Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AERIAL RECIEVING

Passenger
    Well, if you're using an RTL-SDR based device, make sure it has ESD protection fitted. I had mine on an external antenna for about a day and the tuner is now almost dead. It doesn't pick up anything but the strongest signals - and hasn't picked up an 1090MHz signal all morning. It seems outdoor antennas kill these things REALLY quickly if they don't have ESD protection (two of mine didn't - one E4000 tuner, one FC0013 tuner). Both are now paperweights...

i have rtl device with 2 outdoor (j-pole and co-co)antenna and works perfectly for 4 months now with no protection
    Last edited by Amper; 2014-01-31 at 22:40.

Passenger
    It depends on your device... As I said, *SOME* have them fitted, most don't. You may just be lucky. I've now fried two this week. A google for your type of stick + ESD will hopefully show if your device has ESD protection built in or not. Also try the keyword BAV99 (which is an ESD protection diode type).

2 in one week...hm....

My "made in china" 5$ dongle hardly has any protection.....don't even know what model it is...
    Last edited by Amper; 2014-01-31 at 23:11.

Passenger
    The ESD protection is a single component. It can be added on afterwards - but the spot for it is left blank in most tuners I've come across. You may be lucky and have one with the single ESD protection component installed on the board.

First officer
    I am running 2 sticks as well, one for ADS-B and other for radio reception... both made in and ordered from China, and no problem thus far. My installation poles here are earthed / direct grounded, so there should not be any static build up on the antenna. CRC: Not sure if your installation is earthed, as that could be the cause of ES build up on the antenna itself and then frying your dongle.
    Last edited by HermanZA; 2014-01-31 at 23:42.

Passenger
    HermanZA: Could be - the poles are on the ridgeline of the roof - so there is no way to ground the pole itself. I agree this wouldn't make matters easy - however proper ESD in the device would still prevent issues....

EDIT: Thinking further, earthing the pole would only earth the coax sheath - not the centre conductor (otherwise the antenna wouldn't work!) but maybe its just enough to not damage the equipment....

Captain
    have a look at the best antennas thread http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...1-best-antenna (sorry it is long) - some of the best antenna have a shorted 1/4 wave whip at the end or some shorted matching stub, that means the inner and the outer of the co-ax are shorted together as far as a DC voltage is concerned, though they are optimally tuned for the extraction of the desired signal.

Passenger
    Yeah... I've got another couple of RTL2328u based tuners on the way from China now... I've also sourced a local supplier of BAV99 protection diodes in case these tuners don't have them fitted (like my now dead ones). These ones use the newer R820T tuner - which may be better than the E4000 ones. Maybe. Time will tell when they get here...

Purser
    Quote Originally Posted by CRC View Post
    Yeah... I've got another couple of RTL2328u based tuners on the way from China now... I've also sourced a local supplier of BAV99 protection diodes in case these tuners don't have them fitted (like my now dead ones). These ones use the newer R820T tuner - which may be better than the E4000 ones. Maybe. Time will tell when they get here...
    All the R820T ones I've brought on Ebay from China have the diode present, they have a radius edge on two sides of the case, and an mcx connector. All have the China Export logo not the EU CE mark as well.

John
    T-EGMC14 -- RTL2832U / R820T+ Raspberry Pi + Dump1090 with home made 8 element colinear 12m above ground level.