Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Making an inexpensive 1090MHz ADS-B collinear antenna

Passenger

the length of the cable

Quote Originally Posted by T-RPVD2@Siquijor View Post
    Here is the performance graph of my almost costless colinear 10 element antenna made from RG59 cable ends.The cable setting is occupied in a leftover 3/4 inch PVC water pipe and my device is a RTL 1090 DVB-T dongle from China.The RG59 cable costs about 1 $.The two ends of the pipe are sealed with epoxi.
    The antenna is held in place by a "tripod" made from two leftover 1 inch PE pipes and one 3/4 PVC electrical conduit.Each end of a pipe has a PVC T-piece,glued with epoxi to the pipes.Roof anchors are 6 Tek screws with welded rings on top made of 5mm GI wire.The T-pieces fit between two rings.To give a hold 6 short pcs.of PVC pipes are sticked through the GI rings into each end of a T-piece.And thats it.
    Attachment 2702
    how much the length of the cable you used from bottom of the antenna up to the usb dongle

ADS-B Collinear 1090Mhz antenna ...

Greetings all.

I am considering building a 12 element ads-b collinear 1090mhz antenna so I've been looking online for suitable instructions

Just as an exercise, I decided to have a look on ebay to see if there were any suitable 'ready built' units, and I can across one in particular on ebay, but it appears to have 3 radial elements sticking out horizontally from the base

The question I have is this; on all of the 'instructions' I've found thus far, none mention anything about adding any radial horizontal elements, so I'm wondering what the purpose of these elements is ? If anyone knows the answer to this, I'd be very interested in a 'heads up' on the answer.

Thanks in advance.
    Qui Custodiet Ipsos Custodes ?????

Flight attendant
    Here is a link with inexpensive antennas from one of the gurus in the forum
    https://forum.flightradar24.com/thre...-FOR-BEGINNERS
    Last edited by Dutchyb; 2019-07-03 at 14:46.

Captain
    Might make reception better with fewer elements, not sure.

Advantage of not having them is that you can weatherpoof the antenna much easier.
    It's definitely not required.

Greetings,

Many thanks for taking the time to reply. Yes, I came across these instructions on a couple of other sites but also found this article which I thought was very interesting : "Coaxial Collinear Antenna for ADS-B Receiver by Dusan Balara" (balarad.net/)

It's author sounded very authoritive and also made no mention about horizontal elements. Having contacted him, he also confirms that these elements are not necessary ... so I think I shall be following the instructions on this site and will build a 12 element antenna and see how it goes then at some point I may then try the Cantenna and Spider designs to see how they stack up against one another.

Thanks for taking the time to reply/comment.

From what I read, it appears that you can go as far as 18 elements, but 12 seems to be about the optimum as going beyond this figure does seem to produce any further improvements in reception. Anyway, I shall give it a go with 12 and see how it performs.