Page 52 of 109 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102 ... LastLast

Thread: Flightradar24 Feeder Chat

What decoding or tracking software are you using with your receiver?

Captain
    ADSBscope - runs on windows, collects data from your pi

but before tou do that go to heywhatsthat.com, ut in your location and how high up your antenna is. Click 'in the air' then set the altitude to 40000 and say 20000 - that will draw range rings showing what you might get (zoom out it's up to 600 miles across)

Passenger
    Quote Originally Posted by af4ex View Post
    > CET = Central European Time "server" time.

OK, just realized that FR24 out of Europe. Now it makes sense. Thanks.

One more question. Is there any way from your stats (or 3rd party tools) to compute the maximum extents of distance coverage from my feeder inputs? Or a plotting tool that aggregates inputs over a time period on a map?

I suppose I could write my own program to do this, but figured maybe somebody else has already done this.

Thanks,
    John/af4ex
    Virtual Radar Server can do this, turn on the Receiver range option and it will start to draw in the range areas in real time.

Passenger
    Quote Originally Posted by peterhr View Post
    ADSBscope - runs on windows, collects data from your pi

but before tou do that go to heywhatsthat.com, ut in your location and how high up your antenna is. Click 'in the air' then set the altitude to 40000 and say 20000 - that will draw range rings showing what you might get (zoom out it's up to 600 miles across)
    Could you give better instructions? That's a very confusing website.

Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by digiblur View Post
    Could you give better instructions? That's a very confusing website.
    I have done so in the past and will do some screenshots when I get time and access to the home pc.

from memory
    dump1090 parameter --net-ro-port 31001 sets the Pi up to talk to ADSBscope (it should already be done)

then have a look here http://bubbazanetti.blogspot.co.uk/2...iving-ads.html

(lots of people have done this, no need to re-invent)

it does really benefit you to set up a DHCP reservation for the Pi on your router ... so it always gets the same ip address - so you can always find it from your windows PC.

Passenger
    @digiblur
    > Virtual Radar Server can do this, turn on the Receiver range option
    > and it will start to draw in the range areas in real time.

That sounds like what I'm looking for. But my receiver is already set up as a dump1090 TCP:30003 server on a standalone RPi. Can I somehow connect VRS to my RPi, and let it collect and display the statistics it collects?

Super Moderator
    @digiblur

That sounds like what I'm looking for. But my receiver is already set up as a dump1090 TCP:30003 server on a standalone RPi. Can I somehow connect VRS to my RPi, and let it collect and display the statistics it collects?
    Most certainly. It asks for the data source, you tell it the Rpi IP address, done

Passenger
    FYI, I installed VRS and got it connected to my RPi server.
    rangemap.png
    Excellent! Just what I was looking for.
    Thanks,
    John/af4ex

Passenger
    @digiblur

Go download the software and point to the Pi, tinker around with it and if you still have issues let us know, we will walk you through it.

EDIT: I see you posted as I was typing. Excellent!!

Passenger
    FYI, I've been collecting data from my R820T/RPi receiver system using Virtual Radar Server now for about 18 hours now, and have been able to get a pretty good estimate of my reception pattern.
    2014-07-16 07_52_16-Virtual Radar (28) - Internet Explorer.png
    Although I have occasionally observed aircraft out to 200 miles in all major directions, this plot confirms that, on average, my effective range is only about 60-80 miles in most directions, except for the Northwest quadrant, which has the least obstructed view from my simple home-brewed ground plane antenna.

The antenna is currently mounted below the roof line on the Northeast corner of the house, so I was surprised that reception to the South doesn't seem much attenuated. But the view to the North and Northeast is mostly blocked by a forest of 60 ft pine trees, less than 100 ft away. It would seem that a grove of pine trees has roughly the same RF absorption as a 2-story stucco framed house. :-|

So this is my 'baseline' for making and comparing improvements. I plan to 1) build a collinear antenna 2) mount it a few feet above the eaves of the house and 3) insert a 20db satellite line amplifier at the base of the antenna.

The cable run to the receiver will still be less than 25 feet, so I'm expecting these improvements to enhance my coverage considerably. :-]

Tnx,
    John/af4ex