Flightradar24 Feeder Chat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ressy View Post
    As to 500ms latency, most aussie carriers favour all intl traffic by the U.S. it helps the U.S. NSA a lot, but not those of us in Asia Pac region from communicating to each other at decent latency.

terrorists only need take out 2 landing points (I wont say where but most know anyway) and aus internet is 98% gone, because of our tier 1's fascination of only using the US as our gateway, even to Europe, even to India its by the U.S... go figure

So expect high latency to AU. especially from Asia and Europe, with only one or two carriers providing a direct link into Asia ( even then, its not all of Asia *sigh*)
    Eastern states (including SA and NT) go via the US but in Western Australia has links to Europe via Asia.
    F-YSWG1 and T-YSWG2

Comment

• Originally posted by YSWG View Post
      Eastern states (including SA and NT) go via the US but in Western Australia has links to Europe via Asia.
      Yes, hence why I said 98% but the capacity on SEA-ME-WE3 cable is very small, so if we lost east coast, the countries I'net would grind to a halt, there is Satellite con as well, but again its bandwith is very limited too.

I have long been a proponent of increasing capacity on SEA-ME-WE3 cable, and having it widely used, it's still shorter path going Brisbane to Germany, or Italy, or even France and other EU Nations and certainly shorted going to India etc.

I guess they get discounted access in the U.S. courtesy of the NSA (well it is a requirement in contract that U.S. spooks have access at the U.S. landing points , I know this is fact with Telstra, so no doubt all others are the same).

Comment

• I understand the reasons given for no map however - if we knew the areas covered we could discuss with nearby feeders any issues that might improve coverage. As an example, as a HAM I have access to antennas and equipment that "might" be able to improve coverage into a certain sector. Also if coverage is adequate I might be less inclined to fuss over the last few miles of reception. Finally as a pilot I have friends who may consider hosting in sectors where coverage is sparse - if we knew where that was. I don't think exact locations are needed and privacy can be maintained by just showing areas of coverage. I guess it boils down to how much effort everyone wants to put into their own area.
        Just my opinion - K5LEH San Antonio

Comment

• Originally posted by K5LEH View Post
          I understand the reasons given for no map however - if we knew the areas covered we could discuss with nearby feeders any issues that might improve coverage. As an example, as a HAM I have access to antennas and equipment that "might" be able to improve coverage into a certain sector. Also if coverage is adequate I might be less inclined to fuss over the last few miles of reception. Finally as a pilot I have friends who may consider hosting in sectors where coverage is sparse - if we knew where that was. I don't think exact locations are needed and privacy can be maintained by just showing areas of coverage. I guess it boils down to how much effort everyone wants to put into their own area.
          Regarding coverage map there other problems. The biggest problem is that coverage changes with altitude. So you can have perfect coverage on FL400 and no coverage on FL100. Also coverage is different for ADS-B and MLAT. And finally coverage changes all the time. FR24 coverage is not static like GSM coverage map. Thousands of users are connecting and disconnecting every day, which makes coverage very dynamic. So plotting dynamic coverage that is different for different transponders and different for different altitudes becomes really complex.

By looking on an area for some time gives quite good sense for coverage looks like in an area. We always recommend users to apply for a free receiver, and if coverage is needed in an area we will send the equipment.

Comment

• Here is the latest coverage map experiment based on tracked flights last 8 days.

1. It does not make any difference on altitude.
            2. It does not distinguish ADS-B from MLAT.
            3. It does not reflect that in some areas many receivers are off 8-16h per day.
            4. It does not give any indications that coverage often is very bad in for example Nice, France.
            5. On other hand it indicates that 50% of Sweden is missing coverage, which is not true. There is very good coverage, but not so many flights.
            6. Shows perfect coverage in Montreal, but there is no MLAT coverage in Montreal.
            7. Does not show any coverage over Greenland, because of "wrong" winds last week.

So watching the live map, still remains the best option to check coverage.

Comment

we could discuss with nearby feeders any issues that might improve coverage. I guess it boils down to how much effort everyone wants to put into their own area.
              Another key factor being once again neglected..

Count the number of active posters here who are also feeders to which everyone keeps proposing to engage. If only about 20% of the receiver hosters out there actually ever contribute to the forum (which I suspect is likely the case), it's pointless. Not everyone out there hosting is also message forum savvy outside of using facebook, and visit ONLY flightradar24.com and clicking 'send me free stuff links' without ever looking at the social links at the top of the page.

The best you can expect is a thread that gains interest from those who wish to go to the effort of signing up and contributing. Much like the New Zealand and Australian thread. And most the threads today.
              Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post
                Here is the latest coverage map experiment based on tracked flights last 8 days.

1. It does not make any difference on altitude.
                2. It does not distinguish ADS-B from MLAT.
                3. It does not reflect that in some areas many receivers are off 8-16h per day.
                4. It does not give any indications that coverage often is very bad in for example Nice, France.
                5. On other hand it indicates that 50% of Sweden is missing coverage, which is not true. There is very good coverage, but not so many flights.
                6. Shows perfect coverage in Montreal, but there is no MLAT coverage in Montreal.
                7. Does not show any coverage over Greenland, because of "wrong" winds last week.

So watching the live map, still remains the best option to check coverage.
                Couldn't agree more with the underlined statement.

For example in China where feeders can pop up and go missing in a short while, looking at live map reflects the actual coverage of that particular time. It is the best to determine how good is the coverage there, and whether it is 24/7.

Comment

• I have noticed That F-RPLL3 is not showing up.

Is it really offline or is it online?
                  Ice
                  F-RPLL3

Comment

• Is there any way to drill down on this map? Texas would be nice.
                    And thanks to all who are filling in my lack of understanding on this subject.

Comment

• Feeded all day, but my Radar just appeared a few seconds today -.- Yesterday it was not shown all day*sigh*
                      Regards,
                      T-EDDE7

Debian 8 Server | jetvision ADS-B USB Dongle | ADS-B Collinear Antenna
                      Banana Pi | Mystique SDR R820T2 | stock Antenna

Comment

• Originally posted by equi View Post
                        Feeded all day, but my Radar just appeared a few seconds today -.- Yesterday it was not shown all day*sigh*
                        Tell me how you did it! I have been feeding since yesterday but they say they can't see it. My firewall shows outgoing and incoming packets. I tried port forwarding and pass through. This is very frustrating!!

Comment

• I set a filter on "Radar" (in this case its T-EDDE15) and I also check my Feeders Page - ignore Thu - Sat, I killed my DVB-T stick while I was trying to install a new Antenna *sigh*

stats_120314.png
                          Regards,
                          T-EDDE7

Comment

Tell me how you did it! I have been feeding since yesterday but they say they can't see it. !
                            What type of receiver are you using and what feeding application?
                            Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

• Personally I use Dump1090 and the FR24 Feeder Software for the RPI (I use the Banana Pi).
                              Regards,
                              T-EDDE7

Comment

Working...
                              X