Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Reconnaissance Ventures Ltd

Flight attendant

Reconnaissance Ventures Ltd

2500-2600FT @ 00:32 hours is out of order. Surely a noisy aircraft will wake up sleeping residents.

I know they have a job to do (may be mapping roads / checking out City Airport / Thames Barrier)... but still..

First officer
    I don't think aircraft noise would worry too many people on a forum such as this - most of us are plane nuts. There's another thread running here that suggests these Reims Cessna aircraft over London may be operated by the police service. If you look up the aircraft type on Wiki you'll find that one of its stated uses is surveillance.

Flight attendant
    They are back!

Flight attendant
    Another aircraft from the same company is flying in the South... at the same time..

Passenger
    I've noticed some activity this week, over the New Forest and over the Aldershot / Dorking / Reigate area. REV4LF at 02h03 UTC 2015 01 25.pngREV4LF at 03h12 UTC 2015 01 20.png

What are they doing? If it's an aerial survey why are they doing it overnight when it's dark?

Passenger
    Job done, REV4LF was on the way back to BHX at 03h16 UTC
    REV4LF at 03h16 UTC 2015 01 25.png

Quote Originally Posted by Danny1962 View Post
    I've noticed some activity this week, over the New Forest and over the Aldershot / Dorking / Reigate area. REV4LF at 02h03 UTC 2015 01 25.pngREV4LF at 03h12 UTC 2015 01 20.png

What are they doing? If it's an aerial survey why are they doing it overnight when it's dark?
    Maybe, they are doing some instruments calibrations.
    F-WSSS1 - Cats refused to Pee & Pooh on RadarBox - Running a FR24 Receiver & DVB-T Dongle 24/7 to piss off The Chief Thief.

Passenger
    It's 01h00 UTC and REV4LF has just begun a series of sweeps at 6,900' to the immediate west of LGW. This is certainly not a place to be hanging about while LGW is in operation, so overnight will be the only option here.

Flight attendant
    Back again.

I'm leaning towards police/special ops and/or counter intelligence or recon (perhaps even training flights) or the like. And yes, Emergency Service organisations do occasionally lease aircraft and/or personnel, including pilots/crew. The pattern is similar to what I have experienced here in Australia with the NSW Police Force. However, I'm not familiar with either the airspace restrictions/limitations or the geography of that particular area. The circular patterns are very similar to that used here for guiding ground personnel and/or vehicles etc or sometimes to remove oneself from the area to put an offender off guard (thinking 'the cops are gone'). Or that can be to simply get ones bearings or chat to police radio/ATC or ground units if allowed (they need to do so via police radio here), or assess the situation away from the area of interest. The elongated sweeping patterns look more like a search grid pattern. (Or as somebody commented, 'knitting a jumper').

If you are fortunate you'll sometimes see them here around Sydney, and the actual track and altitude can vary depending on type of aircraft (fixed wing or rotary) and as I said, airspace restrictions. I'm much more familiar with them over here than I ever could be with London. We can also listen to them here although police have gone digitally encrypted but still interact with ATC on vhf airband). Here they now use a mixture of fixed wing (for speed measurement of vehicles and control operations for example) and rotary aircraft whereas back in my day it was purely rotary (helo's).

I'm not familiar with where the police and so on are based over there, whereas here the NSW Police Airwing is based at Bankstown Airport to the west of Sydney.

Or, it may in fact simply be mapping as I've also seen that here and it's not out of the realm of possibility. Either way, It's nothing we need to be concerned about. Navaid calibration is usually (but not limited to) more 'circles' in a smaller area than that shown above where they calibrate it from every direction.

Regards,
    Gregg
    Last edited by fungus; 2015-01-29 at 06:51.
    YSSY2/T-YSSY4 [SBS-1 Basestation w/- SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 Antenna (Thanks Delcomp) ] [Uniden UBCD996T w/- 16 element Wideband Discone VHF/UHF Antenna, and tuned 108MHz-137MHz Airband Antenna] [Trialing a home-brew 1090MHz collinear antenna]