Raspberry Pi type B + DVB-T Dongle to feed FR24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Scroggie, welcome aboard!
    I am new born to RPi, just got my FIRST RPi a week ago. Although I have used linux, but not an expert, and forgot most of it due to disuse. Whatever I have posted in forum is result of my few days of efforts to setup my Pi to feed adsb data. I searched the web, asked questuons in forums, and now my Pi is up & running, with NOOBS/Raspbian, dump1090, DVB-T dongle & whip antenna which came with the dongle.

I have not yet installed any data feeding client to FR24 or any other site. That is phase 2 of my Pi project.

I faced the same problem as you: Typing 127.0.0.1:8080 in browser did not show the google map with planes. I searched the web and finally found answer below:
    cd dump1090
    ./dump1090 --interactive --net --net-http-port 8080

and http://127.0.0.1:8080 started showing google map & planes, both at raspi's browser and from my Windows Desktop browser through LAN. I dont understand why it worked with me, and not with you.

I have just now installed PiAware on my 2nd microSD card, and configured it to feed dada to Flight Aware, and it is going well. Shows google map & planes locally by http:168.x.x.x (dont remember exact numbers, i am away from home, typing this from my phone). Tomorrow I will try to install FR24 data client on both the NOOBS/Raspbian & PiAware.
    Last edited by abcd567; 2015-01-19, 23:16.

Comment

• maybe you can ask a friend to host your hardware on his rooftop.
      i will do soon, because my location sucks. I live in a valley...

Comment

• Originally posted by STR_EDDS View Post
        maybe you can ask a friend to host your hardware on his rooftop.
        i will do soon, because my location sucks. I live in a valley...
        I live in an apartment 60ft/20m above ground level. The antenna is located in an area of apartment surrounded on 3 sides by large glass windows, non openable like an airplane window, but far too large, from ceiling to floor, full width of wall. This gives me a coverage of about 230 degrees, balance 130 degrees blocked by my building. Wthin this 230 degrees there are many high rise buldings which block signsls from aircraft, causing sharp spike like dips in my range plot.

Unfortunately none of my friends living in a house are willing to house my antenna & hardware on their roof top. For them all this adsb thing is nonsense.

Comment

• If you only use "--net-http-port 8080" without "--net" nothing happens, only "--net" activates the network/webinterface from dump1090. However, "--interactive" isn't really necessary because it only displays the ADSB Feed on your Terminal and uses some resources of your Pi (your Pi's don't have much resources)
          Regards,
          T-EDDE7

Debian 8 Server | jetvision ADS-B USB Dongle | ADS-B Collinear Antenna
          Banana Pi | Mystique SDR R820T2 | stock Antenna

Comment

• Scroggie, each device is 127.0.0.1 for himself. That means that you can access the pi from the pi (ONLY) via 127.0.0.1. The same happens with your PC, and other devices.
            I would investigate the 192.168.0.41, maybe you have DHCP enabled and the pi changed his address, in the meantime.

Comment

• @Scroggie
              @ab cd

Your problem with the web interface. See here http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...ll=1#post62047
              T-EGUB1

Comment

• Dear All
                after having my Pi running for months uninterrupted as feeder, suddenly stopped in January. But now after some reading trough the forum is back online.
                Now, i have a question, and a search did not show up any usable answer(hopefully i'm not falling here) : Would the FR24 feeder work on a raspberry pi Type A too?
                did somebody try that out? thank you

Comment

• I have been feeding data to FR24 since 2013, using my Windows Desktop & DVB-T Receiver.

Couple of days ago I purchased Raspberry Pi B+, and installed on it PiAware img, a package consisting of Raspbian OS+Dump1090 (or some other decoder)+Flightaware Data feeder.

Today I installed FR24 Data feeder software fr24feed_1.0.11-3_armhf.deb on my RPi B+.
                  After completing the installations as per FR24 instruction manual, I gave command "service fr24feed status". Following is displayed

Code:
                  pi@piaware ~ $ service fr24feed status
                  [ ok ] FR24 Feeder/Decoder Process: running.
                  [ ok ] FR24 Stats Timestamp: 2015-01-21 17:46:02.
                  [ ok ] FR24 Link: connected [UDP].
                  [ ok ] FR24 Radar: T-CYYZ9.
                  [ ok ] FR24 Tracked AC:.
                  [[COLOR="#FF0000"][B]FAIL[/B][/COLOR]] Receiver: down ... [COLOR="#FF0000"][B]failed[/B][/COLOR]!
                  I checked Dump1090's display on my Desktop's web browser by typing "http://<IP address of RPI on LAN DHCP/NAT>:8080", and it started displaying Google Map & Planes. The receiver is NOT down but FR24 feeder is showing it down!!!

Piaware Dump1090.PNG
                  Last edited by abcd567; 2015-01-21, 18:06. Reason: Dump1090 screenshot added, re run "service fr24feed status"

Comment

• Image for Raspberry PI B+

Dear peterhr,

I am trying to install raspbian_wheezy_20130923.img in Raspberry PI B+. Its not working i think. In this thread, you told new image will release soon. Can i get a link for it ?

Thanks & Regards,
                    Zahidul Hasan
                    T-VGHS1

Originally posted by peterhr View Post
                    See post #8, it has been continuously updated with what is required. It links to a PDF of instructions, a pre built SD card image (that needs an feeder update) and a shell script

post 8 does carry additional notes to supplement the attached docs.

There are two approaches:
                    1. Down load the operating system install it onto the SD card then install all the software on it
                    (I did this got the system working then removed my sharing key and saved the SD card imaged)

or

2. Download the SD card image, copy it to an SD card (1GB is fine) - edit the start up script to add your sharing key ... you have a working system.

All the rest of the thread is about issues people have had making this work - usually power supply issues, antennas, wifi and it got struck by lightening.

For wifi i have ordered a 'Vonets VAP11G' - moves the issues off the Pi.

There will be a new image soon (for the new Pi B+, presently I'm waiting for new minimal Rasbarian Linux version to be made available)

Comment

• Dear All,

Can anyone sujjest me some link to for image for RPI B+ and some installation guideline. I am tried to search in the forum and found a empty google drive.

Expert help badly needed.

Empty folder.png

Thanks,
                      Zahidul Hasan
                      T-VGHS1

Comment

• On the advise of Administrator piopawlu of thread "Flightradar24 decoder/feeder BETA testing (Win/RPi/Linux/OSX)", I read the FAQ section of PDF Guide.
                        Followed instructions in FAQ, and problem was solved. Please see three screenshots below. All action was taken from my Windows Desktop using SSH through PuTTY.
                        Now my RPI B+ running PiAware is feeding data to both FlightRadar24 and FlightAware.

FR24 setup on PiAware-1.PNG . FR24 setup on PiAware-2.PNG . FR24 setup on PiAware-3.PNG

Comment

• Originally posted by zahidulhasan View Post
                          Dear All,

Can anyone sujjest me some link to for image for RPI B+ and some installation guideline. I am tried to search in the forum and found a empty google drive.

Expert help badly needed.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5500[/ATTACH]

Thanks,
                          Zahidul Hasan
                          T-VGHS1
                          I am not an expert of RPi or Linux or Raspbian. In fact till last week I knew almost nothing about these things. I got my first Pi (R Pi B+) last week, and after struggling like you, finally installed Software.

What you need is 3 components as follows:
                          1- An operating system like Raspbian.
                          2- A decoder software like Dump1090
                          3- A Data Feeding software.

OPTION A:
                          You can install each component separately in the sequence shown above

OPTION B:
                          An easier option is to install PiAware from FlightAware. PiAware is a complete package containing all above three components in one image file, but its Data Feeder is for Flight Aware only. To feed FR24, you will have to install FR24 data feeder after installing PiAware.

I have prepared two 8 GB microSD cards, one with option A, and other with option B, and both work ok.

STEP 1- Install Raspbian Wheezy on microSD Card
                          Download Raspbian (Debian Wheezy) on your Desktop/Laptop from Raspberry Pi's Official Website http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/. Scroll down the page to find Raspbian Wheezy.

After download follow instructions on this page http://www.raspberrypi.org/documenta...ages/README.md.

You will need a TV/monitor, mouse & keyboard for first install. Select GUI option (Graphical User Interface like windows) when configuration starts at the end of install.

EDIT: Alternatively, instead of downloading Raspbian Wheezy from above noted page, you may download NOOBS from the same page, and choose option Raspbian during installation of NOOBS. Instruction for Installation of NOOBS are here http://www.raspberrypi.org/help/noobs-setup/

STEP 2- Install decoder Dump1090
                          This requires using console of Raspbian Wheezy. You can visit these two sites for instructions:
                          https://ferrancasanovas.wordpress.co...-installation/

http://www.satsignal.eu/raspberry-pi/dump1090.html

I will list the console commands here which I got from these sites:

Code:
                          sudo apt-get update
                          sudo apt-get upgrade
                          sudo apt-get install git-core
                          sudo apt-get install git 
                          sudo apt-get install cmake
                          sudo apt-get install libusb-1.0-0-dev
                          sudo apt-get install build-essential

git  clone  git://git.osmocom.org/rtl-sdr.git
                          cd  rtl-sdr
                          mkdir  build
                          cd  build
                          cmake  ../ -DINSTALL_UDEV_RULES=ON
                          make
                          sudo  make  install
                          sudo  ldconfig

cd ~
                          sudo  cp  ./rtl-sdr/rtl-sdr.rules  /etc/udev/rules.d/
                          sudo  reboot
                          cd  ~ 
                          git  clone  git://github.com/MalcolmRobb/dump1090.git
                          cd  dump1090
                          make
                          You may get following error message;
                          Code:
                          Kernel driver is active, or device is claimed by second instance
                          In the first case, please either detach or [B]blacklist[/B] the kernel
                          (dvb_usb_rtl28xxu), or enable automatic detaching at compile tim

usb_claim_interface error -6
                          Error opening the RTLSDR device: Device or resource busy
                          To solve this problem you have to create a blacklist file as follows:
                          Code:
                          cd  /etc/modprobe.d
                          sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/rtl-sdr-blacklist.conf
                          This will create & open the blacklist file rtl-sdr-blacklist.conf
                          type following lines in this file & save the file.
                          Code:
                          blacklist dvb_usb_rtl28xxu
                          blacklist e4000
                          blacklist rtl2832
                          To enable display of planes on Google Map in a Browser, give following command in console:
                          Code:
                          cd dump1090

STEP 3- Installation of FR24 Data feeder :
                          (Source: http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...-BETA-testing-)

Type following command in your console:
                          Code:
                          sudo wget http://feed.flightradar24.com/raspberry-pi/fr24feed_1.0.12-3_armhf.deb
                          This will download .deb installation file in Downloads folder of your RPi.
                          install the data feeding software using following console command:

Code:
                          sudo dpkg -i fr24feed_1.0.12-3_armhf.deb
                          If this is the first time you’re going to share data with FR24, use the command below:
                          Code:
                          sudo fr24feed --signup
                          If you have already obtained a a data sharing key from FR24, or are already sharing data with FR24 from another computer and want to now feed from RPi instead, use the same sharing key you already have, and start the configuration process by executing:
                          Code:
                          sudo fr24feed --reconfigure --fr24key=YOUR SHARING KEY
                          Complete the configuration wizard and start sharing your data by typing:
                          Code:
                          sudo service fr24feed start
                          Now run the command:
                          Code:
                          service fr24feed status
                          You will see following "Fail, Receiver down" (last line)
                          Code:
                          pi@piaware ~ $ service fr24feed status
                          [ ok ] FR24 Feeder/Decoder Process: running.
                          [ ok ] FR24 Stats Timestamp: 2015-01-21 17:46:02.
                          [ ok ] FR24 Link: connected [UDP].
                          [ ok ] FR24 Radar: T-CYYZ9.
                          [ ok ] FR24 Tracked AC:.
                          [[COLOR="#FF0000"][B]FAIL[/B][/COLOR]] Receiver: down ... [COLOR="#FF0000"][B]failed[/B][/COLOR]!
                          Then follow steps shown in the screenshots below:

FR24 setup on PiAware-1.PNG . FR24 setup on PiAware-2.PNG . FR24 setup on PiAware-3.PNG

Again run the command "service fr24feed status",
                          Now the message:
                          [FAIL] Receiver: down ... failed!

will be replaced by:
                          [ ok ] Receiver: connected (xxx MSGS/0 SYNC).

During the next system restart FR24 decoder/feeder will start automatically.

Download Guide (pdf) from here: http://feed.flightradar24.com/fr24feed-manual.pdf

GOOD LUCK!!!! সৌভাগ্য
                          Last edited by abcd567; 2015-03-08, 02:51.

Comment

• peterhr is not active anymore. He deleteled everything he did. I don't know the cause.

Comment

• Thanks abcd567 bro. Trying to follow your instruction.

Comment

• Originally posted by zahidulhasan View Post
                                Thanks abcd567 bro. Trying to follow your instruction.
                                Hi Zahidul!

For those who are not familiar with Linux and console commands, the commands I listed in STEP-2 & STEP-3 may be horrifying, and may discourage the person to go ahead.

If you are not familiar with Linux console commands, then only carry out STEP-1 (i.e. install Raspbian) and leave STEP-2 & STEP-3 for now.

Once the Raspbian is installed on your R Pi B+, play around with it for few days, Google to find tutorials on Raspbian console commands, and practice some basic commands. Once you become familiar with console commands, you can go ahead with STEP-2 & STEP-3

Comment

Working...
                                X