Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: AERIAL RECIEVING

Passenger
    milair: Any chance of some photos?

Purser
    Quote Originally Posted by CRC View Post
    milair: Any chance of some photos?
    Here you go, the diode is between the mark for C13 and the IR receiver diode (3 legs)

CIMG0393.jpgCIMG0394.jpg
    T-EGMC14 -- RTL2832U / R820T+ Raspberry Pi + Dump1090 with home made 8 element colinear 12m above ground level.

Passenger
    milair: Great, thanks! It looks like a BAV99 style diode. As I said, hopefully mine have those already fitted.. Otherwise I'll have to engineer them on there myself

Purser
    Quote Originally Posted by CRC View Post
    milair: Great, thanks! It looks like a BAV99 style diode. As I said, hopefully mine have those already fitted.. Otherwise I'll have to engineer them on there myself
    I've brought 5 units now from various Far East EBay sellers, all cost around £7, in fact the last two I got for £0.01 + £4.99 postage from Singapore !

If they look like the same as in the picture and come with a remote control and mag mount antenna they should hopefully be identical inside. I remove mine from the case, cut out the IR receiver sensor and mount it in a diecast box, with thermal gap pad between the bottom of the PCB and the box to dissipate heat. I then get a MCX to BNC pigtail cable on EBay and mount this to one side of the box. Lastly remove the USB plug and cut a standard USB cable to bare wires and solder to the pads where the USB plug was. I then remove the LED and extend the wires allowing it to be fitted in the case through a 3mm hole. A couple of metal brackets tapped M4 on the top with more thermal gap pad hold it all in place.

CIMG0396.jpg

Go on be brave !

John
    Last edited by milair; 2014-02-03 at 20:39.
    T-EGMC14 -- RTL2832U / R820T+ Raspberry Pi + Dump1090 with home made 8 element colinear 12m above ground level.

First officer
    Very nicely done, Milair! You can market those (at a slight profit!)

Purser
    Quote Originally Posted by HermanZA View Post
    Very nicely done, Milair! You can market those (at a slight profit!)
    Thanks, but not possible I'm afraid as they are not legally CE marked, so if I sold these in UK or Europe I could be prosecuted under EU law. The fixing method is a bit of a bodge, so I would have to make something a bit better anyway

John