No announcement yet.

AERIAL RECIEVING

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am running 2 sticks as well, one for ADS-B and other for radio reception... both made in and ordered from China, and no problem thus far. My installation poles here are earthed / direct grounded, so there should not be any static build up on the antenna. CRC: Not sure if your installation is earthed, as that could be the cause of ES build up on the antenna itself and then frying your dongle.
    Last edited by HermanZA; 2014-01-31, 23:42.

Comment

HermanZA: Could be - the poles are on the ridgeline of the roof - so there is no way to ground the pole itself. I agree this wouldn't make matters easy - however proper ESD in the device would still prevent issues....

EDIT: Thinking further, earthing the pole would only earth the coax sheath - not the centre conductor (otherwise the antenna wouldn't work!) but maybe its just enough to not damage the equipment....

Comment

have a look at the best antennas thread http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...1-best-antenna (sorry it is long) - some of the best antenna have a shorted 1/4 wave whip at the end or some shorted matching stub, that means the inner and the outer of the co-ax are shorted together as far as a DC voltage is concerned, though they are optimally tuned for the extraction of the desired signal.

Comment

Yeah... I've got another couple of RTL2328u based tuners on the way from China now... I've also sourced a local supplier of BAV99 protection diodes in case these tuners don't have them fitted (like my now dead ones). These ones use the newer R820T tuner - which may be better than the E4000 ones. Maybe. Time will tell when they get here...

Comment

Originally posted by CRC View Post
            Yeah... I've got another couple of RTL2328u based tuners on the way from China now... I've also sourced a local supplier of BAV99 protection diodes in case these tuners don't have them fitted (like my now dead ones). These ones use the newer R820T tuner - which may be better than the E4000 ones. Maybe. Time will tell when they get here...
            All the R820T ones I've brought on Ebay from China have the diode present, they have a radius edge on two sides of the case, and an mcx connector. All have the China Export logo not the EU CE mark as well.

John
            T-EGMC14 -- RTL2832U / R820T+ Raspberry Pi + Dump1090 with home made 8 element colinear 12m above ground level.

Comment

milair: Any chance of some photos?

Comment

milair: Any chance of some photos?
                Here you go, the diode is between the mark for C13 and the IR receiver diode (3 legs)

CIMG0393.jpgCIMG0394.jpg
                T-EGMC14 -- RTL2832U / R820T+ Raspberry Pi + Dump1090 with home made 8 element colinear 12m above ground level.

Comment

milair: Great, thanks! It looks like a BAV99 style diode. As I said, hopefully mine have those already fitted.. Otherwise I'll have to engineer them on there myself

Comment

milair: Great, thanks! It looks like a BAV99 style diode. As I said, hopefully mine have those already fitted.. Otherwise I'll have to engineer them on there myself
                    I've brought 5 units now from various Far East EBay sellers, all cost around £7, in fact the last two I got for £0.01 + £4.99 postage from Singapore !

If they look like the same as in the picture and come with a remote control and mag mount antenna they should hopefully be identical inside. I remove mine from the case, cut out the IR receiver sensor and mount it in a diecast box, with thermal gap pad between the bottom of the PCB and the box to dissipate heat. I then get a MCX to BNC pigtail cable on EBay and mount this to one side of the box. Lastly remove the USB plug and cut a standard USB cable to bare wires and solder to the pads where the USB plug was. I then remove the LED and extend the wires allowing it to be fitted in the case through a 3mm hole. A couple of metal brackets tapped M4 on the top with more thermal gap pad hold it all in place.

CIMG0396.jpg

Go on be brave !

John
                    Last edited by milair; 2014-02-03, 20:39.

Comment

Very nicely done, Milair! You can market those (at a slight profit!)

Comment

Originally posted by HermanZA View Post
                        Very nicely done, Milair! You can market those (at a slight profit!)
                        Thanks, but not possible I'm afraid as they are not legally CE marked, so if I sold these in UK or Europe I could be prosecuted under EU law. The fixing method is a bit of a bodge, so I would have to make something a bit better anyway

John

Comment

Working...
                        X