Southwest Airlines Flight Lands At Wrong Airport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Southwest Airlines Flight Lands At Wrong Airport

A Southwest [passenger] Airlines flight from Chicago is under investigation after it landed at the wrong airport seven miles from its intended destination.

Incredible. Kind of corroborates my sneaking suspicion that the ancient art of Stupidity is on the rise

Comment

I guess those pilots are looking for a new job now.
      www.ADS-B.ca

Comment

The problem is the runway at the airport they landed at was short [for the aircraft] and ended with a 40' drop. Luckily they did stop the plane in time, nowadays everything is triple checked to eliminate luck if possible converting it to certainty.

Comment

How about the two Pilots that both fell asleep and flew right on past the airport LOL !

Two airline pilots fell asleep while cruising over Hawaii last February, flying past their destination toward open ocean for 18 minutes before waking up and returning for a safe landing, federal accident investigators revealed Tuesday.

Air-traffic controllers frantically radioed Go Airlines Flight 1002 from Honolulu to Hilo, Hawaii, for 18 minutes on Feb. 13, but got no response from the pilots, said NTSB investigator Jana Price.

NTSB, National Transportation Safety Board, pilots, pilot, airlines, aviation, flights, 2008, accident, crashes, fatigue, landing, front, regulators, fronts, metadata, Hawaii, cockpit, Air-traffic, captain, Jana Price, Article, 5042619
          www.ADS-B.ca

Comment

I am very familiar with this area and the airports. Runway orientation is very similar. The pilot had never been to Branson before, and the First Officer had only landed there once during the day, not after dark. The main airport KBBG is farther south of the town and semi-hidden by a large drop in terrain. When the pilots were inbound to Branson they called the tower and advised they had the airport in site and were cleared for a visual approach and landing. From the air, both would look similar at night, minus the runway length. Luckily the runway at KPLK was at least long enough to allow them to get stopped. Here are aerial photos of the two airports.

KBBG

KPLK

At night these would look pretty similar.

Comment

Originally posted by HighlyCool View Post
              I am very familiar with this area and the airports. Runway orientation is very similar.
              Do both airport runways have the same heading?
              www.ADS-B.ca

Comment

Originally posted by 1090 MHz View Post
                Do both airport runways have the same heading?
                Very similar. KBBG where they were supposed to land is 14/32, KPLK where they landed is 12/30, so only 20º difference.

Comment

I can see how confusing this must have been ... but these guys should have been much more aware.
                  www.ADS-B.ca

Comment

Originally posted by 1090 MHz View Post
                    I can see how confusing this must have been ... but these guys should have been much more aware.
                    Confusing, yes, but totally excusable, no. They were lucky it worked out, but could have been a really bad situation.

Comment

Working...
                    X