• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

T-CYXE5
    Saskatoon SK
    Online since April 2015
    4 kms northeast of CYXE

10 1/2 segment heliax collinear antenna (still indoors in 2 storey home)
    The antenna is based on member 1090mhz's superantenna design from his ads-b(dot)ca website (many thanks !!)
    R820T2-based RTL dongle
    Dump1090 on a Beaglebone Black
    Reliably 300km in most directions, 400+km to the west

Been experimenting with a variety of antennae for a couple of years and with now getting reliable results, am actively working on filters to reduce the overloading from the three cell phone towers I can see from the window, and from one of the local FM stations

Comment

Greetings from Victoria, BC

I have a station now operating with up to 450 km (225 n mi) range to the SE and about 350 km to the west out over the Pacific Ocean. The antenna is a colinear on a 15 metre high tower on a hill facing south.

Site is approximately 1/3rd of the way between C-YWH and C-YYJ. With C-YYJ over the hill to the north.

Rick (aka VE7TK)
      T-CYWH3

F-CYWH1 Southern tip of Vancouver Island

Comment

New FR24 receiver in Resolute, Canada area.
        ✈ Take a closer look at New Flightradar24 Receivers for the First Two Weeks of August—Tracking North, learn more about flight tracking and get the latest aviation news with Flightradar24.
        Brian

www.RadarSpotters.eu
        [ Feeder Station List ][ Map ][ Latest Feeders Rank Stats ][ ImRadarFeeder.com Radar Feeders WorldWide Map ][ VRS Feeder List ] (NEW)

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalBrian View Post
          New FR24 receiver in Resolute, Canada area.
          http://www.flightradar24.com/blog/ne...racking-north/
          Well that is impressive of FR24 to have a receiver up there! Resolute is one of Canada's northernmost communities and is also one of the coldest inhabited places in the world.

Gets down to -52 °C and their summer warm up makes it to only 7 °C. Population is around 250.

Here is Resolute, Canada
          www.ADS-B.ca

Comment

Nice little town!

The feeder code for that box is F-CYRB1
            Brian

www.RadarSpotters.eu
            [ Feeder Station List ][ Map ][ Latest Feeders Rank Stats ][ ImRadarFeeder.com Radar Feeders WorldWide Map ][ VRS Feeder List ] (NEW)

Comment

Hi, Rick! Ross here, T-CYWH1 in Sooke. I can get only 75 NM at the best of times (to Seattle). 3 element co-linear indoors. I'm on a hillside; very close to a cliff that shadows me tothe west and surrounded by wet (finally!) trees and power lines.

Comment

Originally posted by rpflib View Post
                Hi, Rick! Ross here, T-CYWH1 in Sooke. I can get only 75 NM at the best of times (to Seattle). 3 element co-linear indoors. I'm on a hillside; very close to a cliff that shadows me tothe west and surrounded by wet (finally!) trees and power lines.
                Hi Ross. I'm in Saanich near Beckwith Park.

I found that moving the antenna higher and adding a bandpass filter gave me some huge improvements. I also added a low noise amplifier but it's impact was less pronounced. If you want to discuss this off-list drop me a note at my Ham Radio callsign (see signature block) at yahoo dot ca.

Rick (aka VE7TK)
                Last edited by RicksRadio; 2015-09-04, 20:43.

Comment

Well today I received my FlightRadar24 receiver. As a result, T-CYWH3 is closed and F-CYWH1 is open for business.

The new receiver is using the same antenna, bandpass filter and LNA.

Rick
                  F-CYWH1

Comment

Good to have Resolute on the air. Big change in Aviation Navaids since I was there 52 years ago!

Comment

Good to have you on Rick!
                      Bill CYBR/VE4FT

Comment

Originally posted by p38p51 View Post
                        Good to have you on Rick!
                        Bill CYBR/VE4FT
                        Thanks Bill! By the way I was in Resolute, briefly, 49 years ago. You've got me beat!!

Rick (F-CYWH1)
                        VE7TK

Comment

Another Edmonton receiver here. Got the receiver up on the roof yesterday and 'am now awaiting its activation.

Talking with Fredrik (FR24), having three now around Edmonton will help MLAT quite a bit.

Cheers all,
                          Keehan - VA6KD

Edit: The receiver is up: F-CYXD2
                          Last edited by keehan; 2015-10-12, 15:51.

Comment

Hello all. Just received my receiver in the mail today.

F-CYQG1

Didn't take long to get it installed and running..just one question I didn't get much coax for the antenna. The antenna is not as high as I would like it to be and its mounted to the side of my tower, not in free space. Did anyone else has this issue.

I have good low loss feedline I can use but that would require using N to pl259 adapters, I really don't want to use those.

Just thought I would say hello.

Chris
                            Windsor, Ontario

Comment

You can specify 5m or 10m prior to shipment. There was someone else that I saw that used LMR-400 with adapters to make the run longer, but I think the FR24 folks would prefer to leave it at 10m max.

Comment

I have an email inquiry submitted to them. I will wait for their reply. It would be nice to get the antenna up a bit higher anyway

Comment

Working...
                                X