Flightradar24 Feeder Chat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Anmer View Post
    I think you'll find that MLAT is used as a lower cost alternative to traditional secondary surveillance radar. I've never seen any evidence that it is more accurate than ADS-B but am happy to be proven wrong.
    About 4 months ago there was a big ATC outage in Europe. About 10 aircraft were lost from ATC screens over central Europe. We have discussed this issue with Eurocontrol afterwards and compared our data. Eurocontrol told us that they track the traffic with a MLAT system were 12+ MLAT receivers are needed to verify the position. Reason why they used MLAT to track ADS-B aircraft was that they told it gives better accuracy.

A GPS receiver needs 3-4 GPS satellites to calculate it's position with an accuracy of couple of meters. More satellites give better accuracy down to centimeters. With MLAT you have the same. 3-4 receivers are needed to calculate a position of the tracked aircraft and every extra receiver increases the quality of the calculation. At some point the data will become very accurate. Eurocontrol defines this point at 12+ receivers.

Originally posted by Anmer View Post
    I appreciate FR24 has become a major player in flight tracking and cannot investigate every reported issue but maybe it should look at some, if only to identify why there's a mismatch between the local data and that shown on FR24.
    As I have written a couple of times now, we don't use the first data. This is not a bug, this is intentional design. We need to verify that data is correct before we use/show it. If someone reports "my early data was not used" this is exactly what we expect and want it to be. Why should we investigate something that behaves as expected? What should we look for?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post
      Reason why they used MLAT to track ADS-B aircraft was that they told it gives better accuracy.
      If MLAT were more accurate than ADS-B, why is ADS-B the preferred choice for most aviation authorities? I watch FR24 MLAT plots for my area showing aircraft approaching my location that have already passed overhead. And trust me, after nearly 10 years using Mode-S receivers, I know where aircraft actually are in relation to your map.

Originally posted by Mike View Post
      What we should look for?
      That's for you to decide.

All I'm suggesting is that, sometimes, some further research may be beneficial.

I used to be a financial auditor and a small discrepancy could be caused by many bigger ones. But, as I've said before, it's your business and if you're 100% satisfied that FR24 isn't ignoring usable data we can move on. Personally, if I were seeing tracked aircraft from my local receiver which are not shown on FR24, I would be interested to know why.
      Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

• Originally posted by Anmer View Post
        If MLAT were more accurate than ADS-B, why is ADS-B the preferred choice for most aviation authorities? I watch FR24 MLAT plots for my area showing aircraft approaching my location that have already passed overhead. And trust me, after nearly 10 years using Mode-S receivers, I know where aircraft actually are in relation to your map.
        A lot of ADS-B installations are being done right now, yes. But AFAIK only Australia is beginning to use ADS-B for ATC on higher altitudes, with very big delays. 2 years after ADS-B becoming mandatory there are still aircraft without ADS-B. FAA is alarming that 37% of US aircraft are sending incorrect position on ADS-B. Eurocontrol has postponed European ADS-B. So I don't see ADS-B taking over in the near future. More and more discussions now mentions MLAT instead, for example FAA.

The delay on FR24 is because FR24 is waiting up to 20 seconds for MLAT feeds with slow internet. That has nothing to do with the accuracy of MLAT. A fast network with low latency can have MLAT plots with just 1-2 seconds delay.

Originally posted by Anmer View Post
        That's for you to decide.

All I'm suggesting is that, sometimes, some further research may be beneficial.

I used to be a financial auditor and a small discrepancy could be caused by many bigger ones. But, as I've said before, it's your business and if you're 100% satisfied that FR24 isn't ignoring usable data we can move on. Personally, if I were seeing tracked aircraft from my local receiver which are not shown on FR24, I would be interested to know why.
        And we are satisfied with the behavior right now. We are not saying we will not tweak the values in the future, but we don't see any bugs from expected behavior, from the reports we get.

Comment

• I understand you guys want this problem solved. I would like too.
          But I think Mike is trying to say that between two evils, they choose less one.
          And I agree with him....this time.
          It was pain in the *ss to see plane, that i know is on the rwy (GND), shown in the middle of Adriatic sea turning arround himself....
          I believe that, in time, this problem that you are reporting, and I see it as well, will be solved in the near future when coverage is even more improved.
          Last edited by Amper; 2014-10-27, 09:47.
          For official support use Contact Form

Comment

The first and last data is often the the source for many errors as signal is weak. If altitude is missing what says that position is correct?
            This is a very common when a DVB-T stick feeds with some software https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5175572/error1.PNG
            You get a first position 100km from the airport and then your suggestion " is the position reported reasonable for the aircraft (by make and model, flying at that altitude) compared to prior positions reported." or "whats the square of the maximum distance it could have travelled ... is the position given within that range?" fails as first position was wrong and you would never get back to correct location again.
            Yes I see what you mean, but if that data was retained - even if not plotted - maybe it could be used to statistically increase the confidence in other data received.

something like
            feed (a) says this aircraft is at position long(1), lat(1) - we have only 50% confidence that this is correct (so will not plot it) - but we will remember it in short term memory for verification purposes.
            feed (b) says this aircraft is at position long(2), lat(2) - we have only 50% confidence that this is correct (so will not plot it)

just let it be a sliding time window - non-plotted data over - say - 2 mins old, is discarded ... certainly for the initial position ... that would take care of never being able to plot the plane again

but the feed (b) data does corroborate with the feed (a) data (bearing in mind they may be seconds apart) - increasing the confidence that both are correct to 75% - this could be over the threshold to allow it to be plotted.

Taking possible positions into account based on last known position and time difference would also filter the jagged lines where a bad radar sends duff data (though I've not seen that for a while)

Please see this as a constructive suggestion.

Comment

If aircraft disappear then there is no coverage. No coverage is not a bug.
              Mike,

Your responses clearly indicate that you haven't bothered (for whatever reason) to have a look at the issue I've raised. It's NOT about 'NO COVERAGE'. There is acres of coverage in the Sydney area (both ground and airside), so it's actually just the opposite. It's simply a matter of using playback for each of the examples I've quoted and you'll see it's about aircraft that SHOULD be displaying on FR24 but AREN'T. As has been picked up by some of the guys already on this thread, I'M TRYING TO HELP.

I'll give you a hint. I think one of the 'F' feeders is interfering with the data being placed on the map and preventing it from being displayed correctly.

You obviously aren't getting it but- I can only lead you to the water- you'll have to do the drinking yourself.

I went to the trouble of cropping each image I posted so you had the date and UTC time to verify what's going on. I dont know what more I can do but this is just a bloody ridiculous way to handle an issue reported with the map. You're doing a great job of making me feel like it isn't worth the trouble to let you know about issues with FR24. As you are aware I've got a disability and it takes a great deal of effort on my part to do so. To be so dismissive is nothing short of insulting.

Try listening to a bloke with a little local knowledge and quite a few years of tracking flights around the Sydney area. One day this issue, if not nipped in the bud, may be something far more of a serious problem for you to deal with if it is occurring, or begins to occur, across the board. For God's sake Mike, look at this with an open mind, if that's at all possible. I'm going back to bed.

Regards,
              Gregg
              Last edited by fungus; 2014-10-27, 21:01.
              YSSY2/T-YSSY4 [SBS-1 Basestation w/- SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 Antenna (Thanks Delcomp) ] [Uniden UBCD996T w/- 16 element Wideband Discone VHF/UHF Antenna, and tuned 108MHz-137MHz Airband Antenna] [Trialing a home-brew 1090MHz collinear antenna]

Comment

• Fungus, I read what you write but as I said we can't do anything without the raw data that was picked up by the receiver. Playback does not say what was picked up, if it was processed or how it was processed. I can only note that the aircraft was not visible. Without the raw data I can only speculate.
                * It was flying below coverage
                * Transponder was off
                * Transponder was sending crap that was not possible to decode
                I checked some other trackers and could not find that flight as well. If you want to blame FR24 for that I leave it up to you.

Comment

Fungus, I read what you write but as I said we can't do anything without the raw data that was picked up by the receiver. Playback does not say what was picked up, if it was processed or how it was processed. I can only note that the aircraft was not visible. Without the raw data I can only speculate.
                  * It was flying below coverage
                  * Transponder was off
                  * Transponder was sending crap that was not possible to decode
                  I checked some other trackers and could not find that flight as well. If you want to blame FR24 for that I leave it up to you.
                  Mike,

At the risk of once again repeating myself, at least two of the flights were being displayed clearly on my receiver at the time they weren't on the map. It's not the aircraft or 'bad data'. I can only report what I'm seeing (and not seeing on the map). I've checked all my pockets and I don't have the raw data. If the issue spreads, don't blame me.

I've done more than I can humanly do to alert you to the issue. BTW, are you seriously suggesting that when some bloke reports an issue with the map that it cant be checked or verified?

Gregg
                  Last edited by fungus; 2014-10-27, 21:49.
                  YSSY2/T-YSSY4 [SBS-1 Basestation w/- SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 Antenna (Thanks Delcomp) ] [Uniden UBCD996T w/- 16 element Wideband Discone VHF/UHF Antenna, and tuned 108MHz-137MHz Airband Antenna] [Trialing a home-brew 1090MHz collinear antenna]

Comment

• Fungus, Like I wrote I read what you write but without the raw data we can't do anything. About 1% of the received data is uploaded to FR24 and about 1% of the uploaded data is saved. So we drop about 99,99% of the data. Analyzing something where 99.99% of the data is gone, or like in this case where we have 0 data, is completely impossible no matter how much time we spend on it or which experts we use. If we wanted to upload all the data that is transmitted most feeders would need to upgrade their internet accounts and we would probably need to get thousands of new servers. That is not possible. When we are looking for errors we normally save the raw data from one receiver for 10-20-30 minutes and analyse it until we find the problem, but we will never upload all radio data from all receivers 24/7.

F-feeders have a cache in the receiver where last 1-5 hours of data is stored in the memory of the receiver and where we can download the data afterwards for analysis if we are fast before the data gets overwritten.

Just to give an example to make it easier to understand.

* Someone writes a text of 1000 words in English - (the radio signal)
                    * Next person translate it to French - (decoding of the data/signal from 00100110101011000100101101011011000001011010111011 10111010010101111101 to 33.000 feet)
                    * Next person write a summary of the French text with 10 words - (upload to FR24)
                    * Next person write a one word title to the 10 word summary - (this is the data FR24 save)
                    * The original English text, the French translation and the 10 word summary are thrown away - (this is the data FR24 is not receiving or not saving)
                    * 2 days later someone claims that the 1 word title is incorrect and demands that someone who has not read the original text make an analysis of the original text based on the 1 word title.

Comment

• Mike,

Simple solution to all that gobbledygook. Check what's happening around SYD at this time (it's the original English); In the meantime I'll go and find a brick wall and bash my head against it for a while-it would be simpler for me.

.... and the clear message from admin here is- If anyone should notice anything peculiar, unusual or out of place with the map, DON'T TELL FR24, WE DON'T WANT TO KNOW.

Gregg
                      Last edited by fungus; 2014-10-31, 03:38.

Comment

• Hello Friends,

This is my first time in the forum. I would like to participate and set up receivers, my locations are:

Maracaibo, Zulia, Venezuela (SVMC)
                        El Vigía, Mérida, Venezuela (SVVG)

I was reading about equipments and all the process, however, I would like to have a guide about how to set up and start sending information to Flight Radar.

Thanks for your information,

Regards,

Alirio

Comment

• Originally posted by aliriocastro View Post
                          Hello Friends,

This is my first time in the forum. I would like to participate and set up receivers, my locations are:

I was reading about equipments and all the process, however, I would like to have a guide about how to set up and start sending information to Flight Radar.

Regards,

Alirio
                          Hello Alirio,
                          Welcome to this Forum!

Did you completed the receiver request to the FR24 team?

The location near SVVG will be great for FR24, because there is no good coverage from my receiver located in the Costa Oriental del Lago, cause the Andean mountains blocks my coverage to the south.

Let me know if you need any help.
                          Marco-Luis
                          YV1HX
                          F-SVMC1

http://twitter.com/meteoven
                          http://yv1hx.no-ip.org
                          http://www.meteoven.org

Comment

Hello Friends,

Regards,

Alirio
                            Hello Alirio,

Like you friend YV1HX, I assume you put in a request to host FR24 kit? Once you application is approved they will send a pdf document to your email, it is quite simple to get it set up.

If you wish to have your own set up, the cheap and easy way is to feed via a R820T dongle connected to a rpi. Peterhr has kindly documented everything here : http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...ll=1#post37114

You will of course need to get an antenna and a suitable length coax cable and a pigtail of some sort to connect it to the dongle which is a MCX connection. Getting a good antenna at a good location will help you detect more planes. By good location it means a location with good line of sight, normally higher about your roof and not many high rise buildings or tress close to you.

You can have a look at this website http://shop.jetvision.de/ for an idea of prices, but I am sure you can get it elsewhere if you wish. As for antenna there is also a DIY thread at the technical matters thread if you wish to refer to.

Hope this helps.
                            Last edited by North Borneo Radar; 2014-11-01, 23:31.

Comment

• Originally posted by YV1HX View Post
                              Hello Alirio,
                              Welcome to this Forum!

Did you completed the receiver request to the FR24 team?

The location near SVVG will be great for FR24, because there is no good coverage from my receiver located in the Costa Oriental del Lago, cause the Andean mountains blocks my coverage to the south.

Let me know if you need any help.
                              Hello,

I haven't requested anything. I just checked out some receivers and their costs. Which one do you have in the COL?, I live close from SVVG.

Is there anyway I could contact you beside this forum, so you could help me to try to set up receivers to increase coverage in this zone.

Thanks,

Alirio.

Comment

Hello,

I haven't requested anything. I just checked out some receivers and their costs. Which one do you have in the COL?, I live close from SVVG.

Is there anyway I could contact you beside this forum, so you could help me to try to set up receivers to increase coverage in this zone.

Thanks,

Alirio.
                                Worth a go to apply the free kit. FR24 will access whether your location is suitable, it takes 7-365 days though to know whether you get approved. Please follow this link : http://www.flightradar24.com/free-ads-b-equipment/

Comment

Working...
                                X