FR24 box- GPS data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FR24 box- GPS data

I noticed that the GPS data do not change when you change the position of the antenna. In my case, I raised the some antenna for 10m, but FR24 box continues to read 70m, although that's not the height at which it was located before.
    It seems to me that the receiver does not read position continuously, but remembers the starting position.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Amper; 2013-12-12, 23:47.
    For official support use Contact Form

Originally posted by Amper View Post
    I noticed that the GPS data do not change when you change the position of the antenna. In my case, I raised the some antenna for 10m, but FR24 box continues to read 70m, although that's not the height at which it was located before.
    It seems to me that the receiver does not read position continuously, but remembers the starting position.
    I cant pretend to be an expert on that particular issue, but it looks to be the elevation of your position above sea level, not the elevation of the antenna. I'll stand corrected though.

Regards,
    Gregg
    YSSY2/T-YSSY4 [SBS-1 Basestation w/- SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 Antenna (Thanks Delcomp) ] [Uniden UBCD996T w/- 16 element Wideband Discone VHF/UHF Antenna, and tuned 108MHz-137MHz Airband Antenna] [Trialing a home-brew 1090MHz collinear antenna]

Comment

it should be elevation of gps antenna, or am I wrong?

Comment

I have asked the same question in private. Height is not important for MLAT and is not used. "The GPS is used for timing, the altitude is not important."
        If you wait long enough, the height will update though.

And of course this is the height of the GPS antenna (not the ADS-B antenna).
        59.9m [AMSL] = Height above mean sea level (AMSL)
        Last edited by Jarod; 2013-12-13, 01:28.

Comment

it should be elevation of gps antenna?
          Yes, correct.

Comment

then i think my gps part is not working correctly

Comment

Originally posted by Jarod View Post
              I have asked the same question in private. Height is not important for MLAT and is not used. "The GPS is used for timing, the altitude is not important."
              If you wait long enough, the height will update though.

And of course this is the height of the GPS antenna (not the ADS-B antenna).
              59.9m [AMSL] = Height above mean sea level (AMSL)
              I always wonder just what that means, does it take into account that the planet is an oblate spheroid rather than being a perfect sphere and that the oceans do get drawn to areas where the gravity is higher (think Himalayas) and possibly where oceanic currents pile up against the shore line before changing direction...

Comment

Thanks for clearing that one up guys. It seems there are two antennas- GPS antenna and ADS-B antenna. The GPS antenna sends (or is supposed to) the elevation data.

Regards,
                Gregg
                YSSY2/T-YSSY4 [SBS-1 Basestation w/- SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 Antenna (Thanks Delcomp) ] [Uniden UBCD996T w/- 16 element Wideband Discone VHF/UHF Antenna, and tuned 108MHz-137MHz Airband Antenna] [Trialing a home-brew 1090MHz collinear antenna]

Comment

Hi,
                  How do you get the GPS info from your premium account? I clicked on More info, and it only shows the co ordinates, not the height or temp.

Thanks in advance

Comment

There is no info in premium.
                    Type IP of your FR24box in your browser and there it is,all info you need.

Comment

I just want to comment the GPS Altitude and Temp data accuracy.

GPS is very good for giving a good location on a mpa, but it has not been optimized for calculating altitudes. In some cases you can get quite good values in other cases worse values. Don't care so much about this value.

Temperature value is not the temperate around the receiver but somewhere near the processor (CPU).

Comment

@ Mike
                        Is what is the min & max operating temp. of the box.
                        Is there overheating protection?
                        My box is outdoor mounted in protective case and I need to know should I install fan before summer comes?

Comment

i think if you look at the GPS information (if its the same as a radarcape thinking different firmware), its a 0D fix it might only checking long and lat values (if at all after initial fix hence 0D) it is purely interested in the time from the GPS and the 1PPS clock, I dont think much else is used.

The GPS is almost purely been used for time stamping the information as it arrives to the FR24 receiver, that information could then take many seconds to get to the FR24 server but when it's processed it accurate. Reality is because of the way the FR24 receivers are working it takes less time to get to them than say software via your PC.

This is especially important for accurate MLAT locations as any information that comes from FR24 receivers will have effectively to the fraction of a second the same time reference.
                          Last edited by SpaxmoidJAm; 2013-12-31, 10:06.
                          T-EGLF8

Comment

@ Mike
                            Is what is the min & max operating temp. of the box.
                            Is there overheating protection?
                            My box is outdoor mounted in protective case and I need to know should I install fan before summer comes?
                            We don't know exactly but we are running it outdoor in all temperatures from Iceland to Dubai without any known issues.

Comment

Working...
                            X