Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 34

Thread: RadarCape Launched

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Captain Birdie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Changi Airport
    Posts
    645

    RadarCape Launched

    F-WSSS1 - Cats refused to Pee & Pooh on RadarBox - Running a FR24 Receiver & DVB-T Dongle 24/7 to piss off The Chief Thief.

  2. #2
    Captain
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    FR24 Feeder
    Posts
    1,232
    Some more info on this page.

    The Mode-S Beast 2nd Generation: "Radarcape"
    http://www.modesbeast.com/radarcape.html

    Wiki
    http://wiki.modesbeast.com/Radarcape:Contents

  3. #3
    First officer
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Farnborough, UK
    Posts
    204
    ooooohh been waiting for this

  4. #4
    First officer 1090 MHz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    F-CYYZ2
    Posts
    386
    So it's basically the same hardware as a FR24 ... but a little different in the software.

    Wow 708.05 € ... had no idea this stuff cost that much.

  5. #5
    Flight attendant eddm_muc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    near EDDM
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by 1090 MHz View Post
    So it's basically the same hardware as a FR24 ... but a little different in the software.
    Wow 708.05 € ... had no idea this stuff cost that much.
    not more expensive than the sbs3 (box only is 624.75 € incl. 19% VAT) the price you quote includes the antenna and all cables..and it includes German VAT (19%).
    Last edited by eddm_muc; 2013-12-31 at 10:53.

  6. #6
    Captain
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Dudley area, UK
    Posts
    1,410
    Quote Originally Posted by eddm_muc View Post
    not more expensive than the sbs3 (box only is 624.75 € incl. 19% VAT) the price you quote includes the antenna and all cables..and it includes German VAT (19%).
    Maybe not, but when the mode-s beast launched there were just two motorised vehicles, you had a choice of the Mercedes (Modes S Beast) or the BMW (Airnav box) and that was about it, now there is a plethora of mopeds painted in different colours, they don't go quite as fast or have quite the same range on a tank full of fuel - but they cost so much less and will transport the family.

    There will still be some people that will buy the Merc - but the cheap competition has changed the market.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by peterhr View Post
    Maybe not, but when the mode-s beast launched there were just two motorised vehicles, you had a choice of the Mercedes (Modes S Beast) or the BMW (Airnav box).
    There were more than two, including the first and most established receiver from Kinetic Avionics, the SBS-1/3 family which, like the RadarBox, included proprietary tracking and mapping software. The Beast and Radarcape do not ship with proprietary software.

    And the newly launched Kinetic Puck is now available, with software, for under GBP £250.

  8. #8
    Captain
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Dudley area, UK
    Posts
    1,410
    Quote Originally Posted by FR24support View Post
    There were more than two, including the first and most established receiver from Kinetic Avionics, the SBS-1/3 family which, like the RadarBox, included proprietary tracking and mapping software. The Beast and Radarcape do not ship with proprietary software.

    And the newly launched Kinetic Puck is now available, with software, for under GBP £250.
    but (for systems using non-proprietary software) there are low cost dongle based solutions available that did not exist before...

    that said there was the micro ADSB [usb stick] receiver but that was still is a big step up in price.

  9. #9
    First officer
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Farnborough, UK
    Posts
    204
    I imagine before to long you will be able to get it kit form, so if your prepared to source and set up your own beagle bone board already have a aerial/existing set-up that you will be able to buy the cape(the actual bit that does the work) on its own for a lot less

  10. #10
    Captain
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Dudley area, UK
    Posts
    1,410
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaxmoidJAm View Post
    I imagine before to long you will be able to get it kit form, so if your prepared to source and set up your own beagle bone board already have a aerial/existing set-up that you will be able to buy the cape(the actual bit that does the work) on its own for a lot less
    You would need a lot of software from modesbeast.com to interface to the Radarcape module - the interface to beagle bone is very specific and the cape can't be used without it especially since the beagle bone acts as a software suppository for the radarcape firmware.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •