guidance would be welcome........Thanks............Chris.

The stock antenna on your handheld should be good to receive aircraft transmissions out several hundreds of miles from your location as the aircraft are very high in the sky. I have heard many things, including the Space Shuttle when it was still flying, with the little rubber ducky antenna on a handheld. The control tower will be harder without a roof mounted antenna unless you are very close. I would visit http://ukradioscanning.com/viewforum.php?f=10 for frequency and other information specific to your local area. Happy listening!

Comment

High JackL & thanks for the info. My scanner arrived this morning & I'm sitting here playing with it now. I've managed to tune into the flights that are approaching Heathrow, over my house (Barnet), but not really anything else. However, it's early days & I am still getting my head around the scanner. Thanks for the link. I will go on there now & have a look.

Comment

Working...
      X