This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mac Attack View Post
    I wonder what the National Enquirer has to say about this.....
    Surprisingly, nothing. But according to Weekly World News, the US has new help in the search:

Comment

• Originally posted by Speed Daemon View Post
      If we've learned anything from this thread, it's that it's surprisingly easy to get the facts to fit your idea.

As for the Top Gear guys, my theory is that the show's real purpose is to send secret messages to evil dictators around the world. The Ukraine episode was to tell Putin that he had a green light to invade. Mark my words, the Russians will enter Chernobyl shortly.

And the Stig is Keyser Söze.
      Thanks. I knew it. I just needed confirmation.

Comment

Please refer to earlier (and other blog's if I may add) posts with regards to the reliability of CNN "news". CNN is not "reporting news".... they are creating confusion.

Kuala Lumpur, Indonesia.

Use this:
        Screen name: I-F member
        Pass: 123456

Comment

Not it they land in the southern Indian Ocean with the great whites sharks!
          First Class gets escape pods that float, have EPIRB and free headphones.

Comment

• Originally posted by peterhr View Post
            I'm repeating myself here -

they should fit all passenger planes with a trickle charged, battery powered, gps pinger - inaccessible while in flight - that once every 5 minutes or so sends a signal to satellite to say where the plane is, it's height and speed.

This doesn't take the place of ADS-B which would be much more precise but would have been a huge aid here and would be useful to oceanic ATC

By all means encrypt the signal.

The device could be one size fits all Boeing, Aibus, Embrar etc.
            Just transmitting the existing ADS-B packets via satellite would address your requirement.

At present ADS-B data is transmitted via two channels - via a ground based net and via 1090ES (which is how this site is able to receive it).

The real issue is how to place electronic equipment onboard aircraft that cannot be turned off.

Comment

In addition, add a device in each aircraft that could withstand crashes (via protective case?) and would float (absolutely) to the surface to emit locating signals in case of landing/crashing on water. This floating device would complement the FDR pinger which I understand from earlier posts of this thread to transmit far on land but not under deep water.
              The exact opposite. The 'pinger' is an acoustic transponder that replies to ship originated interrogations. It only works under water.

But water depth could be an issue here.

Comment

• Originally posted by Exadios View Post
                The exact opposite. The 'pinger' is an acoustic transponder that replies to ship originated interrogations. It only works under water.

Thanks for the clarification. My point is that that there is a need for an (or multiple) emitter(s) that's robust enough to withstand crashes and be able to facilitate others to clearly identify its location whether it is on land or at the bottom of a deep ocean.

I also understand that there are initiatives underway on opportunities to implement satellite based ADS-B receptions. However as you have pointed out, the real issue is on how to avoid transponders or other onboard electronic equipment being turned off.

Comment

• Originally posted by Speed Daemon View Post
                  That would be super! I'd like to hear what they have to say.

I think that hearing it directly from Inmarsat officials does a lot to make that data more credible, after the copious story-changing of the Malaysian government.

Actually the first search was in an area corresponding to the arc along which the last ping came back from. It's not clear if the Malaysian government had the Inmarsat data at that time, but the first search areas were along the arc.

Here you go. Excuse the rough edges, first time video cutting to remove the irrelevant stuff. NB: Broadcast Time was approximately 2200Z (UTC) on March 20th (UTC).

First one is the BBC Newsnight intoductory section.

Having probs with the other two vids. The audio sounds like Donald Duck! Working on it.
                  Last edited by MartH; 2014-03-21, 06:55.

Comment

• Originally posted by whatsgoingonhere View Post
                    Actually, I'm going to post the URL and perhaps you guys can have a look around this area yourselves....there does seem to be a lot of debris??? about....but it's difficult when you don't know what to look for :/

http://www.tomnod.com/nod/challenge/...ocean/map/5191
                    Any idea where that map segment is? Definitely something there, but I guess there is plenty of stuff floating around the world's oceans. Have tomnod responded?

Comment

So how would one locate the FDR if the plane crashed on land? Is there another location emitter?

Comment

The pinger is activated by immersion in water to automatically emit a ping once every second

Comment

• Originally posted by Jackflash View Post
                          The pinger is activated by immersion in water to automatically emit a ping once every second
                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underwater_locator_beacon
                          Thanks. I just assumed that the transponders worked in the same manner as a acoustic subsurface positioning system.

The continual ping design seems rather bizarre. A transponder that only responds to interrogation would allow a longer battery life. However, the present design does not have to have a receiver.

Comment

Just transmitting the existing ADS-B packets via satellite would address your requirement.

At present ADS-B data is transmitted via two channels - via a ground based net and via 1090ES (which is how this site is able to receive it).

The real issue is how to place electronic equipment onboard aircraft that cannot be turned off.
                            but 1 second pings to satellite would probably overwhelm current satellite data capacity to handle the data over a given satellites service area. Hence the suggestion of a much lower rate for the satellite info.

There is currently a project for ADS-B reception by satellite.

Comment

So how would one locate the FDR if the plane crashed on land? Is there another location emitter?
                              I believe that all commercial planes carry an EPIRB. These can be set off manually or automatically and transmit to low altitude satellites which then relay to a ground station. In addition all commercial aircraft (are meant to) monitor a certain VHF emergency frequency. So, if a VHF transmitter survives in working order then aircraft can be contacted.

But one of the main things about land is that it is where people live. I think most crashes on land are witnessed by someone.

Comment

• Originally posted by peterhr View Post
                                but 1 second pings to satellite would probably overwhelm current satellite data capacity to handle the data over a given satellites service area. Hence the suggestion of a much lower rate for the satellite info.

There is currently a project for ADS-B reception by satellite.
                                Yes. This gets back to the currently installed bandwidth issue. But for the purposes of this problem a position once every 5 minutes would be more than adequate. The Air France 447 flight was sending positions via the ACARS satellite link and the searchers has a position report that was 4 minutes old - it still took them 2 years to find.

The present ADS-B ground based link is called UAT. It would not surprise me to learn that there was a plan to implement this link using satellites.

In Australia most of the airspace (at 35,000 feet) is covered by ground UAT stations. I believe that ADS-B is now the primary air control system in Australia with the older radar / Mode S xponders kept on as a secondary system. Over the ocean a satellite based system is the only option.

Comment

Working...
                                X