Dump1090 and Basestation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is a question to the developer sergsero:

As a glider pilot I act as a manager for our gliding airfield from time to time. I am in search for a virtual radar showing both, all the commercial and GA traffic in one application, say on one virtual radar screen. Gliders typically use Flarm rather than ADS-B transponders so you have to deal with it. From the open glider network initiative there is a Flarm decoder existing, that outputs the glider' (or Flarm target's) positions via APRS. Unfortunately there is no way between APRS and SBS format as far as I know.

Having built so many ADS-related protocols and even an AIS receiver as well as ADS receiver:
    Is there a chance you will create such an interface?

IMHO best was to create another input to modesdeco or modesmixer for APRS/Flarm signals. So one could watch all the traffic on one screen.

Thank you,
    Wolfram (Rueckwaertsflieger)

Comment

Originally posted by rueckwaertsflieger View Post
      This is a question to the developer sergsero:

As a glider pilot I act as a manager for our gliding airfield from time to time. I am in search for a virtual radar showing both, all the commercial and GA traffic in one application, say on one virtual radar screen. Gliders typically use Flarm rather than ADS-B transponders so you have to deal with it. From the open glider network initiative there is a Flarm decoder existing, that outputs the glider' (or Flarm target's) positions via APRS. Unfortunately there is no way between APRS and SBS format as far as I know.

Having built so many ADS-related protocols and even an AIS receiver as well as ADS receiver:
      Is there a chance you will create such an interface?

IMHO best was to create another input to modesdeco or modesmixer for APRS/Flarm signals. So one could watch all the traffic on one screen.

Thank you,
      Wolfram (Rueckwaertsflieger)
      Wolfram
      Are you aware that an OGN reciever not only feeds the Open Glider Network but also feeds the data to FR24 so you can see both gliders and ADSB on the one screen, the only thing is that the gliders must be registered on the OGN database otherwise the data is not displayed on FR24.
      It is very easy to setup an OGN reciever using a Raspberry pi and pre built images with a web configuration can be downloaded from OGN to get you up and running in minutes .
      Ben.
      FR24 F-EGLF1, Blitzortung station 878, OGN Aldersht2, PilotAware PWAldersht, PlanePlotter M7.

Comment

Originally posted by F-EGLF1 View Post
        Wolfram
        Are you aware that an OGN reciever not only feeds the Open Glider Network but also feeds the data to FR24 so you can see both gliders and ADSB...
        It is very easy to setup an OGN receiver ...get you up and running in minutes .
        Ben.
        Ah yes, I see,

Ben, you are totally right with exception of the minutes to set up a receiver. Yielding a perfect installation it takes hours, even with the perfect preperations of OGN. But there are severe restrictions with the big approach of FR24. Just to name a few:

There has been ample discussion about property rights on personal tracking data. Thus, private pilots quite often use the "do not track flag", meaning, there will be no forwarding to FR24 or even OGN. With a local display especially without storing tracking data, everything ist fine. You might display all traffic, essential for an ground virtual radar.

I target an application for gliding airfiled manager. Be assured, there are airfields in backcountry without decent network to the internet access. Thus, a networked solution is not valuable.

After having tested OGN receiver with a local display I know, the local has much more frequent fixes giving you a much richer situation awareness than the big FR24 approach. And there are many more aspects.

On bottom line: FR24 is the planespotting spectator's solution, not an airfield manager solution. I target an airfield manager virtual radar "AMVR" app, with many more features, as is weather, especially lightning overlay on map, local wind, etc.

Thank you,
        Wolfram

Comment

Hi
          OK, wonder if anyone can help me with ModeSMixer2.
          So, i can connect my Basestation directly over the network via the IP of 192.168.0.170 on port 10001 and all works fine.
          Now i wish to run several applications to share my data between several organisations i need to use ModeSmixer2.
          I have installed this OK. I have played with the command line and have --inConnect 192.168.0.170:10001 command line in there.
          So, ModeSMixer2 starts up and says Connected to 192.168.0.170:10001 etc. It doesnt say anything else. If I open the web server (yes I have done the --8888 switc option) the chat pages open but no data appears ever, nothing.
          if i also add the outserver sbs10001:10001 which i believe then should let me basestation connect to the ModeSmixer2 output on 1001 (after changing the basestation ip to 127.0.0.1. Basestation says its connected and ModeSMixer screen shows the connection but no aircraft shown. So, to me it looks like I am physically connecting but not passing any data. Any ideas?

Neil

Comment

Do you have BaseStation running at the same time as ModeSMixer2?

If you have, it's "grabbing" the SBS data on 192.168.0.170:10001.
            Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

Originally posted by Anmer View Post
              Do you have BaseStation running at the same time as ModeSMixer2?

If you have, it's "grabbing" the SBS data on 192.168.0.170:10001.
              Hiya
              Nope, understand you can only have one connection into 10001 at a time. Just proving the datastream is there on 10001 with basestation. I shut basestation down and then run ModeSMixer2 and it says connected but never detects a data stream.

Neil

Comment

Thanks. Do you specify a data format in MSM2 and if so, which one?
                Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

Originally posted by Anmer View Post
                  Thanks. Do you specify a data format in MSM2 and if so, which one?
                  Evening.
                  I was under the impression from the instructions that I don't need to specify a data format to read data directly from my SBS1-er.
                  The command line is as follows...

"C:\Aviation Tracking Applications\ModeSMixer2\modesmixer2.exe" --inConnect 192.168.0.170:10001 --web 8888 --location 51.2xx:-1.1xx"

My ultimate wish to read directly the SBS1-er output into ModeSmixer2 from port 10001 and then output this identical data on port 10001 (need to add the --outServer sbs10001:10001 switch in the command line later) on my Windows PC. I can then use Base station to feel my 360Radar & Freedar feeds and also a VRS server
                  Aslo, I can feed FR24 thats currently running a a Raspberry pi with their own build of sharing software. This again, on its own reads data from port 10001 of my SBS. its currently removed from the network whilst I carry out these tests.

Neil

Comment

According to the MSM2 webpage, there is no need to specify a type for data input, only output. (http://xdeco.org/?page_id=48)

SBS has some strange shenanigans.
                    If you are going to run the Basestation program anyway, why not connect to the Basestation program output with MSM2 and redistribute that?

Getting the raw data is of course better but as i said their data output seems to be rather mysterious and made so no one else can properly use the data.

Comment

Originally posted by wiedehopf View Post
                      According to the MSM2 webpage, there is no need to specify a type for data input, only output. (http://xdeco.org/?page_id=48)

SBS has some strange shenanigans.
                      If you are going to run the Basestation program anyway, why not connect to the Basestation program output with MSM2 and redistribute that?

Getting the raw data is of course better but as i said their data output seems to be rather mysterious and made so no one else can properly use the data.
                      Evening

Yes, that's how I understood it to be, MSM2 is supposedly clever enough to work out the input type.
                      Well, thats exactly how I used to do it and run the FR24 feeding software for windows. As we know they stopped this and I was told by support to go use a Raspberry Pi, install their feeder biuld of the Pi operating system and connect that directly to my SBS which I have been doing for about a month now. I did suggest still feeding via Basestation but was told no as it was basestation generating many of the errors they wee seeing and to keep it out of the equation.

Neil

Comment

Even for port 10001 SBS has different output formats for different firmwares or versions of the device i believe.
                        It may just be that MSM2 doesn't support all of them.

Have you tried using the data forwarded by fr24feed when it connects directly to the SBS?
                        That should be possible on rpi-ip:8754 via the fr24feed webinterface.

I'm not sure on which port this data will be provided though, according to:
                        Feel free to post/discuss suggestions here http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...4840#post74840 (http://forum.flightradar24.com/threads/9875-Info-Updates-Ammendments-Placeholder?p=74840#post74840) This guide is not to be taken as officially sourced support information. It is contributor-made Information has been repeated many

the data will be on port 30002 or 30334
                        RAW: 30002 (DVBT) / 30334(other hardware)

that should be 30334 for you.

Maybe you can try that and point MSM2 at one of those ports on the RPi?

P.S.:
                        I'd suggest ditching the SBS stuff, it's no longer developed i believe. (And limiting to one concurrent connection is stupid)
                        An LNA plus rtl-sdr stick has very good reception, maybe better than an an SBS unit.
                        (https://www.rtl-sdr.com/new-product-...mhz-ads-b-lna/ combined with their v3 dongle provides excellent results)

Comment

Don't think the normal decoded datas ports work for sbs due need to convert.

But Further under my ports/sbs section, sbs relay has its own.

20072 is meant to resend the raw in, out again

So ipofpi:27002 for other feeds.

But so few sbs users persevere, test and report back it's all assumption

The come, they ask, they never reply

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
                          Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Originally posted by wiedehopf View Post
                            Even for port 10001 SBS has different output formats for different firmwares or versions of the device i believe.
                            It may just be that MSM2 doesn't support all of them.

Have you tried using the data forwarded by fr24feed when it connects directly to the SBS?
                            That should be possible on rpi-ip:8754 via the fr24feed webinterface.

I'm not sure on which port this data will be provided though, according to:
                            Feel free to post/discuss suggestions here http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...4840#post74840 (http://forum.flightradar24.com/threads/9875-Info-Updates-Ammendments-Placeholder?p=74840#post74840) This guide is not to be taken as officially sourced support information. It is contributor-made Information has been repeated many

the data will be on port 30002 or 30334
                            RAW: 30002 (DVBT) / 30334(other hardware)

that should be 30334 for you.

Maybe you can try that and point MSM2 at one of those ports on the RPi?

P.S.:
                            I'd suggest ditching the SBS stuff, it's no longer developed i believe. (And limiting to one concurrent connection is stupid)
                            An LNA plus rtl-sdr stick has very good reception, maybe better than an an SBS unit.
                            (https://www.rtl-sdr.com/new-product-...mhz-ads-b-lna/ combined with their v3 dongle provides excellent results)
                            Morning

Yes, i did try feeding my 360radar & Freedar feeding software with the output from Basestation which was being driven from the output of my pi using the instructions FR24 gave me but nothing worked. It seemed that positionless MLAT data was being stripped by the pi and although my 360radar & freedar software was working OK it had no data to upload.

I will try some of your suggestions again later as it was a few weeks ago now I tried this and worth looking at again with your help.

Thanks
                            Neil

Comment

Hi all

Thanks for your help on this one.

So, back to step 1. So, removed all other software/hardware from the system and connected the pi back up and running this just fine. Its the special build of their sharing software that they provide as i cant get my head round this pi stuff. I am one of those guys who wants to run an executable by clicking on it and ticking boxes to select options. Anyway, i digress...

I have attached 2 images of the pi feeding software. This connects to port 10001 on my SBS without a problem and shares to FR24. I have attached images of the main screen and settings.
                              FR24 (1).JPG
                              FR24 (2a).jpg

So, this seems to be running OK. Will leave this feeding FR24 for a while and work though some of the options that Wiedehopf has suggected and see what works (or doesnt lol).

Update#1 - So, tried connecting MSM2 to the pi output on port 20072 (192.168.0.171:20072). It connects but again cannot recognise the datafeed. My basestation does however connect to this feed.
                              Connected MSM2 to the 30334 feed (192.168.0.171:30334) and again connects but no datastream recognised.

Neil
                              Last edited by NToombes; 2019-06-15, 12:18. Reason: Update...

Comment

Originally posted by NToombes View Post
                                Update#1 - So, tried connecting MSM2 to the pi output on port 20072 (192.168.0.171:20072). It connects but again cannot recognise the datafeed. My basestation does however connect to this feed.
                                Connected MSM2 to the 30334 feed (192.168.0.171:30334) and again connects but no datastream recognised.

Neil
                                Forget modes2mixer? it clearly has an issue with the BS proprietary data type. When other apps can take it directly. Or the 30006 output from Basestation (app)

("At the same time the application is able to work with hardware Mode-S receivers as modesbeast or SBS-3 with traditional serial (COM Port) connections over USB interface.")
                                Last edited by Oblivian; 2019-06-15, 12:41.
                                Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Working...
                                X