No announcement yet.

Flightradar24 Feeder Chat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My box is some 25m away (outdoor) from the apartment.
    Box is placed in outdoor weatherproof electrical box (see the pic.)
    kutija.gif

I use 25m CAT5 cable+ electrical cable to supply the box.

No problem with that config.

When summer comes, i will monitor the temp. and act if needed with some kind of cooler. But in my area, I think shade will be enough.

EDIT:

We have same temp. then
    For official support use Contact Form

Comment

• Originally posted by Amper View Post
      When summer comes, i will monitor the temp. and act if needed with some kind of cooler. But in my area, I think shade will be enough.
      Actually we monitor the temperature of all FR24 receivers as well

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post
        Actually we monitor the temperature of all FR24 receivers as well
        I believe you do but:
        Don't take away my pleasure Mike!

Comment

My box is some 25m away (outdoor) from the apartment.
          Box is placed in outdoor weatherproof electrical box (see the pic.)
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]3464[/ATTACH]

I use 25m CAT5 cable+ electrical cable to supply the box.

No problem with that config.

EDIT:

We have same temp. then
          I think the box is too big for its size. It needs to be clamped to the mast too. Anyway it would be a pleasure if you can show me how you arranged the hardware inside. I might follow the same idea with smaller junction box if possible. There would be no shade when its mast-clamped. The sun reflection on the roof will also add heat to the box.

It's kinda odd the temp reading now registering 49.1 C when they are close to 27 C.

Anyway, I am pleased to announce that F-RPMZ1 has just reached 150nm of flight coverage Southeast using A461 airway at 37,000 ft. F-RPMB1 takes over at that point.

Not bad for a bamboo pole.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zamboanga Radar View Post
            I think the box is too big for its size. It needs to be clamped to the mast too. Anyway it would be a pleasure if you can show me how you arranged the hardware inside. I might follow the same idea with smaller junction box if possible. There would be no shade when its mast-clamped. The sun reflection on the roof will also add heat to the box.

It's kinda odd the temp reading now registering 49.1 C when they are close to 27 C.

Anyway, I am pleased to announce that F-RPMZ1 has just reached 150nm of flight coverage Southeast using A461 airway at 37,000 ft. F-RPMB1 takes over at that point.

Not bad for a bamboo pole.
            It's not too big- just enough to fit the box and power supply socket inside

It has mounting holes for mounting

That is unit temp. Unit is small pc and difference is normal

I will post pic tomorow

Comment

• Good Show Mate!

Originally posted by Zamboanga Radar View Post
              Its standing on a bamboo pole thus the ( / ). I'll try to correct that position into ( l ) by Saturday. The mast itself is 12 meters long. The outdoor box would probably float close to 3 meters high from the roof platform. Almost beyond my reach. With that obtained permission, I will try to look for good outdoor boxes to house the receiver in the mast, and I also need to buy 20 meters of Ethernet cable to connect to the router. I guess Cat 5 will also work perfectly as well. And perhaps 10 meters of electrical wire. Lets see what we can do.
              Glad to see your package arrived, I was worried. The system for Davao is still missing.

This is my setup here but my farm setup is like yours, leaning bamboo.

We are neighbors, I'm in Dumaguete. If you would like to network with the other F-RRXX1 and T-RPXX neighbors look at this post and I will put you in contact with them. http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...4911#post44911

John

F-RPVD1

Comment

Hello World!

This is Zamboanga calling. And my first post. Patterned my name from a similar fellow down south.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3462[/ATTACH]
                Actually installed this two days ago. And my mast were too high for the supplied coax. If FR24 permit me to expose the hardware to the elements then I should be glad to climb the antenna further.

Took me two days to figure it out from my busy time.

cheers
                Nice to see the pictures and how it is set up. Will be interesting to see how the box performs in the heat test (still not as toasty as parts of Australia) and also the other, wind test - typhoon or gusts, which is common at your area.

A NEMA type box would be the best, but since you need to mount it, I suppose the best is for you to have a look around at electrical shops to see what choices you have. Better not mount it so high that you cannot see the LEDs which gives you an idea of whether things are working properly. Your range to the south east (150 degree, those planes from HK/China to Sydney) is quite good, it is not continuous position reports as there is some lost and the signal regained at a further range(around 200++NM) which I am a bit puzzled but I am sure with you getting the mast sorted things ?should improve. I hope your range would be good towards the Sulu Seas. If possible, save a bit to get a good low loss coax in the future? if you are willing anyway if you don't want to it's ok.

All the best for Saturday! Thanks for your efforts!

note: my bad.. the a/c is picked up again by F-RPMB1 after a brief lost in contact! not yours.. observation error. Ground traffic shown! nice!
                Last edited by North Borneo Radar; 2014-03-07, 04:12. Reason: grammar

Comment

• The antenna just broke the 200nm + threshold. By just standing at the bamboo pole. I'm impressed.

ezd187.JPG

Comment

The antenna just broke the 200nm + threshold. By just standing at the bamboo pole. I'm impressed.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3471[/ATTACH]
                    Nice... will keep an eye on your range time to time. Height is key to ads-b receiving.

Comment

• Originally posted by North Borneo Radar View Post
                      Better not mount it so high that you cannot see the LEDs which gives you an idea of whether things are working properly.
                      You don't need to see LED's to have an idea of whether things are working properly.
                      In box status page you have all info+log. Just type box IP in your browser
                      Last time I saw LED's was early november last year.(box received in october)

So, mount the box as much as you need to have good anntena position!
                      Last edited by Amper; 2014-03-07, 08:46.

Comment

You don't need to see LED's to have an idea of whether things are working properly.
                        In box status page you have all info+log. Just type box IP in your browser
                        Last time I saw LED's was early november last year.(box received in october)

So, mount the box as much as you need to have good anntena position!
                        well... I don't own one. So it's up to you Zamboanga radar really after amper's post.

Comment

• I think I'd prefer replace the downlead with a longer one made of high quality cable and put the box somewhere accessible.

Could someone 'in the know' make up a you tube with a shopping list of what to get and how to make the cable up - preferably without soldering and without needing crimp tools (so if the user messed up the person can try again and the connectors can be re-used). If someone has the wherewithal to install a 5m+ mast with guy wires etc. - the cost of a downlead should be affordable.

Comment

• Two very good cables that are available (but a bit expensive) are Ecoflex 10 and Ecoflex 15

There are solderless connectors available for both Ecoflex 10 and 15.

It took me 4-5 mounts to learn how to attach the connector correctly.

Comment

• On the FR24 box there is nothing you can do after you connect everything. Only thing you can do is turn power off and for that I have power swich in my office room.
                              Box is still accesible in case of emergency (it never happened so far)
                              Don't think that,in my case, 45m, of any low loss cable is acceptable.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post
                                Two very good cables that are available (but a bit expensive) are Ecoflex 10 and Ecoflex 15

There are solderless connectors available for both Ecoflex 10 and 15.

It took me 4-5 mounts to learn how to attach the connector correctly.
                                The h155 cable supplied has an attenuation of about 3 db per 10 meters and the 5 meter length 1/2 that at 1090 mhz. If the supplied PCB antenna had a theoretical gain of 5 db or less it would be quickly be nullified by the attenuation of additional coax.

The LEDs on the receiver are mainly window dressing because the display can be recreated in the software that produces the receiver status page and also the historical frame decode rate.

Things that are built in to the receiver are the possibility of providing 5 vdc at the mini-USB port by another adapter instead of using the supplied adapter or using the UTP cable for runs of less than 50 meters but if the UTP is exposed to sun light, it has to be painted to reduce UV damage and the resulting deterioration.

Any AC power provided at the receiver location is better than using the UTP power scheme since AC conductors require smaller wire than DC for the same current carrying capacity. From FR24s perspective, maintaining the receiver portability and using a certified CE/UL etc power supply avoids unnecessary regulation expense and cost.

Ideally, the UTP and AC wiring could be hidden within the capped mast eliminating UV damage to the insulation and mounting the receiver in a weather proof enclosure 5 to 10 meters from the antenna. Placing the receiver 5 meters down the mast is probably best since the supplied GPS coax is 5 meters long and would allow the mounting of the GPS sensor at antenna level.

Don't worry about documented temperature readings. These monitor a component or an assembly within the receiver not the ambient around the receiver case and are of use only to the engineers at FR24 not the hoster. Additional receiver information is here

The FR24 system is Industrial Grade engineering and should work years upon years if acceptable practices are used in its installation.

A given fact is that your local rules and regulations take precedence and should apply where ever you are.

John

F-RPVD1
                                T-RPVD1
                                Last edited by paradiselost; 2014-03-08, 02:22.

Comment

Working...
                                X