Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31

Thread: difference between radarcape vs dvb-t stick

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Passenger
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    6

    Question difference between radarcape vs dvb-t stick

    Hello

    What is the difference between RADARCAPE ((free ADS-B equipment offer)) and DVB-T Stick ?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Captain
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Dudley area, UK
    Posts
    1,410
    Radarcape is a full receiver that costs about 600 euros - best equipment on the market, but FR24 are very careful where they send them to ensure they will get good return on the cost of the item - is really for people who want to increase coverage in their locality but don't want the bother of building something

    The DVB dongle is like one of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/111245822189
    you would need to provide a computer with internet access (could be a Raspberry Pi [cheap to buy, cheap to run 24/7] or a windows PC), an antenna (self build) etc - more for people who like to tinker with stuff.

  3. #3
    Passenger
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by peterhr View Post
    Radarcape is a full receiver that costs about 600 euros - best equipment on the market, but FR24 are very careful where they send them to ensure they will get good return on the cost of the item - is really for people who want to increase coverage in their locality but don't want the bother of building something

    The DVB dongle is like one of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/111245822189
    you would need to provide a computer with internet access (could be a Raspberry Pi [cheap to buy, cheap to run 24/7] or a windows PC), an antenna (self build) etc - more for people who like to tinker with stuff.
    Thanks peterhr,

    You can say that radarcape is a pre-configured "mini PC"? Ready to install and use and with DVB dongle I have to use a normal PC and setup it all on my own?

    Now I understand better. Thanks

  4. #4
    Captain
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Dudley area, UK
    Posts
    1,410
    Radarcape is a box you connect to the antenna. Power & internet
    Not a PC at all, it has a receiver and Linux computer inside to perform a specific task (much like a modern TV does)

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Passenger
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    6
    Thanks, I understand

  6. #6
    Captain
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    FR24 Feeder
    Posts
    1,232
    You can learn more about the Radarcape box on this wiki page. It's the best receiver to buy
    http://wiki.modesbeast.com/Radarcape:Contents
    Main page: http://www.modesbeast.com/radarcape.html

    Like the post says above, Once everything is hooked up, It will automatically start uploading to FR24 server with your received data.

  7. #7
    Passenger
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalBrian View Post
    You can learn more about the Radarcape box on this wiki page. It's the best receiver to buy
    http://wiki.modesbeast.com/Radarcape:Contents
    Main page: http://www.modesbeast.com/radarcape.html

    Like the post says above, Once everything is hooked up, It will automatically start uploading to FR24 server with your received data.
    Thanks SoCalBrian

  8. #8
    Purser
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    120
    FYI the "DVB-T" designation stands for "Digital Video Broadcasting — Terrestrial", or in other words, regular (not satellite) digital TV. You can buy an inexpensive DVB-T tuner, and with the right 3rd party software, turn it into a software defined radio that's able to receive ADS-B (and possibly aircraft transponder) signals and decode them in your computer. It's the least expensive way to get into ADS-B monitoring, and is potentially very powerful. OTOH it requires a high level of proficiency to get it working and configured, and isn't guaranteed by the manufacturer.

    Turnkey products such as the Radarcape are made specifically for ADS-B monitoring, and (should) come ready to go. And for that you pay a hefty premium. Another thing that the Radarcape can do is feed sites like Flightradar24 even when your computer is turned off. You'll still need a computer to display the information, of course, but the Radarcape doesn't rely on your computer, whereas DVB-T dongles can't do anything without a host computer running software for them.

    I hope that answers the question a little more.

  9. #9
    Captain
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Dudley area, UK
    Posts
    1,410
    Not so harde to configure a DVB-T dngle based reciever - See post 8 in forum
    http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...e-to-feed-FR24

    This uses a Raspberry Pi cigarette pack sized computer to run the receiver - this is similar to to the sort of computer built into the Radarcape.
    Last edited by peterhr; 2014-03-12 at 15:12.

  10. #10
    Purser
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    120
    Quote Originally Posted by peterhr View Post
    Not so harde to configure a DVB-T dngle based reciever...
    "Hard" is a relative thing. What might not be hard for you or I might be prohibitively difficult for people with little to no technical ability.

    I'll grant you that it's really nice to be able to buy a SDR for $20 and a couple of free downloads.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •