No announcement yet.

Wish list item - Forum Private messages - send able after minimum # of posts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wish list item - Forum Private messages - send able after minimum # of posts

Please?

We see people posting where they shouldn't, we can't help them publicly since we would be committing the same crime.

We can't PM them because it's turned off.

This might help ... http://www.dragonbyte-tech.com/product/259-vbsuper-pms/

And it works on the version of VB used here

minimum 50 messages to PM someone (that should be sufficient to dissuade spammers) ... if possible let them reply to a PM with minimal messages.

Good idea,
    But there is the 'Chat' which the user you may want to contact might be on there..
    Dylan

Comment

Chat is more immediate - I find facilities like this often interrupt when doing other stuff that you need to get on with.
      PM is more akin to email in that it just sits awaiting reading ... for when the recipient has time.

Comment

When then the PM facility was there we used to get Spammers sending messages to other members on the Forum, maybe blocking links in the messages would stop the Spammers.
        Maybe also blocking new members from sending a PM until they have received a PM from an existing member, a sort activation PM would also deter Spammers.

Here is the thread about why PM's where blocked: http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...ging-dissabled

At the end of the day its up to Mike if he wants to modify the Private Messaging system, also due to some members who no longer visit the Forum, there would need to be warning / ban system in place for harnessing members by PM.
        Last edited by speedbird1960; 2013-12-13, 23:07.
        AMS Daily Fight Information: http://schiphol.dutchplanespotters.nl/

Comment

I'd be happy if non-fr24 links and images were blocked in PMs. From my experiece running forums, you can spot a spammer quickly - mainly because they cant be bothered to find the forum topic before making nonsense posts - hence the reason for requiring a number of posts before allowing PMs ... the spammers account gets killed before they reach that qualifying number.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk

Comment

As speedbird said, it's all down to Mike at the end of the day, I suggest you contact support@flightradar24.com for more assistance..

Comment

Originally posted by dylanjgrant View Post
              As speedbird said, it's all down to Mike at the end of the day, I suggest you contact support@flightradar24.com for more assistance..
              Absolutely - I have no doubt that this has been seen by the admins and either set aside as a 'will not do' or will be considered in a measured fashion later.

When they stopped the PMs due to misuse of the facility they were at a point where they had to do something quickly - the easy action was to withdraw the facility.

Comment

Yes they stopped the PM's because of spam, but I see that Hotmail is the most straight forward e-mail and by far the most subscribed to - perfect for spammers. Unless they ban hotmail accounts, or they make a question for people who know about aviation such as 'What's the diffrence between a 777 and A330. Otherwise, in all honesty I can't see another way around this, unless ALL users get the choice for PM's to be activated on their account.
                All the best

Comment

The suggestion was that the user had to have made a qualifying number of forum posts before they could send PMs. There arecwell thought out addons to the software used here that can enforce all sorts of rules to limit spammers before the become a PITA for everyone. They probably wouldn't reach the qualifying number of forum post before they got banned for spamming the forum space. Much ot the spamming is done by 'bots once thy have self registered here ... something that has already been brought under control.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk

Comment

But then if they're bots, they can spam the forum in seconds...

Comment

Working...
                    X