This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cambridge
    why have we not heard anything about submarines searching for the black box recorders pings ? surely usa or uk could send a sub or 2 to help ???
    aussie ones will all be in the ship yard..... broken !!

Comment

• Latest vdo clips - with almost nothing new.

Auf YouTube findest du die angesagtesten Videos und Tracks. Außerdem kannst du eigene Inhalte hochladen und mit Freunden oder gleich der ganzen Welt teilen.

Last edited by voyager10; 2014-03-24, 02:53.

Comment

• Latest Amsa update
        cumulative search amsa.jpg

A timeline of the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA’s) involvement in the search for Malaysia Airlines flight MH370.

Comment

• FYI location finding, see more details in the off topic thread.

You are doing some great work, cutting a pasting the pics. Just keep in mind swell direction and wind direction, a lot of the "targets" people are getting, are just waves with the white water at the top crashing.
          For the southern Ocean pics at the time of shots, there was swell from the SW, and wind from the East/North East. Hence the line of white water from a wave, will be from top left, to bottom right of the pic.
          What has been catching my eyes, has been shapes/lines that don't fit that direction, then you look harder.
          A southern ocean wave could easily have a white water top, 5-10m in length, and a trail of 10m after the break.

When looking at the malaysia pics last week, the white water top, was just a white dot, 2m max. unfortunately hundreds of people were marking wave tops as wreckage.

Final FYI for everybody, is the Lat and long
          don't confuse degrees and decimal of a degree,(ie: :-7.565485 is the same as 7 degrees 33.92 mins S, which is the same as 7 degrees 33' mins 55" seconds S

Note the chinese sat pics, are in degrees, minutes and seconds,(just like when you used to use a sextant !!!)
          whereas tomnod /google is in degrees and decimal of a degree.; (surveyors form)
          and Amsa are using degrees minutes and decimal of a minute..... the more normal form especially marine GPS units.

So using the wrong form, could have 40-50 nautical mile error to the position. ..

Comment

• image1.jpgimage.jpg
            The MH066 flight lands at Hong Kong Airport. -- Pictures from facebook posting

Malaysia Airlines flight diverted after electrical problem

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (CNN) -- A Malaysia Airlines flight from Kuala Lumpur to Incheon, South Korea, was diverted to Hong Kong early Monday because of a problem with its electrical supply, the airline said.

The plane, an Airbus A330-300, landed in Hong Kong "uneventfully," Malaysia Airlines said, and the 271 passengers on board have been transferred onto flights with other airlines.

The reason for the diversion of Malaysia Airlines Flight 066 was "an inoperative aircraft generator, which supplies normal electrical power," the company said. Electrical power continued to be supplied by the plane's auxiliary power unit, it said.

Malaysia Airlines is in the international spotlight following the disappearance more than two weeks ago of one of its passenger jets with 239 people on board. That plane, Flight 370, was on its way from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing when it vanished over Southeast Asia.

Comment

• Bhavlobhuro.. we realize they are under scrutiny now. However these other issues should be in their own thread under the "Incidents/reports" area. And not guiding away from the current search.
              Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

• OK this is another newbie, although not because of MH370, I have been using FR24 as a guest for some time tracking my family members travels around the world. However I have read all the posts in this thread as this incident developed and one thing struck me, way back in this thread there were comments that for an additional small cost of about 10USD the transponder could have been upgraded to send burst date to a satellite relay. If so is this upgrade likely to be made mandatory.
                Also whenever I fly I notice the blinking LED on the rechargeable emergency torches above the cabin crews seats, why cannot a simple HF (no line of sight restriction), one button transmitter be also plugged in next to it and set to one of the amateur (ham) radio emergency frequencies? The amateur network has global coverage. Relying on the pilot to control communications seems like putting all your eggs in one basket.

Comment

• Originally posted by anterian View Post
                  The amateur network has global coverage. Relying on the pilot to control communications seems like putting all your eggs in one basket.
                  Thats a Part iam wondering also, specialy if i hear that ALL Coomunication CAN be switch of from Pilot inside the Cockpit. ( Reason= emergency, fire bla bla ).
                  I cant so realy beliefe it, becose in other Vehicle like Car, Bus, Trucks, Train, Ship the using also many technical Parts, and i never hear about that this can switch off.
                  Mostly what i read is that in Vehicle ( Car, Bus and so ) this automatic Locations Items, are a Part to SAVE the Passenger in emergency Situation.
                  The using Camera in Bus and Trains, GPS over Cellphone network in Trucks and Cars, latest news in EU all new Vehicles MUST have a automatic Locator. ( there is no switch off ..... )

So why a Airplan is so much different ?? thinking thinking is there a Lobby the want that airplanes still unsave, and can using for Terrorists ?

Comment

• Anyone know how one could identify a small section of a broken aircraft? Would each airframe panel of the exterior skin and each internal furnishing (including internal walls) have identifier etched on for a central database to relate this back to a specific airframe?

Comment

• Originally posted by peterhr View Post
                      Does anyone have any there?
                      Much earlier, I posted a similar question and noted that there should be (via broad internet surfing) either Chinese, Indian, US, and Russian submarines regularly patrolling that (or not far from) area. My question at the time was not on these submarines picking up the pings, but for them to pick up the acoustics of a plane crashing in that part of the ocean.

Have had no response yet.....

Comment

• Originally posted by Mac Attack View Post
                        Much earlier, I posted a similar question and noted that there should be (via broad internet surfing) either Chinese, Indian, US, and Russian submarines regularly patrolling that (or not far from) area. My question at the time was not on these submarines picking up the pings, but for them to pick up the acoustics of a plane crashing in that part of the ocean.

Have had no response yet.....
                        The answer is no. The reason is that as cute as the penguins of Grande Terre and Heard Islands are nobody has identified them as a national security threat - yet.

Comment

• If SOSUS ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SOSUS ) can detect a submarine in stealth mode, I would assume it could hear the sounds of a large passenger jet crashing into the ocean?

Comment

• The black box ..

The beacon sends out pulses at 37.5 kilohertz (kHz) and can transmit sound as deep as 14,000 feet (4,267 m). Once the beacon begins "pinging," it pings once per second for 30 days.
                            A "ping" signal for use in locating the box under water. It only has a range of 1-2 nautical miles. Therefore if the water is deep, the sub, or ship needs to be almost over-head.
                            The signal will travel further above ground, than below.

Yes a sub would be useful, if there was one searching near Malaysia, it would take 5-8 days to re-task it to the southern ocean. I am sure they will deploy one, if there is verified aircraft remains found.

As for the acoustics of the plane crashing. ....

You would have to be within 2-3 nm. Be able to differentiate the signal from surface wave noise, and to have been listening at exactly the correct time.
                            surface noise travels a lot less distance than under sea noise like whale songs or propellor noise from ships.
                            The impact noise would have lasted only about 10 seconds max,
                            so very little probablity of detection.

The ocean area where they are searching 3500 -4500 m deep. The searching ship or sub, needs to be above it to hear it.
                            up off the Andaman island 1500 - 3200 metres deep

Comment

• Originally posted by grandbanks View Post
                              The black box ..

The beacon sends out pulses at 37.5 kilohertz (kHz) and can transmit sound as deep as 14,000 feet (4,267 m). Once the beacon begins "pinging," it pings once per second for 30 days.
                              A "ping" signal for use in locating the box under water. It only has a range of 1-2 nautical miles. Therefore if the water is deep, the sub, or ship needs to be almost over-head.
                              The signal will travel further above ground, than below.

Yes a sub would be useful, if there was one searching near Malaysia, it would take 5-8 days to re-task it to the southern ocean. I am sure they will deploy one, if there is verified aircraft remains found.

As for the acoustics of the plane crashing. ....

You would have to be within 2-3 nm. Be able to differentiate the signal from surface wave noise, and to have been listening at exactly the correct time.
                              surface noise travels a lot less distance than under sea noise like whale songs or propellor noise from ships.
                              The impact noise would have lasted only about 10 seconds max,
                              so very little probablity of detection.

The ocean area where they are searching 3500 -4500 m deep. The searching ship or sub, needs to be above it to hear it.
                              up off the Andaman island 1500 - 3200 metres deep
                              The US has already pre-positioned a deep towed hydrophone array for this purpose. These are towed at depth - typically 1,000 to 2,000 meters deep, by a surface ship - moving very slowly.

Comment

• Dahboo's new video is out,..

ahh...cmon...show some respect plzz!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X