Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone has any idea what this kind of flight pattern means?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone has any idea what this kind of flight pattern means?

It's almost as if they're looking for something? As far as I can see it took off somewhere near Munster, Germany.

FL24.jpg

Google-maps 'satellite' mapping / bing-maps 'birds eye'

Comment

Thank you. Yes, that's very well possible. I can't think of anything else either. Also because it's a privately owned aircraft. Anyhow, it's gone now.

Comment

Looks like an aerial photography flight to me. It may or may not be for an entity like Google Maps (IME the closest close-ups are photos taken from aircraft, not satellites), however the practice far predates these online services. The job could have been done for a governmental agency, for instance.

Comment

Originally posted by Speed Daemon View Post
          Looks like an aerial photography flight to me. It may or may not be for an entity like Google Maps (IME the closest close-ups are photos taken from aircraft, not satellites), however the practice far predates these online services. The job could have been done for a governmental agency, for instance.
          Antwerp city, it's large harbour area and extensive chemical industry seem to be the target. So yes, it could be a governmental agency (then again, why would they charter a Swiss aircraft?). It could also be commissioned by one of the large companies locate there, like ExxonMobil, Bayer, etc..

Thank you for your reply.

Comment

Originally posted by Glockenspiel View Post
            Antwerp city, it's large harbour area and extensive chemical industry seem to be the target. So yes, it could be a governmental agency (then again, why would they charter a Swiss aircraft?). It could also be commissioned by one of the large companies locate there, like ExxonMobil, Bayer, etc..
            Yes, it could have been commissioned by a large industrial company, perhaps to search for unused or farm land to buy as they expand. Or a wireless phone company looking for new places to put their cell sites. Many good reasons to do this!

I'm guessing that the plane must be able to accommodate the special cameras that are used for aerial photogrammetry or some other form of photography that's more advanced than simply taking photos out the window of a plane. It could be that the closest plane/camera available for that purpose is based in another city.

When I was growing up, I had a neighbor who had taken the aerial photographs of the area back in the 1930s, which were used to make various types of maps. The place where my house was built used to be in the middle of a horse track on a farm. Pretty cool!

Comment

Could be a contract job from the Port of Antwerp.
              (in Dutch) http://www.portofantwerp.com/nl/news...e-koop-masshop

Comment

Hello everyone!
                I have also some strange capture from FR24 map...

FR-17mar14.jpg
                FR-19mar14.jpg
                FR-27mar14 c.jpg

Same aircraft; different days...
                =========
                ...all the best!
                F-LRBS1

Comment

Working...
                X