No announcement yet.

Polar Plots..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

220nm seems quite good to me? Any other comments on that distance?

Comment

Sometimes I see contacts at over 300 miles when my max is usually less.

In my opinion after many years in radio the options are:

1) it's a software glitch/data corruption either here, at FR24, or on the aircraft
      2) some form of transient propagation
      3) your antenna is extremely high or you're on a mountain :-)
      4) the ISS has an ADSB transponder on it :-)
      4) aliens are at it again :-)

At the frequencies involved I suggest it is either meteor scatter or ducting. MS is going to be very brief so you will see long distances only for a very short time. MS at 1GHz would be most unusual if not impossible with the ERP in use. 50MHz would be an optimum frequency, far away from 1GHz. If it's ducting it may last for minutes to hours. Look at the weather map and see if there is any possibility of an inversion layer. The possibility of ducting is more likely in my humble opinion.

TTFN

Originally posted by vu2pmc View Post
      Hi,
      I feed F-VOCL1, and the maximum distance I can get is about 220nm. I have put up the antenna on a GI mast 6 m high, on a two storied building, but hardly 30 ft above msl. I live on the coast. What is your antenna height and QTH setup?

73's
      de
      VU2PMC

Comment

Hi,
        Coverage at my QTH is constantly about 220nm (max 250nm) to 360 degrees. I consider that is a normal situation.
        The antenna is approximately 150m AMSL. Coaxial cable is 12m long, good quality (H1000).

73 de adi - yo2bt

untitled.JPG
        All the best from Adi - YO2BT - F-LRAR1

Comment

VU2PMC.. My ADS-B antenna is only 20' high..and my QTH is about 1000M ASL. That 311nm was 'one rare occurence' ! At 1Ghz..there are several factors that could come into play on Rx..as 'Radiosutch stated; it could be just a glitch as well' ! I am switching out the FR24 supplied feed line with LMR-400 (had to build a 'pig tail' so I don't destroy the lil SMA !) and will do a 7 day average of each. Also, this spring I am planning on phasing 3 or 4 yagis and see what their 7 day average becomes..'could be interesting experiment' ! A little over 200nm is probably my average at the present ! Nice to see so many 'Ham Op Calls' in responses as well ! 73
          Jerry VE6CPP
          F-CYQL1
          Originally posted by vu2pmc View Post
          Hi,
          I feed F-VOCL1, and the maximum distance I can get is about 220nm. I have put up the antenna on a GI mast 6 m high, on a two storied building, but hardly 30 ft above msl. I live on the coast. What is your antenna height and QTH setup?

73's
          de
          VU2PMC

Comment

We had a 'Cold Front' come thru Sat night..and I awoke to -30c and 110Km North Winds and drifting snow..and a 'Polar Plot' that looked like this ! So Wx could play a factor as well I guess ! Distances were down to 100nm..or 'Less' !

fegggafg.png

Comment

Wait 5 minutes and you will have a Chinook roarin' through Jerry. This is dumb on my part, but I really dont understand the Polar Plots (PP)--they look nice but can't say I really have them figured out yet! I am about 1000 ft ASL, guess that would be about 300M or so. I may post mine and you
              can give me some info on it. Cheers/Bill 4FT

Here's mine: What can you tell me about it--Thanks.
              ishot-3619.jpg
              Last edited by p38p51; 2013-12-29, 15:27.

Comment

Very good propagation today in 30cm ... 329nm!

73 de adi - yo2bt

untitled.JPG
                Last edited by yo2bt; 2013-12-29, 23:52.
                All the best from Adi - YO2BT - F-LRAR1

Comment

Happy New Year Bill ! Not completely sure re; Polar Plots..whether just 'one ping' from an Aircraft is recorded at say 204nm..or ? At 45deg(NE) on yours, as well as 90deg(E) you are showing 'just about the 200nm Range'. I seem to show more AC at 200+ to the W and NW..but I never see them as being tracked by F-CYQL1..so I am thinking as long as my Rx picks them up somewhere along their flight path in that AZ..it is Recorded in the stat's..but I could be wrong ! Yes, we did have a 'Chinook blow thru'..melted all the snow just in time for the next blizzard to blow thru ! Today is -10c..Thursday supposed to be +7c..and Friday -7c..'short lived Chinook'..but you don't have to 'shovel wind' as we say in these parts ! All the Best of the New Year to 'You and Yours'..
                  Jerry
                  F-CYQL1
                  Originally posted by p38p51 View Post
                  Wait 5 minutes and you will have a Chinook roarin' through Jerry. This is dumb on my part, but I really dont understand the Polar Plots (PP)--they look nice but can't say I really have them figured out yet! I am about 1000 ft ASL, guess that would be about 300M or so. I may post mine and you
                  can give me some info on it. Cheers/Bill 4FT

Here's mine: What can you tell me about it--Thanks.
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]3126[/ATTACH]

Comment

What does the heavy blue line indicate?

Comment

Originally posted by Alcra View Post
                      What does the heavy blue line indicate?
                      That is the 'Maximum Distance' Logged by the Polar Plot !
                      VE6CPP

Comment

Thank you. How do I ascertain the distance my new rig is reaching from that plot?

Comment

Originally posted by Alcra View Post
                          Thank you. How do I ascertain the distance my new rig is reaching from that plot?
                          Move your mouse over the blue line and a hover box will show the max range achieved on each "spoke".
                          Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

Excellent thank you

Comment

Originally posted by VE6CPP View Post
                              That is the 'Maximum Distance' Logged by the Polar Plot !
                              VE6CPP
                              Hi - Can anyone help explain how I would have 'Positions Reported' blocks coloured red out to a range >200nm but the blue range ring is no higher than say 75nm in any given direction. This happens every day. It would seem to make sense to me that all the red blocks should be inside the blue range ring?
                              I would post an image but I can't yet cos I am new, so hopefully my explanation is OK!
                              Thanks in advance for any help

Max

Comment

Hi, the red shaded blocks are the volume of 'HITS' the Antenna has received, the thick blue line with Compass Points are the furthest distance any of those signals have been received.

If you hold the cursor over a shaded red block, it will show the number of hits - the darker the shade, the more hits.
                                If you hold your cursor over the Compass Point on the Blue Line, it will show the furthest distance received in that direction.

The depth of the red shading is NOT an exact indication of distance.

If you play with the range settings (>200nm / 200nm / 100nm/ 50nm ) by selecting or deselecting distances, it will give you a better perspective.
                                If life is a stage, most of us are unrehearsed...!

Comment

Working...
                                X