Flightradar24 Feeder Chat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by airnrail
    If I recall correctly, VBulletin on which this forum is based has a facility whereby deleted or moved posts leave a message in the original spot. Like many features available in the underlying software, it does not appear to be implemented here on FR24. For example, we also do not appear to have personal messages (PMs) between members or if we do I can't find it where it normally would be expected. However, we are blessed with some of the more useless features of VBulletin like rankings and signatures.
    Sigs - I like if it has something useful there - but is easy to misuse (advertising links, multi-line graphics of santa) ... saying that I have a link in my sig.

Rankings - Don't care (sorry captain).

It would also be nice if the forum software would pre-fill the members location (country) as they create their account, this can be done by lookup on the IP address of user (ip to location) ... user can always change what it says. This would be nice since the site is global and it helps 'tune' replies to queries.

Don't wait for the gold watch - it's really a chocolate coin wrapped in foil and only given on retirement (why waste money on someone who's no longer going to work for you) - bulk buy in the Christmas tree dept ... looks good on photos from a distance.

Comment

Originally posted by peterhr View Post
      Sigs - I like if it has something useful there - but is easy to misuse (advertising links, multi-line graphics of santa) ... saying that I have a link in my sig.

Rankings - Don't care (sorry captain).

It would also be nice if the forum software would pre-fill the members location (country) as they create their account, this can be done by lookup on the IP address of user (ip to location) ... user can always change what it says. This would be nice since the site is global and it helps 'tune' replies to queries.

Don't wait for the gold watch - it's really a chocolate coin wrapped in foil and only given on retirement (why waste money on someone who's no longer going to work for you) - bulk buy in the Christmas tree dept ... looks good on photos from a distance.
      Peter,
      some interesting thoughts re the forum for Mike and the others to 'chew' over. We have a similar feature to the IP you mention on the chat (which cant be altered by the user but is very helpful as you rightly say). As for the rankings- you mean to tell me I've waited around here all these years for a gold-wrapped choccy? Bummer! It might have looked nice on my old uniform. I've retired long ago in any case so I've missed the boat on that one and moderate on the chat (for free with triple pay on Sundays).

We used to also have a feeder in Tahiti (NTAA) for a short period but sadly that one is no longer active.

Regards,
      Gregg
      Last edited by fungus; 2013-12-15, 08:59.
      YSSY2/T-YSSY4 [SBS-1 Basestation w/- SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 Antenna (Thanks Delcomp) ] [Uniden UBCD996T w/- 16 element Wideband Discone VHF/UHF Antenna, and tuned 108MHz-137MHz Airband Antenna] [Trialing a home-brew 1090MHz collinear antenna]

Comment

I'm a new feeder (rather, I'm trying to be!) located at Kempsey. I've been allocated F-YPMQ1 (should be F-YKMP1 but that's another story) and despite seeing aircraft that FR doesn't display, my feed of those aircraft is not causing them to display in FR. There are many aircraft going through here that are high enough for Sydney, Williamtown and Brisbane to see and I understand those aircraft appearing on FR as being fed from one of the aformentioned locations but I don't understand why ac seen exclusively by me are not shown. For some detail; I'm using dump1090 with a DTV dongle running on a RPi. The antenna is homebrew coaxial dipole at about 4m (for now). I can see aircraft at 40000ft to near 300km and lots of "local traffic" at much lower ceilings, traffic with positional data in their beacons. I use v233, dynamically linked, and My Account shows my site as active. Linux tools iptraf and tcpdump both show udp packets going to the correct destination. Can anyone give me pointers as to what I might be missing? I've sent an email regarding this problem but thought I'd post here to take some weight off Mike.

Comment

If you infact are the only one seeing some of them and they are missing from the pubic global map at the time you check, check the GPS location in the feeder SW matches your actual. If it is too far out of range your data will be ignored as 'bad'
          Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
            If you infact are the only one seeing some of them and they are missing from the pubic global map at the time you check, check the GPS location in the feeder SW matches your actual. If it is too far out of range your data will be ignored as 'bad'
            Thanks Oblivian. Yes, I'm the only one seeing some of the ac. I did wonder if the location of YPMQ being 40km away from here had any bearing on the problem. I specify Lat & Long in dump1090 to correctly position its server display map (on port 8080) for local viewing. Apart from that I don't specify Lat/Long anywhere else. I can easily disable those parameters for a test. I also wondered about the time difference bewteen the RPi (which is set to UTC and displays correctly with the date command) and the time shown in My Account which is one hour ahead of UTC. I concluded the time in the latter is the FR server location time.

Regards,
            Ray
            vk2tv

Comment

The FR24 Feed SW should also display your GPS location. Its how they filter out bad data When it knocks on the server door with your ID settings you specified when signing up (GPS needed to be verified at that point) it knows where you are meant to be and ignors anything outside that

Did you verify location when you signed up? try loading the windows SW with your login details and see
              Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

The FR24 Feed SW should also display your GPS location. Its how they filter out bad data When it knocks on the server door with your ID settings you specified when signing up (GPS needed to be verified at that point) it knows where you are meant to be and ignors anything outside that

Did you verify location when you signed up? try loading the windows SW with your login details and see
                Checked with Windoze and the figures have been rounded to three decimal places but otherwise are correct and I'm in the correct hemisphere - 31.083S/152.848E

I looked at the command line options with --help and there is no option for Lat and Long. Should I add them with --Lat and --Long?

Thanks for the suggestions

Regards,
                Ray
                vk2tv

Comment

Originally posted by vk2tv View Post
                  Checked with Windoze and the figures have been rounded to three decimal places but otherwise are correct and I'm in the correct hemisphere - 31.083S/152.848E

I looked at the command line options with --help and there is no option for Lat and Long. Should I add them with --Lat and --Long?

Thanks for the suggestions

Regards,
                  Ray
                  vk2tv
                  Ok, I started the FR software with --latitude=-31.083 --longitude=152.848 and it started without errors but still no display of local aircraft.

Comment

Ah Ha!

I guess you're using the Linux feeder? (the latitude longitude parameters seem to be ignored on that version)

Do you have an FR24 upload key, yet? - The instructions for the linux feeder say to contact FR24 to get them to allocate you a key,
                    ... but if you have a windows PC - you can get the widows feeder software - point it at your linux machine dump1090 / RTL software whatever (make sure the linux firewall is open on the 30003) then use the windows software to do do the registration and to get a key.

Use the key granted to the feeder on the windows machine on the linux machine ... once the linux machine is running, you don't need the feeder software on windows anymore.

Have a look at the first few posts in this thread http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...e-to-feed-FR24 ... it may not match your setup, but there should be many clues.
                    Last edited by peterhr; 2013-12-16, 07:27.

Comment

Afternoon all

Great idea Speedbird looking forward to seeing if this can make a difference
                      mick001/F-EIDW1

Comment

Ah Ha!

I guess you're using the Linux feeder? (the latitude longitude parameters seem to be ignored on that version)

Do you have an FR24 upload key, yet? - The instructions for the linux feeder say to contact FR24 to get them to allocate you a key,
                        ... but if you have a windows PC - you can get the widows feeder software - point it at your linux machine dump1090 / RTL software whatever (make sure the linux firewall is open on the 30003) then use the windows software to do do the registration and to get a key.

Use the key granted to the feeder on the windows machine on the linux machine ... once the linux machine is running, you don't need the feeder software on windows anymore.

Have a look at the first few posts in this thread http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...e-to-feed-FR24 ... it may not match your setup, but there should be many clues.
                        Thanks peterhr.

Yep, using the Linux feeder, dynamically linked version, on a RPi. I "guessed" that lat and long were not required because running --help didn't show them as options and yes, I have a sharing key. My status is shown as active and the FR site reports my last data time. I've just restarted the software because it bombed out overnight. The time difference reported at start=up was 2mS so time difference isn't an issue. I time sync to the au ntp pool but run in UTC.

I've used the Windoze version to confirm my Lat and Long are correct.

I checked out your data and although my rc.adsb script is different it achieves the same thing. One difference is that I start both dump1090 and the FR software in screen sessions to facilitate inspecting the running processes in terminals. I don't know if it's significant, and it's certainly something I'll try, but your script runs the statically linked version of FR24 whilst I run the dynamically linked version. I'll check that out today.

Mike replied to my email enquiry with these suggestions - "It's possible that your local data is being rejected by the server for some reason. For example they are short message bursts. Or your time stamps are invalid." I think I can rule out the time stamps being invalid (with a 2mS difference) but I'm not sure about "short message bursts". If Mike means the data from the aircraft, it is the same (transmitted) data as being received by feeders whose data is displayed. An aircraft travelling over here from, say, Sydney will appear on FR untill it falls below the Sydney feeder's radio horizon. I can track that aircraft for at least 200km of its journey from Sydney but my data, once I'm the only feeder, is not displayed. I can only presume I'm sending the same data as the Sydney feeder. I can inspect my own outgoing udp packets with tcpdump but I have no way of comparing that data with data from another feeder. iptraf reports udp packets of different lengths, presumeably in sync with the number of aircraft in each packet.

The search continues <grin>

Regards
                        Ray
                        VK2TV

Comment

You have run something like planeplotter or virtualradar/adsbscope with network options to trap the outgoing data and make sure its in the correct format I take it? If you can't see it there the uploader certainly won't I don't just mean view the data in a list, but an actual plot made from decoding the AVR output.

Comment

I'd try using the windoz feeder (running off dump1090 on the pi), see if that shows on fr24 page ... if it does, then the linux feeder iscthe problem.
                            Did you try running dump1090 with the --net switch then look at the pi port 8080 from a web browser.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk

Comment

You have run something like planeplotter or virtualradar/adsbscope with network options to trap the outgoing data and make sure its in the correct format I take it? If you can't see it there the uploader certainly won't I don't just mean view the data in a list, but an actual plot made from decoding the AVR output.
                              Thanks for the suggestion but I run Linux exclusively and access to a Windoze computer on which I can install programs is difficult to impossible. Doesn't matter now, see next reply below.

Comment

I'd try using the windoz feeder (running off dump1090 on the pi), see if that shows on fr24 page ... if it does, then the linux feeder iscthe problem.
                                Did you try running dump1090 with the --net switch then look at the pi port 8080 from a web browser.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk
                                Since yesterday a new site R2765 has appeared and it does what I was trying to do so anymore effort by me is redundant.

Thanks to all for help and suggestions.

Regards,
                                Ray
                                VK2TV
                                Last edited by vk2tv; 2013-12-17, 01:27. Reason: Typo

Comment

Working...
                                X