Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: CANADIAN FEEDERS

Flight attendant
    Thanks 1090---wonder what you use for co-ax--I thought there was a maximum length that could be used, wouldnt mind getting mine up a bit farther! Cheers.

Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by 1090 MHz View Post
    The Antenna is at about 45 feet above the ground. My geographic location is about 100 feet higher then that of CYYZ which puts the antenna up 150 feet over the airfield, allowing me great ground coverage of all of the runways.

Range is also good, tracking flights up to 500 Km away !

Attachment 3416
    Love your work! I often watch Toronto and F-CYYZ2 mostly seems to be the one on the job. Cheers.

Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by p38p51 View Post
    Thanks 1090---wonder what you use for co-ax--I thought there was a maximum length that could be used, wouldnt mind getting mine up a bit farther! Cheers.
    1090 uses LMR400 coax feeder, I believe the length limit is just down to how much signal loss there is between the antenna and the receiver - the LMR400 is a very good quality low loss cable

RG6 loses 6db / 100ft
    LMR400 loses about 4.1db over the same distance

Also be aware tight kinks and curves in the cable, and joints all cause signal loss.

Quote Originally Posted by airnrail View Post
    Love your work! I often watch Toronto and F-CYYZ2 mostly seems to be the one on the job. Cheers.
    Thanks, very happy to hear that from down under!

Yes the Coax I use and recommend is LMR-400. It has only a 1/4 the loss of Rg58 or H155 the provided cable with the FR24 kits.

Flight attendant
    Thanks peterhr and 1090, I will take a look at the LMR400 in the summer months. The temperature here at the moment is -36C and a wind chill of -50C so not good antenna working time! I would think someone that lived in a high rise would have an advantage
    as they are already at a good height! Nice to hear from airnrail also. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by p38p51 View Post
    Hope we can get some idea of the location of Canadian Feeders. I am located in Brandon MB F-CYBR1. Cheers/Bill
    Noted this thread only today.... I am feeder T-CYYZ9, located about 15 kms from Toronto International Airport (L.B. Pearson / CYYZ).

Flight attendant
    Thanks for checking in abcd567, good to hear from you, all the way from Brandon! Will install a new SD card in my FR24 receiver in a day or two as it hasnt been working all that well and they suspect the card required updating.

Passenger
    Hello all..

Just wanted to say that I am new to planeplotter, FlightRadar 24 and ADS-b decoding

I think is great...now I can see and listen to aircraft at the same time in the comforts of my shack.

I am sharing my data on the network ( CYQG1 ) and I am located in Windsor, Ontario..

In my proximity I have Windsor Airport ( CYQG ) Detroit City ( KDET ) Detroit Metro ( KDTW ) Wiilow Run ( KYIP ) and Selfridge ANGB ( KMTC ).

When the snow melts I would like to get a proper antenna for my receiver on the roof... just using a UHF vertical now...it works but I know there is better ...and using the RTL USB stick from ebay.

I am open to any suggestion that may allow me to get the most of this....

Thanks

Chris

Flight attendant
    Thanks for checking in Chris, seems to be a few Hams on FR24 which makes sense! I worked with FSS/Aeradio for a lot of years and at the end of our Weather Broadcasts we would say 'KEEP ALERT AND WATCH FOR OTHER AIRCRAFT----that may be a good FR24 Slogan!
    Cheers/73's
    Bill, Brandon, VE4FT, ex VE8FT, VE8QZ

Quote Originally Posted by ve3zo View Post
    Hello all..

Just wanted to say that I am new to planeplotter, FlightRadar 24 and ADS-b decoding

I think is great...now I can see and listen to aircraft at the same time in the comforts of my shack.

I am sharing my data on the network ( CYQG1 ) and I am located in Windsor, Ontario..

In my proximity I have Windsor Airport ( CYQG ) Detroit City ( KDET ) Detroit Metro ( KDTW ) Wiilow Run ( KYIP ) and Selfridge ANGB ( KMTC ).

When the snow melts I would like to get a proper antenna for my receiver on the roof... just using a UHF vertical now...it works but I know there is better ...and using the RTL USB stick from ebay.

I am open to any suggestion that may allow me to get the most of this....

Thanks

Chris
    Plese read post #431 (and also earlier/later posts) in this forum "best-antenna"
    http://forum.flightradar24.com/showthread.php?p=42510
    best antenna