Only 2 Aussie B717s now without ADS-B

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only 2 Aussie B717s now without ADS-B

QantasLink (actually Cobham as contractor) are the only Oz operator of this type. The airline has 13 in operation and have just purchased another five that will be the first in Australia to have a two class cabin and will be used mainly on flights to Canberra and Hobart. The first, VH-YQS starts the Brisbane - Canberra run in November.

B717s are not noted for being visible on FR24 as they were not factory equipped with the ADS-B equipment. Given that all aircraft flying above 29000 ft in Australia must be so equipped by December this year, 11 of the 13 are now visible with VH-NXO and VH-NXQ being the only two still invisible.

What a pity QantasLink's (and everybody else's) numerous Dash 8s don't have to be equipped for another few years. The Dash 8 is one of the hardest types to see on FR24 - I think I've only ever spotted a couple over Canada where, if I recall correctly, they are built.

FR24 will not be able to get MLAT all around Australia, but Melbourne to Brisbane should have MLAT within 2-3 months.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
      FR24 will not be able to get MLAT all around Australia, but Melbourne to Brisbane should have MLAT within 2-3 months.
      Great news! Plenty of aircraft here for that. Qantaslink Dash8's, Brindabella Jetstreams, Rex Saabs (they arent all equipped with ads-b) etc just to name a few. Then there's the RAAF base at Richmond nearby.

Regards,
      Gregg
      Last edited by fungus; 2013-10-14, 08:08.
      YSSY2/T-YSSY4 [SBS-1 Basestation w/- SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 Antenna (Thanks Delcomp) ] [Uniden UBCD996T w/- 16 element Wideband Discone VHF/UHF Antenna, and tuned 108MHz-137MHz Airband Antenna] [Trialing a home-brew 1090MHz collinear antenna]

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
        Understand the limitations but great news indeed as MEL-SYD-BNE is one of the busiest air routes anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by airnrail View Post

B717s are not noted for being visible on FR24 as they were not factory equipped with the ADS-B equipment. Given that all aircraft flying above 29000 ft in Australia must be so equipped by December this year, 11 of the 13 are now visible with VH-NXO and VH-NXQ being the only two still invisible.

Antique B717 still flying in Australia - oh my god !

One of the popular star has a B707 parked in his backyard in USA.
          F-WSSS1 - Cats refused to Pee & Pooh on RadarBox - Running a FR24 Receiver & DVB-T Dongle 24/7 to piss off The Chief Thief.

Comment

B717 is not so old. It's the Boeing name of the McDonnell Douglas MD-95 aircraft. We have several flying for SAS up here in Scandinavia as well. They were produced between 1998–2006 so they are far newer than MD8x so I guess they will keep flying for another 5-10 years.

Comment

QantasLink's 14th B717 (VH-YQS) has taken to the air recently operating services between Canberra and the three eastern mainland capitals. It and several more additional B727s are being re-configured to economy and business classes. VH-YQS is ADS-B equipped.

Comment

With the return to service of VH-NXQ after a major overhaul, all QantasLink B717s are now ADS-B equipped.

PS The only Qantas aircraft not equipped are the Dash8s and as far as I know not a single one of the 49 in service has ADS-B and probably will not have it until it becomes mandatory for that class in a few years.
                Last edited by airnrail; 2014-03-02, 07:22.

Comment

Working...
                X