AERIAL RECIEVING

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AERIAL RECIEVING

Hi Guys. Is anybody using the Diamond D777 Aerial for receiving and if so any feedback on this item.
    [17:59:05] pinko: afraid not john

Diamond D777 Aerial question on forum
    Last edited by Amper; 2014-01-30, 18:39.
    For official support use Contact Form

Comment

Noggin: The D777 is designed for 120-300mHz (as per Diamond website http://www.diamond-ant.co.jp/english...ante_7rec.html ) and you want to receive signals at 1090mHz for ADS-B So it wont be as optimal at all. Rather look at building a cheap co-co/colliniar antenna.

Comment

Originally posted by HermanZA View Post
        Noggin: and you want to receive signals at 1090mHz for ADS-B
        He doesn't say that in his question. He just says "for receiving" (albeit he's spelled 'receiving' wrong in the thread header)

Comment

Has anyone used one of these: http://www.diamondantenna.net/d130j.html

I have one sitting on my roof at the moment without a radio hooked up to it... I'm thinking of making a splitter to be able to feed multiple DVB sticks off it.....

Comment

That antenna would be fine for ground to air and air to ground voice transmissions. Using multiple dongles would be ok for listening to several close by airports. Seems like the beam width of the antenna would make it directional and range is not a strong suit.

Experience is the best teacher, go for it and see if it suits your application.

John

T-RPVD1

Comment

Originally posted by HermanZA View Post
              Noggin: The D777 is designed for 120-300mHz (as per Diamond website http://www.diamond-ant.co.jp/english...ante_7rec.html ) and you want to receive signals at 1090mHz for ADS-B So it wont be as optimal at all. Rather look at building a cheap co-co/colliniar antenna.
              But the D555 just above it does both ?
              T-EGMC14 -- RTL2832U / R820T+ Raspberry Pi + Dump1090 with home made 8 element colinear 12m above ground level.

Comment

The D555 seems a good antenna. It has 5.5dB gain at 1090mHz (for ADS-B) but only 2.1dB gain at AirBand frequencies (120mHz)

D555: 120MHz air band /1090MHz Virtual radar (Receiving only)

Length:1.06m / Weight:130g
                Gain: 2.15dBi (120MHz), 5.5dBi (1090MHz)

Comment

Thanks for your reply John. I've been welding a bracket together today and laying the cable. So will let you know what its like when its up and running.
                  Noggin

Comment

Thanks Amper. Very helpfull. Was panicking thinking I had bought the wrong one and wasted my money.
                    Cheers
                    Noggin

Comment

Well, if you're using an RTL-SDR based device, make sure it has ESD protection fitted. I had mine on an external antenna for about a day and the tuner is now almost dead. It doesn't pick up anything but the strongest signals - and hasn't picked up an 1090MHz signal all morning. It seems outdoor antennas kill these things REALLY quickly if they don't have ESD protection (two of mine didn't - one E4000 tuner, one FC0013 tuner). Both are now paperweights...

Comment

i have rtl device with 2 outdoor (j-pole and co-co)antenna and works perfectly for 4 months now with no protection
                        Last edited by Amper; 2014-01-31, 22:40.

Comment

It depends on your device... As I said, *SOME* have them fitted, most don't. You may just be lucky. I've now fried two this week. A google for your type of stick + ESD will hopefully show if your device has ESD protection built in or not. Also try the keyword BAV99 (which is an ESD protection diode type).

Comment

2 in one week...hm....

My "made in china" 5$ dongle hardly has any protection.....don't even know what model it is...
                            Last edited by Amper; 2014-01-31, 23:11.

Comment

The ESD protection is a single component. It can be added on afterwards - but the spot for it is left blank in most tuners I've come across. You may be lucky and have one with the single ESD protection component installed on the board.

Comment

Working...
                              X